Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Chelyabinsk meteor: Many Russians unconvinced

chelyabinsk meteor

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#46    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

I'm not gonna lie when i first saw the Video Footage of the Meteor coming in on Fox News i personal thought that it almost looked like a Missile from the smoke trail.

#47    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 2,019 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

View Postcsspwns, on 25 February 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

Some people just hate living in reality. *sighs*
"reality is what you can get away with" (Robert Anton Wilson)

#48    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,497 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 24 February 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

I have'nt seen many Russian posts coming out yet most of them are taught English in school, does this mean that they are censored from using P.C's to communicate outside Russia ?. if so they are not telling us that several beings parachuted from the "meteor" before it crashed as it was really an Alian Spaceship.
There's loads of viedos on YouTube. Not to mention an almost unlimited number of Beautiful Russian Women who Want to Meet You.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#49    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,497 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

View Poststevemagegod, on 25 February 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

I'm not gonna lie when i first saw the Video Footage of the Meteor coming in on Fox News i personal thought that it almost looked like a Missile from the smoke trail.
I really don't think that need be such an absurd and ridiculous thing for people to think, bearing in mind the number of countries there are that are, or claim to be, developing rockets & long range Missiles, and which don't necessarily always comply with the conventions for publicising launches. And not to mention that we have, several times, seen strange effects in the sky (those Spirals) that we're told were in fact Missiles.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#50    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,085 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

Well this spring when the ice melts they will dig it up and we will see what it is, but I am already persuaded it was exactly what the authorities are saying.

We have to expect that certain types of people will inevitably jump to conspiracy-oriented conclusions.  It always happens with any major event.

#51    Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

It was santa on the whiskey again.

#52    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,162 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 25 February 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

"reality is what you can get away with" (Robert Anton Wilson)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”
Philip K. Dick

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#53    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 2,019 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 25 February 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" (Adam Savage)

#54    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,162 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 25 February 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" (Adam Savage)
I don't really want to go down the road of swapping reality quotes as it would take this thread way off topic (although it would be fun, there are so many good ones to choose from). I do however think that the Philip K. Dick quote is appropriate here. It doesn't matter how many people do not believe that this is a meteor, the reality that it was will remain.

To use another quote:

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#55    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 2,019 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

i guess you are right - though one might argue that a vast majority of people agreed on the fact that it was a meteor impact and therefor this seems to be the most likely explanation. You and me, we both believe it was a meteor, i presume, but neither of us has proof it really WAS!

Oh, and no more quotes - promise! ;)

#56    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,162 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 25 February 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

i guess you are right - though one might argue that a vast majority of people agreed on the fact that it was a meteor impact and therefor this seems to be the most likely explanation.
True enough, but truth is not a democracy. Even if ALL Russians believed this to be an American weapon, it wouldn't make it so. For that matter if we all believe it to be a meteor, that doesn't make it so either.

Scientific truth is discovered not through what people believe but what the evidence suggests.

View PostJacques Terreur, on 25 February 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

You and me, we both believe it was a meteor, i presume, but neither of us has proof it really WAS!

Of course, I personally have no proof, I'm not in Russia for a start, but there is sufficient evidence to suggest, beyond all reasonable doubt, that this was a meteor. That is as close to proof as you will ever get in science.

Posted Image
Click on button

#57    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,085 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

As a general rule we are best off to take the opinions of the experts in a subject as most likely correct.  That's why I pay my doctor bill and do what he tells me to do.

#58    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,162 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 February 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

As a general rule we are best off to take the opinions of the experts in a subject as most likely correct.  That's why I pay my doctor bill and do what he tells me to do.
I tend to agree, not all opinions are equal, however it is also wise to remember that even experts are fallible and even experts disagree.

Posted Image
Click on button

#59    Dr.Cricket

Dr.Cricket

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Obama to Kerry: "Hey John, we need a place to test our new top secret weapon. We were thinking about the Nevada desert or maybe out over the Pacific Ocean. Somewhere where we can keep it secret."
Kerry to Obama: "Well, that sounds good, but I think a better place might be way over on the other side of the planet, say...over Russian air space. We're on good political relations with them now, so they won't mind."
Obama to Kerry: "Hey, great idea. And if anyone complains we can just claim it was a meteor."
(I'm sure that's how the conversation went. The conspiracy theorists are always right)

#60    andy hair candy

andy hair candy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

• slowly slipping away...

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Dr cricket... Nail on the head ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users