Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Countries ban ridiculous baby names

UM-Bot

Several surprising and unconventional names have been declared illegal in some parts of the world.

It stands to reason that not every possible name will be considered acceptable in all countries, however in some regions the choice of banned names is somewhat surprising.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/275343/countries-ban-ridiculous-baby-names

stoopid humanity, at its best!

I heard a guy named his child Gannondorf. Let me tell you, that's okay. I like that name. Seriously, how far does this span, cause I could say my own name is ridiculous (it isn't). What defines a ridiculous baby name?

I actually do know a person named Me; shortened from Melinda. She is one of the few people who actually make sense when saying "Hi, it's Me" on the phone. Me considered naming her son Him. Fortunately, her husband intervened.

• Like 1

Saudi Arabia banned the names Elaine, Linda and Alice... I wonder why?

Probably considered "too Western"... Either that or they don't show up in the Koran...

While I was stationed in Iraq, there was a local Iraqi woman working as a contractor on base, her name was Rehab (not pronounced like re-hab but Ra-hahb)... She was an Iraqi Christian, and explained that she

had a lot of problems growing up (and even as an adult she was getting death threats) because the Biblical Rehab, was the woman in Jericho who helped the Jews take the city... Those people over there are very

serious about their names...

• Like 1

"a boy named sue" comes to mind.

but that was just a song, whereas 'celebrities' seem to be trying to outdo each other these days with stoopid names.

• Like 1

Sadly, it came too late for Moon Unit and Dweezle Zappa.

• Like 5

she

had a lot of problems growing up (and even as an adult she was getting death threats) Those people over there are very

serious about their names...

Bob Geldof & Frank Zappa's kids must be s***ting themselves!

Edited by shrooma

The British media is being selective and anti-Muslim in bringing up those three names banned in Saudi Arabia.

Anyway that country is an ally of the West. But slack-jawed public won't understand this anyway.

when I was born into a catholic family they were told I had to be named after a saint or they wouldn't baptize me!!

• Like 1

when I was born into a catholic family they were told I had to be named after a saint or they wouldn't baptize me!!

There's a Saint Dannyboy?
  • Like 3

The British media is being selective and anti-Muslim in bringing up those three names banned in Saudi Arabia.

Anyway that country is an ally of the West. But slack-jawed public won't understand this anyway.

I not sure why we would want to be allied with, a nation that treats women like third-class citizens.

Edited by Karasu
  • Like 2

Seriously? Ally of the west? Women can't drive there and can't leave the country without the husband's permission, etc., etc.

Anti-Muslim? They are anti-women and anti-Christian.

I think you are the one who is "slack-jawed".

I not sure why we would want to be allied with, a nation that treats women like third-class citizens.

Thank you. Exactly.

You can have a Saint's name as a middle name. :)

• Like 2

Aaaah names....

As an expectant Father, I am currently going through the agonising process of choosing a name for my unborn daughter. Let me tell you how difficult it is coming up with names that fit into the narrow, Welsh oriented criteria set out by my boss eerm wife.

Now all I need to do is find a country that has a ban list for all the ridiculous welsh names my wife comes up with and propose a holiday there around the due date.

• Like 2

The name Tom is disallowed in Portugal, huh?

M'eh, i'm American, superior in every conceivable way!

Just kidding, my Portuguese friends. Joking around is kinda' my thing. ;)

• Like 2

Good. And today's wimpy names should be banned. Bring back George, Robert, James, John, William.....and Jennifer, Lisa, and Michelle. Do you want Aiden or Kyle defending our country? Or Kelsi or Madison cooking and cleaning the house? Ain't gonna happen

• Like 2

Good. And today's wimpy names should be banned. Bring back George, Robert, James, John, William.....and Jennifer, Lisa, and Michelle. Do you want Aiden or Kyle defending our country? Or Kelsi or Madison cooking and cleaning the house? Ain't gonna happen

Yeah, and what about Bruce and Lance and Julian?

i mentioned the other day that if i had a son, i'd name him Easel.

So the other kids would be like:

'Easel? Is your dad an artist?'

And Easel would reply:

'Artist? He can't even draw a stick figure! i guess he just wanted me to get beat up a lot.'

• Like 1

Aaaah names....

As an expectant Father, I am currently going through the agonising process of choosing a name for my unborn daughter. Let me tell you how difficult it is coming up with names that fit into the narrow, Welsh oriented criteria set out by my boss eerm wife.

Now all I need to do is find a country that has a ban list for all the ridiculous welsh names my wife comes up with and propose a holiday there around the due date.

I'm American and I will state my favorite girl names: Emily, Lily, Angelina, Angelique, Emmeline, Aeofe and Kelly.

Best to you all! Congrats :)

does this include internet usernames lol?

Well, to be more accurate Tom is not forbidden in Portugal, you can use it as long as you foreign roots, for example if the parents are from the UK than its ok, if the parents are portuguese they have to use portuguese version of the name Tomás, and people will end up calling the child Tom

I'm not sure I particularly like the idea of countries/governments restricting what a parent can and cannot name their children, if it's a completely ridiculous name, like those in Mexico that occurred, then I understand, but when you get into the realms of looking up people's ancestry to see if it justifies them calling their child a certain name then I think that's a bit too far. I'm not a particular fan of the use of biblical names that occurred in England after the Norman conquest, there were some great Old English names that went out of favour in place of the usual John, Daniel, Thomas, etc., (although the less overtly Old English first names are still used, we just often don't think of them as such) and I'd hate to think if anyone did want to name their child such and such a name they would be stopped.

Are they being anti-Portugese by bringing up Portugal? Anti-Chinese by bringing up China? Anti-Mexican by bringing up Mexico? Anti New Zealander by bringing up New Zealand? Anti-Swedish by bringing up Sweden?

How is it "selective" when you're listing six different countries...? Or is it simply the case that you think any comment concerning a country with a large population of Muslims should be subject to a conversation blackout in order to please you?

Putting aside whatever 'the West' can be defined as, calling an autocratic, hard-line religiously run kingdom with significant human rights issues, completely backwards attitudes and limitations imposed on women, and, oh yeah, capital punishment for homosexuality, an 'ally' is something that should induce a degree of disgust, not praise. But sure, go on calling others 'slack-jawed'.

Edited by TheSpoonyOne
  • Like 2

More examples of Muppets from around the World...

Selfish muppets that do not understand the effects a ridiculous name may have on their child and are only concerned with pushing their heroes or attempts at comedy onto their unsuspecting children.

Controlling muppets who think they can decide what a parent can name their child.

When my mother was registered my grandmother decided to spell her traditional name in a more modern kind of way (this was 1954), the lady at births and registrars told her this was ridiculous and refused to spell it as requested, my Grandmother conformed and spelt the name as suggested. I could not imagine this happening today, I would not stand for a person in that position telling me how to spell my child's name, unfortunately many people don't which is why we have abstract and phonetically spelt versions of names today.

I am not a fan of overly unique and abstract names, but in my day they were considered a great way of toughening a kid up, especially giving a boy a girls name,