Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saudi women with attractive eyes may be

Still Waters

Women with attractive eyes may be forced to cover them up under Saudi Arabia's latest repressive measure, it was revealed today.

The ultra-conservative Islamic state has said it has the right to stop women revealing 'tempting' eyes in public.

A spokesperson for Saudi Arabia's Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, Sheikh Motlab al Nabet, said a proposal to enshrine the measure in law has been tabled.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yamato

• Helen of Annoy

• Lilly

• meryt-tetisheri

Un-fracking-believable. Exactly how weak willed are these Saudi Arabian men?? Do they have no self control? Why don't they just ban women outright and abstain from any and all sexual activity? The only thing all these laws against women do is to show exactly how weak and powerless the men are.

Un-fracking-believable. Exactly how weak willed are these Saudi Arabian men?? Do they have no self control? Why don't they just ban women outright and abstain from any and all sexual activity? The only thing all these laws against women do is to show exactly how weak and powerless the men are.

It's the CPVPV making these decisions, not Saudi Arabian men in general. They're following Islamic Sharia law set back in the Quran and times of Muhammad. Once again, a case of religion trumping progression and evolution in society and its people.

But don't blame Saudi Arabian men, and men in general, as a blanket accusation. This is what they know and all they have learned, and they will be harshly punished for thinking otherwise. There's a much bigger picture that shows who may or may not be to blame for things like this.

Edited by Jerry Only

Saudi women have no rights or representation in their government. The men are in control they make the laws. I don't buy the argument it is not their fault. IMO they are cowards. What a way to treat your daughters, wives and mothers. :ph34r:<_<

The men are in control they make the laws. I don't buy the argument it is not their fault.

They're forced to follow what the Quran says. Their whole society is based around following that religious text. And the Quran teaches that women are worth less than men in many ways, and gives clear rules on how they are to be treated.

Look to the root of the problem. I find it a huge deal how king Abdullah is making small changes to the traditions and customs; really groundbreaking stuff.

Another reason why organized religion in general is bs...

They're forced to follow what the Quran says. Their whole society is based around following that religious text. And the Quran teaches that women are worth less than men in many ways, and gives clear rules on how they are to be treated.

Look to the root of the problem. I find it a huge deal how king Abdullah is making small changes to the traditions and customs; really groundbreaking stuff.

I can't claim to know the Quran in any detail but I do know many muslim people. What I have been given to understand from them is that the covering of hair etc is a Woman's choice only, as part of her journey, just as the growing of the beard etc are a mans personal choice and their own journey - it is nowhere written that such a thing can be imposed on a Woman or man by any law or person - the interpretation of Sharia law by a patriarchal society has led to this NOT Islamic principles, this is what is commonly said to me from moderates in that faith.

I agree with others who have said these men are cowards and lilly-livered - they blame others for their own so called "sin" and avoid responsibility for themselves in the process - immature, ignorant and lacking of any beneficial wisdom is where this kind of action sits with me quite frankly.

So a 'god' made the choice of covering your eyes, so why create them in the first place?

Saudi Arabia is a terrorist nation and there version of the Quran or there take on it is extremely miss guided. Billions of muslims around the world and we don`t see this except for extremist nations that care little about human rights. To even be allied or a freindly accociated nation to Saudi Arabia is embarassing as hell.

Saudi Arabia should be sanctioned and labeled a global threat the same as Iran or North Korea if not more so. Was Saddam Hussein resposible for 911 no, was Osama bin Laden maybe probably but look at who we call an allie. Those that attacked us and yet we the west kiss them.

We do we the west fight for others so called freedom while ignoring others and there violations. We are guilty by association by having anything to do with SA.

Not stating this to start a 911 debate but damn, outside pressure is how change starts. Sanction SA and put political pressure on this criminal state to smartin up. Label the state as a human rights violator. That should put some pressure on them to change within.

Edited by The Silver Thong

Hi, Thong :st

You made me break my vow not to waste my time with such topics... :D

War against terrorism could be won in one simple step: cut their finances.

Since Saudis are let to use their money (they extorted from everyone who has to buy gas) for financing terrorism I cant make any other conclusion but the following: the worst conspiracy theories are actually true.

