Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Distant voices: EVP

UM-Bot

news icon rThe Universal movie White Noise was released in January 2005 in the UK. It concerns the still little known paranormal occurrence of EVP, or electronic voice phenomena, in which discarnate voices are captured, at least for the

purposes of the film, through the medium of ‘white noise’, the soft, swishing sound that one finds – or could find before the airwaves filled up – at an inter-frequency position on the radio, or on the static-fille

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Fortean Times

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ROGER

• Great Big Sea

• Dr_Strangelove

• Princessvala

EVP kinda scares me, it seems to me that alot of people believe in it and believe that ghosts really put their voices or something like it on tape. And some people like to disproove it. They certainly like to disprove it on shows like Mystery Hunters and Creepy Canada etc.

EVP kinda scares me, it seems to me that alot of people believe in it and believe that ghosts really put their voices or something like it on tape. And some people like to disproove it. They certainly like to disprove it on shows like Mystery Hunters and Creepy Canada etc.

680444[/snapback]

It doesn't particularly scare me but I do have to wonder if people might abuse it. My wife and I recently saw 'White Noise' on DVD and really did enjoy the movie. The DVD also had a considerable amount of information about EVP and even some instructional items on how to capture EVP yourself. By the description they provided it would be astoundingly simple and relatively inexpensive.

The problem, at least as I see it, is the same as with Ouija boards; it gives people who are not prepared for the phenomena access to it. I really do believe that some people shouldn't be casually dabbling in this.

I don't know much about EVP, but have played with Radio and communications as a hobby for years. With the older radios(transceivers) the power of the wave makes bleed over called harmonics that carry the signal through a range of the Radio Spectrum. A friend of mine had an old police radio(tube type) from the 1950's that when transmitting came over a Public Address Speaker system 1/4 of a mile away. And Citizen Bands and Short Wave radios transmit with hundred of Watts of power. When these signals pass through a wire, they produce EMF that modulates to product sound over any speaker.

So proving an EVP in any place around people or Traffic is next to impossible. I, like most would Love for this to work. To talk to my Mother again would be the Greatest moment of my life. But I just don't think its possible with out local interference.

I don't know much about EVP, but have played with Radio and communications as a hobby for years. With the older radios(transceivers) the power of the wave makes bleed over called harmonics that carry the signal through a range of the Radio Spectrum. A friend of mine had an old police radio(tube type) from the 1950's that when transmitting came over a Public Address Speaker system 1/4 of a mile away. And Citizen Bands and Short Wave radios transmit with hundred of Watts of power. When these signals pass through a wire, they produce EMF that modulates to product sound over any speaker. 

So proving an EVP in any place around people or Traffic is next to impossible. I, like most would Love for this to work. To talk to my Mother again would be the Greatest moment of my life. But I just don't think its possible with out local interference.

684825[/snapback]

The gentleman that is the founder of this website, www.diepart.comalso does and has for several years work with Radio and communications for a living and he too is a HAM as hobby, but serious one at that with a 200 ft tower in his yard.

In the Paranormal research done by DIEPART, they want facts and are very skeptical, but have found numerous EVP's. I go along for my ability to feel the energy, but recently have started to train with the equipment. It's pretty interesting.

On a none tech level I agree, some people "Feel" the presents or Aurora of of other people and spirits. A friend of mine is an EMT on an Ambulance Crew, and he says he some times gets a feeling, like a small electric shock, when touching some people. He says he uses this feeling to judge his liking or dislike of them.

I happen to live right next to a Major Highway, so getting An EVP would be open to debate .

While i have been a believer in contacting the dead long before 'White Noise' came out, i think that it piqued the public's interest. Though it may only be a fad for the non-believers, i think it was a good idea to get EVP out there. The movie wasn't really that good, too much of a 'jump' movie for my likes and though some of it was pretty unbelievable, i think they did their homework before filming. original.gif

I happen to live right next to a Major Highway, so getting An EVP would be open to debate .

I didn't see white noise, and probably never will.. It's scary.. Batman listening for ghosts grin2.gif Seriously tho, it seems to push EVP over the top. Prior to the movie coming out, I never heard of people setting up EVP detection systems in thier house, but now, I know a few people that do..

My understanding of EVP has always been the good ole tape recorder, walking around a house asking questions.. then playing it back later to find them answer you, or greeting when you enter or exit a room.. stuff like that.

While the movie has brought a lot of attention to EVP, the question remains is it a good thing, or a bad thing.