Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NBC's Home invasion defense tips

F3SS

The TODAY Show expert told viewers to prepare themselves for intruders by having two items next to their beds:

Car keys

Wasp Spray

-----

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/09/13/nbcs-advice-for-dealing-with-a-home-invasion-wasp-spray-and-car-alarms-no-mention-of-guns/

-----

Should a beeping car alarm or wasp spray fail to prevent a home invasion, the NBC report suggests being polite and directing the bad guys to your cash and valuables. The former detective told Rosser, “You want to treat them like royalty.” He added, “On top of that, you don’t want to lie to them.”

These are great tips. Don't forget to bend over for them too.

• Like 9

I think I'll just hang on to my little 44/410 Cowboy derringer :w00t:

• Like 4

Hey thanks for the info, F3SS!

I'm gonna get a can of lemony smell wasp spray and lots of personal lube. That should make the intruder very happy.

• Like 7

I wish this was a joke but sadly people really are morons

• Like 5

I think the guy giving out this advice is a professional burglar. Who else would say this to people?

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 4

I think the guy giving out this advice is a professional burglar. Who else would say this to people?

There you go! Or else NBC is interested in people that do actually get home-invaded to become nice little victims.

/explicative

• Like 2

It's good advice, but better advice is make it so home invaders can't get in. That is one of the amazing things about the States -- people don't bar their windows. This and other similar things American's don't do must make life easy for burglars so you have a lot of them.

• Like 2

They are advising incorrect usage is all.

Car keys are a formidable set of brass knuckles - when holding the base of the key in your hand and poking the serrated "opening" end between your fingers, they make a very decent weapon, and wasp spray makes handy mini flamethrower with a lighter at hand. That's how I use it to actually kill wasps.

it says 135 home invasions happen a day, I thought it was touted as higher than that, but it does not say the nature of any of them. Was a weapon required to avert and single one of them?

He said treat them like royalty? Is that when they have a weapon on you and you have no choice? Beep your car alarm? It's "every man for himself" there isn't it? Would anyone come to a car alarm beeping? Who would care? They go off all the time? Even here that would be nothing more than a laughable suggestion.

The advice is stupid and I expect something of a set up. As you know, we do not have that level of crime here, but I would call those suggestions pretty stupid. I would not consider that valuable advice and I doubt many would. Considering the ambiguous stats presented on home invasion, it looks a bit like a set up joke article to me designed to make Gun Control look as silly as these suggestions are.

• Like 2

I don't even see anything about the very BEST home defense... A dog. Even having a tiny dog is very likely to stop even a determined, or stoned, thief.

Keys and bug spray? Stupidity....

• Like 3

it says 135 home invasions happen a day, I thought it was touted as higher than that, but it does not say the nature of any of them. Was a weapon required to avert and single one of them?

I think 135 is the average reported number. Many/most go unreported. But 135 times 365 is only around 50,000. Which is well short of the million to 5 million the NRA puts forward.

• Like 2

It's good advice, but better advice is make it so home invaders can't get in. That is one of the amazing things about the States -- people don't bar their windows. This and other similar things American's don't do must make life easy for burglars so you have a lot of them.

I think it is terrible advice Frank. Nobody cares about car alarms and the spray might just make someone madder. A big dog would be the best advice I would think.

I think 135 is the average reported number. Many/most go unreported. But 135 times 365 is only around 50,000. Which is well short of the million to 5 million the NRA puts forward.

I do not know why they hype it up, the only people that take those numbers seriously are the people who want to. Just makes them look like big fibbers.

Edited by psyche101

I once encountered a burglar when I was in my mid 20's way back then ... still in Art College ~ I laughed and laughed so hard the idiot just gave up and walked out ~

I hardly had enough to barely eat ~ the idiot thought all the students were wealthy or at the least 'rich' ~ saw him again months later and this time I was not alone ~ I think he had two fingers broken and lost a cup of blood or two ~

Thing is these 'criminals' targets poorly because they are opportunistic parasites ~ not the predators that is the hard core criminals, in which case the ones that probably knows exactly what and who you have in the house and is prepared to have whatever they came for ... whatever the 'protection' you have available to yourself ~

~

• Like 2

I know I ignore car alarms when they go off, just because they go off all the time for no reason it seems like

• Like 1

We prefer not to live like prisoners, thank you. We also don't like walls or ten foot fences with barbed wire on the top of them. What you don't see are the alarm systems, virtually unbreakable glass in the windows and there are beautiful, decorative metal security doors with metal frames.

The neighborhoods that have bars on the windows are slums that we avoid like the plague.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 7

Or course, even better would be to be to have a nice alarm system, but pack a powerful firearm nearby to defend your home, family and loved ones with lethal force. You know, to not play the happy little victim, exercise some common sense, not take any chances, and do what's right.

• Like 3

We prefer not to live like prisoners, thank you. We also don't like walls or ten foot fences with barbed wire on the top of them. What you don't see are the alarm systems, virtually unbreakable glass in the windows and there are beautiful, decorative metal security doors with metal frames.

The neighborhoods that have bars on the windows are slums that we avoid like the plague.

Yes the slums have them for the most part. It doesn't involve living like prisoners -- obviously you've not been in prison. That is just a rather tired cliche.

Stopping criminals is a civic responsibility, and doing so with passive defenses is the only compassionate way.

• Like 2

Yes the slums have them for the most part. It doesn't involve living like prisoners -- obviously you've not been in prison. That is just a rather tired cliche.

Stopping criminals is a civic responsibility, and doing so with passive defenses is the only compassionate way.

Which is clearly covered in my post. Do you not think those things are as effective as bars? I can tell you, my husband does make some money off of repairing or replacing bars and gates people have destroyed breaking into homes and businesses.

• Like 1

Which is clearly covered in my post. Do you not think those things are as effective as bars? I can tell you, my husband does make some money off of repairing or replacing bars and gates people have destroyed breaking into homes and businesses.

Seems you want to have your cake and eat it too.
  • Like 1

Seems you want to have your cake and eat it too.

Which in no way answers the question I posed. What is the difference between having bars or having virtually unbreakable windows in more affluent areas?

Yes, we do have slums that require desperate measures such as bars. We happen to be in the welding business and in a position to help the people who need them.

really?? passive defences??? compassionate way??? lmao. here we have an opportunity, to remove theves, and robbers from the world of living. do not wanna get killed, do not brake into peoples houses. plain and simple.

sounds like your idea is to turn another cheek, my idea is to remove the hand that slapped the first cheek. never give it another chance to slap you again,.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Which in no way answers the question I posed. What is the difference between having bars or having virtually unbreakable windows in more affluent areas?

Yes, we do have slums that require desperate measures such as bars. We happen to be in the welding business and in a position to help the people who need them.

I answered it. You just want to have a fight.
  • Like 1