That being said, the new Saudi law against tempting eyes was probably made by a guy who managed to marry cross-eyed girl in each of his four tries. I understand he must be sick and tired of being teased about it, but maybe if they had less strict laws and he was able to see brides before the marriage...

Edited by Helen of Annoy

if women have to cover every inch of their body, even their eyes, how do people tell them apart? i imagine it could cause some confusion, like if a man is out with his wife and when they come home, he finds that the woman hes with is someone else he got confused with halfway through the day.

if women have to cover every inch of their body, even their eyes, how do people tell them apart? i imagine it could cause some confusion, like if a man is out with his wife and when they come home, he finds that the woman hes with is someone else he got confused with halfway through the day.

Yeah, would also make escaping into a crowd quite an easy task.

Hi, Thong :st

You made me break my vow not to waste my time with such topics... :D

War against terrorism could be won in one simple step: cut their finances.

Since Saudis are let to use their money (they extorted from everyone who has to buy gas) for financing terrorism I can’t make any other conclusion but the following: the worst conspiracy theories are actually true.

That being said, the new Saudi law against tempting eyes was probably made by a guy who managed to marry cross-eyed girl in each of his four tries. I understand he must be sick and tired of being teased about it, but maybe if they had less strict laws and he was able to see brides before the marriage...

Hiya Helen :)

You said it, cut the backing of this terrorist nation. Stop the kissing and fess up. We Fubard the region with greed and that is why crap like this is acceptable in there nation. If the west were to pull out of that nation and have them become self reliant we might start seeing women cab drivers god forbid and with there eyes and faces free of a hockey mask so they can shoulder check when changing lanes.

We the west by supporting SA in anyway have become the hypocrites. It is but a few the dictate that country but that would change if the west didn`t promote it. I am ashamed that my country even deals with them.

So, because MEN are tempted by women, women are to be covered up and they chalk this up to religion? In this day and age? Good grief.

As backwards as Saudi Arabia is, who are we to tell them how to live?

They have been living this way for thousands of years, our libertine societal experiment is just a blip on the map compared to this ancient kingdom.

They have been living this way for thousands of years, our libertine societal experiment is just a blip on the map compared to this ancient kingdom.

Not to totally hijack the conversation, BUT where do you draw the line? Is this (the entire islamic/sharia viewpoint towards women) a violation of a person's human rights? If so Then where do we as a nation and as a global society draw the line in terms of what is acceptable and what isn't?

Arkansas is backwards.....Persia in general is a living breathing human rights violation

Expiry date. I always check it before I use anything, from yoghurt to ideologies.

And speaking of ancient things, is Colosseum in Rome or in Riyadh?

Blip indeed, bleeeeep actually...

Edited by Helen of Annoy

I take it you are a hardcore right wing guy. By supporting this nation and remaining allies with it makes us a partner in crime. Crimes against humanity and freedom that you seem to not care much for. If the U.S. still burned people at the stake for being witches because it has been done for what ever amount of time make it ok.

You are also wrong to think they have lived this way for thousands of years. Are you not sure how to use a calander and date history. When was sharia law intraduced wiseone. Islam has only been around for about 1400 years.

I dare you to look at what Iran was like but a mere 40 years ago to see this poision spread.

This is what Iran use to be like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnUotT1qVns

SA was the same.

This map may tell you something

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mapsofworld.com/images/middle-east-map.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mapsofworld.com/middle-east-map.html&h=761&w=699&sz=281&tbnid=frcCjAETVhAqOM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=83&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmap%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bmiddle%2Beast%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=map+of+the+middle+east&docid=RX3gp8objDji-M&sa=X&ei=gCTITsTtE6OhiQK_lMzIDw&ved=0CDsQ9QEwBA&dur=2464

I take it you are a hardcore right wing guy. By supporting this nation and remaining allies with it makes us a partner in crime. Crimes against humanity and freedom that you seem to not care much for. If the U.S. still burned people at the stake for being witches because it has been done for what ever amount of time make it ok.

You are also wrong to think they have lived this way for thousands of years. Are you not sure how to use a calander and date history. When was sharia law intraduced wiseone. Islam has only been around for about 1400 years.

