Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why werewolves give us the willies

Still Waters

Linda Godfrey is so sure about the existence of weird walking wolves that she's written a book titled "Real Wolfmen: True Encounters in Modern America." In more than 300 pages, she lays out dozens of stories about sightings of nasty-looking beasts running around on their hairy hind legs. Scientists are unconvinced — but they do admit that humans are virtually hard-wired to watch out for wolves on the darkness.

http://cosmiclog.nbc...-us-the-willies

• Like 1

Hmm. I always thought werewolves were kind of lame actually.

• Like 4

That's a skull of a two-toed sloth. They are the closest living relative of the supposedly extinct Ground Sloth :

*snip*

Imo The Gable film wasn't a hoax (can't be a man in suit this time) and fossil trackway show that some types of Ground Sloth were able to walk bipedally. This is probably the best answer to me for the Werewolves sightings around the Great Lakes.

Edited by Saru
Removed copyrighted image
  • Like 2

That's a skull of a two-toed sloth. They are the closest living relative of the supposedly extinct Ground Sloth :

Imo The Gable film wasn't a hoax (can't be a man in suit this time) and fossil trackway show that some types of Ground Sloth were able to walk bipedally. This is probably the best answer to me for the Werewolves sightings around the Great Lakes.

Makes sense to me. Sloths have very large claws. If I saw something big, hairy, big claws & walking upright coming at me I'd probably drop a duce in my pants. Course, this could coincide with bigfoot sightings too.

Interesting things to muse on. :)

• Like 1

Ground sloths are so cool!

Ground sloths are awesome animals. People prefer werewolves to these excellent beasts? Have they no taste?

• Like 2

Have to admit I do like werewolves, but it's probably something to do with the wolfy aspect. Vampires bore me; especially these pseudo-romantic floppy fops in frilly shirts and cravats.... I've always been drawn to the more animalistic monsters.

• Like 2

Have to admit I do like werewolves, but it's probably something to do with the wolfy aspect. Vampires bore me; especially these pseudo-romantic floppy fops in frilly shirts and cravats.... I've always been drawn to the more animalistic monsters.

Vampires are pretty boring, but I've read a few good books involving vampires. Try reading David Wellington's Thirteen Bullets if you want some really interesting vampires. Werewolves to me are just boring, human most of the time? Boooo. My favorite of the old school movie monsters are zombies. The really old school slow ones. Sure they're not scary by themselves but if you make a noise, they congregate in mass towards the location, then it's scary. I've always enjoyed the scenes in movies showing the massive crowds of zombies.

• Like 1

No offence, but your opinion is wrong. The Gable Film is an admitted hoax. Mike Agursa is the guy who did it and admitted that it was faked.

Werewolves and vampires were ruined for me when people starting fangirling over them and began using them as romance/"sexy" fluff. That and they're too human for my tastes.

• Like 3

Werewolves and vampires were ruined for me when people starting fangirling over them and began using them as romance/"sexy" fluff. That and they're too human for my tastes.

I agree 100% the vampires I grew up with were cold blooded monsters or even a plague type of creature, the werewolves also when they were in wolf form. Now days they got little girls wanting to have sex with them, come on !!!

• Like 2

Sometimes I get scared when I think about werewolves, but then I remember that THEY ARE FAKE. Imaginary, pretend. Full of crapola. Then I feel better.

• Like 1

I never really believed werewolves were real, so they don't give me the willies............I do enjoy a good movie about them every so often......especially if they have some chesty girls running around screaming mostly nekked.

......I'm sorry......what was I talking about?

No offence, but your opinion is wrong. The Gable Film is an admitted hoax. Mike Agursa is the guy who did it and admitted that it was faked.

Can a man in ghillie suit take off while running on all fours ? That's suspicious. Anyway that's not the first time Monster Quest can't get to the bottom of it. They never seem to exploit rightly their "findings".

Hmm. I always thought werewolves were kind of lame actually.

Vampires are pretty boring, but I've read a few good books involving vampires. Try reading David Wellington's Thirteen Bullets if you want some really interesting vampires. Werewolves to me are just boring, human most of the time? Boooo. My favorite of the old school movie monsters are zombies. The really old school slow ones. Sure they're not scary by themselves but if you make a noise, they congregate in mass towards the location, then it's scary. I've always enjoyed the scenes in movies showing the massive crowds of zombies.

I enjoy some werewolf films such as The Wolf Man, Curse Of The Werewolf, and An American Werewolf In London.

I really dont know any great werewolf literature, unless The Wolfen counts, that was a creepy book. I havent read the classic Werewolf In Paris by Guy Endore. Dont know if I will.

Otherwise yes, werewolves are rather boring I agree. And vampires arent any better.

I can only wholeheartedly recommend 4 vampire stories Carmilla, Dracula, I Am Legend, and Salem's Lot. I could probably count classic vampire films I love on both hands. Otherwise I refuse to touch any vampire literature. Because there is nothing original.

Can a man in ghillie suit take off while running on all fours ? That's suspicious.

[media=]

[/media]

Why should it be suspicious? We all got around on four legs before learning to walk upright...

There are plenty more examples: http://www.youtube.c...c.1.FiPWLloJVsU

Sure but not fast enough nor built for that to have all fours disconnected from the ground at the same time...

Ground sloths are so cool!

I prefer my sloth as a steak, not ground.

• Like 1

I don't believe in any "monster", including the human kind who get "fatally" shot or stabbed but carry on to kill again, or man-eating space aliens.

In film or in a book is the only place these things live, for me, and if done well, can be scary.

But I am not afraid of encountering any of them while taking out the trash.

But a really creepy/scary book or film can make me jumpy for a while! :passifier:

Yeah I can get behind that. Because there's something slightly pathetic in zombies, and I guess the true horror is the danger you'll end up just like that.

To be honest ever since I discovered Lovecraft and his cohorts many years ago any other monster has been sort of rendered moot. :P