Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Afterlife

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,233 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 28 January 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

I'm a beliefer in an afterlife..
& in a before-life..

Life, the way I see it, does end.. But imo there is a new beginning or new cycle after this one.. play nicely, and perhaps you get to choose a nice next cycle..
Play like adolph hitler, and perhaps you get to relive the lives of all those who you made suffer
Dunno..

T, I'm kinda curious as to how you can say that you believe in an afterlife yet next offer two 'perhaps' and one, I 'dunno'?

Correct me if I'm wrong. You believe in an afterlife and a beforelife, but you're still a bit shady about the particulars?

Hey, no theory is accurate, neither is mine. I'm just asking for clarification. :)

#17    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

Those who have actually experienced ghostly behaviour absolutely know that there is an afterlife. I am one of them.

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,218 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 28 January 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

Those who have actually experienced ghostly behaviour absolutely know that there is an afterlife. I am one of them.
I don't think we should "absolutely know" anything.  All we can know is what we see and hear and feel, and we know from experience that all our senses can err.

That said, we can and do have a high degree of confidence that certain things are true.  As far as it comes to ghosts and other such experiences, we have all had them.  What they tell us is largely up to us to decide.

For example, for myself, I am confident that my parents exist somewhere, as when I pray at the shrine I have for them (I am Vietnamese and practice what is in the West called "ancestor worship" -- although it is not "worship" but more "veneration") I sense their presence more strongly than other times.

Now a skeptical person can explain this in all sorts of ways -- my wishful thinking seems the most obvious.  I know better, but it is not something I can expect someone else to accept on such testimony.  So I respect their skepticism, and don't express myself in absolute terms.

#19    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,419 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 28 January 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

T, I'm kinda curious as to how you can say that you believe in an afterlife yet next offer two 'perhaps' and one, I 'dunno'?

Correct me if I'm wrong. You believe in an afterlife and a beforelife, but you're still a bit shady about the particulars?

Hey, no theory is accurate, neither is mine. I'm just asking for clarification. :)

The particulars are something none of us are privy to, and speculation is pointless and counter productive i think..
There are as many theories of the afterlife as there are people in the world.
Er I am going to get flack for this, but people who claim they know, and make such outragious claims as "i am they way, the truth and the light, no man cometh unto the Father, but by me" need to have their heads read imo..

*Dodging bullets*

The Afterlife belongs in the afterlife..
If people worried more about making their Currentlife better and worried less about the Afterlife then perhaps life would be more barable for all.

#20    knoga

knoga

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I have been searching for this answer for a very long time..when you have a lot of health problems you really want to know. Right now I believe again but not sure if I will feel this way later even though I have had some experiences that could be paranormal and have a family member who actually sees spirits.

Edited by knoga, 28 January 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#21    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

View Postknoga, on 28 January 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

I have been searching for this answer for a very long time..when you have a lot of health problems you really want to know. Right now I believe again but not sure if I will feel this way later even though I have had some experiences that could be paranormal and have a family member who actually sees spirits.
I had a lot of pain when I was younger myself and was in and out of the hospitals very frequently, I cant say I was really focused on whether or not there was an afterlife, I was more trying to deal with the pain which took a significant amount of my concentration.  I once read that Harry Houdini was really in search of whether there was an afterlife and he and his wife made an agreement that whichever one of them died first  would do everything possible to try and contact the other from the otherside.  

I dont believe that there is an afterlife, once you die thats it your not aware of anything anymore and that thought doesnt scare me I see it more as the ultimate peace.

I dont believe in hell either I think the people that did rotten things with there life after they die there just dead.  

Reminds me of this saying:  At the end of the game, pawns and kings go back into the same box.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#22    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,859 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 27 January 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

Im just posting this wondering how many people believe that there is an afterlife, and also do you believe that there is a Hell like place that people go to when they die If they've done unspeakable things when they were living.  For instance your Hitlers and say serial killers.

I know a lot of what people believe is based on ideas that were ingrained in them when they were young children and If you've changed your thinking as you have gotten older in regards to what happens when someone dies.
I certainly do. As to hell... Well I believe it is a state not a place. a state of being completely consumed by fear. I think in time spirits work their way out of this state possibly with help, and I think nearly everyone experiences a bit of it as they adjust. Being a state, I don't think one has to be dead to experience it.

Edited by Seeker79, 28 January 2013 - 07:01 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#23    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 28 January 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

I certainly do. As to hell... Well I believe it is a state not a place. a state of being completely consumed by fear. I think in time spirits work their way out of this state possibly with help, and I think nearly everyone experiences a bit of it as they adjust. Being a state, I don't think one has to be dead to experience it.
I see what your saying, Im alive and theres times that Iv felt I was in hell, I see how it can be a pyschological thing, like you said a state of mind.  I just dont believe that when a person dies based on the deeds they did in life they would go to a place like hell.  I mean death is enough in my opinion, theres no need to suffer beyond death. But thats just my opinion

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#24    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,859 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 28 January 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

I see what your saying, Im alive and theres times that Iv felt I was in hell, I see how it can be a pyschological thing, like you said a state of mind.  I just dont believe that when a person dies based on the deeds they did in life they would go to a place like hell.  I mean death is enough in my opinion, theres no need to suffer beyond death. But thats just my opinion
No I don't see the point in it either. My question would then be who made that rule. Isn't it more compassionate to find a way to rehabilitate rather than torture. If a being is really advanced enough to make that kind of decision for you, then why can't it be creative enough to find a better way. Even just death. Why capital punishment? Why not let the soul duke it out with its own ego until it finaly figures it out... Reincarnation... 100 things make more sense.

Edited by Seeker79, 28 January 2013 - 09:08 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#25    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,685 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

What is behind door #2?

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#26    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

I think there is an after life after we are dead for a while we are reborn.

#27    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

View Postjoc, on 29 January 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

What is behind door #2?
Joc I like your thinking on what ghosts may be but we can never really be sure

#28    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,685 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 29 January 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

Joc I like your thinking on what ghosts may be but we can never really be sure
No one can tell me what is behind door #2.   The best anyone can do is guess.  I guess there is nothing behind the door.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#29    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

View Postjoc, on 29 January 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

No one can tell me what is behind door #2.   The best anyone can do is guess.  I guess there is nothing behind the door.
Sounds good to me :tu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users