I dare you to look at what Iran was like but a mere 40 years ago to see this poision spread.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HnUotT1qVns

SA was the same.

http://www.google.ca...9QEwBA&dur=2464

Wow, hey?

There is telling people how t o live (PETA anyone) and then there is the problem with someone not being treated as a human being. These women are mere possessions and are treated as less than equal. when women are still stoned, there is a problem. When women are punished for being raped because they are with a man other than their husband, there is a problem and they need our help.

Wow, hey?

It`s to bad the extreme right wingers don`t see that there way of thinking leades to dictaorship. Combine that with religion and you have a serious problem. Religion and goverment equals nothing but blood.

Wow, hey?

There is telling people how t o live (PETA anyone) and then there is the problem with someone not being treated as a human being. These women are mere possessions and are treated as less than equal. when women are still stoned, there is a problem. When women are punished for being raped because they are with a man other than their husband, there is a problem and they need our help.

And when women are treated like sub-humans in Saudi Arabia, we all sigh and pass the kool aid. And send billions upon billions of our money to the place so we can guzzle down our real interests.

Nice try; no principle.

Find some good standards and apply them across the board and earn some respect in the world. Thus, I'm not suggesting selling Iran tens of billions of dollars in advanced military weapons and buying tens of billions of dollars of their oil. I'm not suggesting threatening, sanctioning, or starting wars on Saudi Arabia either. I'm merely suggesting relieving yourself of this deliberate ignorance and double standard.

If one in four girls are raped by the time they're 18 years old in this country, if girls have a 1 in 10 chance of getting raped in five years of college, maybe Iran needs to come over here and bomb us for our social problems too. Because they know better for the rest of us how to dress our girls, or how not to gamble, or prostitute, or get abortions, or not pray five times a day, or what ever.

How socially liberal are you, Republicans? Change doesn't come from Washington DC. Get that clue already.

What are you going to do, invade Saudi Arabia and force them to change their ways??? Or send the Hillary envoy to the UAE to give speeches on human rights and "sanctions" for non-compliant Arab states? :lol:

These age old policies are failing... Kosher, pro-US/Israel governments are falling left and right throughout the Mideast. If we left them alone, maybe they would stop hating us.

Step 1 in this process would be legislation that banned foreign lobbies, notably that of Israel in Washington, DC, the largest of all lobbies, larger than the NRA and the Teamsters. We need to stop allowing ourselves to be pawns in the middle of Israel's two thousand year old tribal squabbles with other Arab tribes.

Edited by make me believe

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HnUotT1qVns

SA was the same.

http://www.google.ca...9QEwBA&dur=2464

In case anyone missed it - extremism is a pervasive force that can alter the course of millions of lives in a single generation. That clip is very important I think as an example of what tolerance of human rights abuses in religion can produce - its sad and frightening and definitely poison.:cry:

honestly - nothing we (the west) will do will make a difference. unless the people there are willing to stand up for some decent rights (want to stand up for some decent rights), nothing will change. the people have to want change for change to happen. otherwise we are waisting both money and lives. and wow - lets leave the left/right out of this. neitherside has done any good when it comes to this sorta thing. :w00t: peace. :innocent:

The peninsula has never really been as progressive as Iran. The strict ultra conservative Wahhabi school, the isolation, full veiling of women, restrictions on their movements…etc., are all 'local' cultural features of their nomadic societies. It was the abundance of petrodollars that allowed their rulers to actively export this 'ideology' to their impoverished neighbors as means of political leverage,combined with missionary zeal; for example, just one Salafi group in Egypt has received L.E.292 million from Qatar and Kuwait within the last few months.Petrodollars empower and enable, and will continue to do so, until oil is replaced by another source of energy, thus cutting the funding. Short of that,nothing can be done. This is the reality of the area, 'unfortunate' for general neighboring societies, 'tragic' for women & minorities.

As for the 'what can we do', 'where do we draw the line' questions, simply being aware, discussing, exposing, and even laughing at or mocking the extreme absurdity of such new-fangled laws as the OP, is doing something. The 'line' is that between political correctness and apathy or moral indolence.

Or, it would be more humane to simply blind fold vulnerable Saudi men who are 'tempting-eye' challenged!