Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

why do people believe dinosaurs exist

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I don't understand how people can believe in them existing. it's just not likely at all. the food they'd have to eat would be imense, how would they survive exinction, the atmosphere and climate is totally different. its just not possible. but people still inisist on seeing them.
why?

#2    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,930 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

If you want to be pedantic, you could argually that dinosaurs do exist today.  Birds are descended from feathered theropod dinosaurs so cladistically they could be considered dinosaurs.  So people see dinosaurs everyday.

Edited by Archimedes, 26 February 2013 - 06:26 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,206 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Plus, there's Barney!

#4    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,043 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

and whoooo loves Barney ??

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#5    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,510 posts

• Just because it is in a book doesn't mean it is real or even remotely true.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Well..there is this inconvenient thing called "fossils" and then you have the whole 'carbon dating' and all that so the physical evidence speaks for itself.
And considering that most of the dinosaurs were lizards or partial lizards meant that they did not need to eat as often as mammals PLUS many were probably opportunistic feeders or carrion eaters.
Of course there are also the herbivores too.

The same questions can be asked of about any animal too..think of primates..most of them eat all day long yet there always seems to be enough for the trees and bushes to replenish. How about whales or elephants? They're huge, eat alot yet still exist.

Of course if you happen to be a Christian who believes the Earth is only 5000 years old and all the fossils are fakes planted by satan and/or god to fool us then this discussion is meaningless.

However many creatures did NOT survive as the Earth's climate and geology changed. Plants had to adapt as well..some developed tougher leaves to withstand different conditions which meant that animals had to either adapt to eating tougher fibers or die..which some did. Some plants died out too.

All life evolves; adapting to an ever-changing world. Some simply cannot adapt fast enough or well enough to survive.

Edited by Ryu, 26 February 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#6    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

View Postali smack, on 26 February 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

I don't understand how people can believe in them existing. it's just not likely at all. the food they'd have to eat would be imense, how would they survive exinction, the atmosphere and climate is totally different. its just not possible. but people still inisist on seeing them.
why?

I think the basic idea is like this.  Alligators have remained since then relatively unchanged as a species, except for growing smaller.  Perhaps the sauropods went through a similar process.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#7    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,510 posts

• Just because it is in a book doesn't mean it is real or even remotely true.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

When there is a plethora of evidence supporting something then it is hardly a mere supposition or fable.
Life has a way of perpetuating even though it makes no sense to us.

There are underwater, volcanic vents spewing out scalding hot waters, much of which is acidic too yet there is a whole new biosphere surrounding these things. Life adapts...even if it is just a tiny amount, it is enough to ensure survival and allow a species to branch off and evolve into others variations....
Adapt or die. That is the one and only truth to life...equivalent exchange, if you will.

#8    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,140 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

I have dino`s living with me so ya they are real.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#9    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,594 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

I don't know about dinosaurs, but one of my friends is married to a dragon!

#10    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

why?
I know what you mean. Like for instance some saying Loch Ness monster is a plesiosaur. Apart from media and their desire for money, I think those who believe this don't have to many critical faculties, or any brains at all.

#11    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

why?

I honestly have a trouble believing dinosaurs ever existed! Some of those things were as big as a house. How could they move around to eat enough food? How could they breathe? What heart could keep that much blood flowing through those gigantic bodies? I don't even want to think about how they mated.

I saw a plasticized corpse of a giraffe at a Body Worlds exhibit here and the scale of the innards of even that relatively small creature was amazing. The diaphragm looked like a small trampoline.

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

So are the dinosaurs at the natural history museum all a farce? Are the fossils all a farce?

Dinosaurs were on this planet far longer than humans have been.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#13    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

View Postscowl, on 26 February 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

I honestly have a trouble believing dinosaurs ever existed! Some of those things were as big as a house. How could they move around to eat enough food? How could they breathe? What heart could keep that much blood flowing through those gigantic bodies? I don't even want to think about how they mated.

Hmm do you believe in whales then if you do how big is the heart of a blue whale.

#14    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

View Postscowl, on 26 February 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

I saw a plasticized corpse of a giraffe at a Body Worlds exhibit here and the scale of the innards of even that relatively small creature was amazing. The diaphragm looked like a small trampoline.

View PostCRIPTIC CHAMELEON, on 26 February 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

Hmm do you believe in whales then if you do how big is the heart of a blue whale.

The heart of a blue whale weighs about 1,300 lbs and the thoracic artery has an estimated diameter of 9 inches.  The largest accurately weighed blue whale was 177 metric tons.  The largest sauropod, Argentinosaurus, is estimated around 60-88 metric tons.  While being aquatic certainly helps the whale in supporting its mass, I doubt that it helps in pumping the blood throughout its body or respiration.

Given a majority of the dinosaurs were considerably smaller in weight, and recent studies suggest that weights have been over estimated, it would not be impossible for such a creature of half or even smaller in weight to have lived.

That being said, I think the OP was referring to surviving dinosaurs alive today, not in regards to them having lived in the past.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#15    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,064 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostRyu, on 26 February 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

Well..there is this inconvenient thing called "fossils" and then you have the whole 'carbon dating' and all that so the physical evidence speaks for itself.
And considering that most of the dinosaurs were lizards or partial lizards meant that they did not need to eat as often as mammals PLUS many were probably opportunistic feeders or carrion eaters.
Of course there are also the herbivores too.

The same questions can be asked of about any animal too..think of primates..most of them eat all day long yet there always seems to be enough for the trees and bushes to replenish. How about whales or elephants? They're huge, eat alot yet still exist.

Of course if you happen to be a Christian who believes the Earth is only 5000 years old and all the fossils are fakes planted by satan and/or god to fool us then this discussion is meaningless.

However many creatures did NOT survive as the Earth's climate and geology changed. Plants had to adapt as well..some developed tougher leaves to withstand different conditions which meant that animals had to either adapt to eating tougher fibers or die..which some did. Some plants died out too.

All life evolves; adapting to an ever-changing world. Some simply cannot adapt fast enough or well enough to survive.

Lizards don't need to a lot, because they're cold blooded.  They now think some of the dinos were blooded.  If they were they would need to like mammals.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users