Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Supreme Court voids key part of Voting Rights

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,879 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:37 AM

WASHINGTON (AP) — A deeply divided Supreme Court on Tuesday halted enforcement of the federal government's most potent tool to stop voting discrimination over the past half century, saying it does not reflect racial progress.

In a 5-4 ruling, the court declared unconstitutional a provision of the landmark Voting Rights Act that determines which states and localities must get Washington's approval for proposed election changes.

link

This is important since it voids federals blocks on many States that passed voter ID and early voting laws that the government felt were discriminatory.

At least I'm pretty sure that's what it means.

edit:  Forgot to post the link.

Edited by Wickian, 26 June 2013 - 03:53 AM.

#2    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,009 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

Change government to democrat and you have it correct.  The democrats don't want voter ids because the majorty of illegal votes are cast for them.  Besides, the dead don't need to be represented or do they?

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,557 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

View Postdanielost, on 26 June 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

Change government to democrat and you have it correct.  The democrats don't want voter ids because the majorty of illegal votes are cast for them.  Besides, the dead don't need to be represented or do they?
Well if you want to suggest that the Democrats are the only ones who'll try and manipulate this law...
http://thinkprogress...er-senate-seat/

Suggests that both sides will use the laws to their own end, just like all other laws.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#4    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,009 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

Maybe you need to look up the word most.  I didn't say all.  But, most illegals vote democrat, they want no id laws.  Most of the military votes republican, they were sent the wrong ballets in afganistan.  The democrats also blocked giving troops an extra two days to vote in ohio.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#5    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

View Postdanielost, on 26 June 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

Maybe you need to look up the word most.  I didn't say all.  But, most illegals vote democrat, they want no id laws.  Most of the military votes republican, they were sent the wrong ballets in afganistan.  The democrats also blocked giving troops an extra two days to vote in ohio.
Illegal Aliens don't have the right to vote.  If the immigration bill gets passed and they become legal citizens then they will have the right to vote, but will no longer be Illegal Aliens.

#6    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,009 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:40 AM

View PostEnderOTD, on 26 June 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

Illegal Aliens don't have the right to vote.  If the immigration bill gets passed and they become legal citizens then they will have the right to vote, but will no longer be Illegal Aliens.

In. Ten years.

#7    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,557 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

View Postdanielost, on 26 June 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

I seem to recall Bsh-era Repulicans pulling similat stunts and people saying the soldiers vote Democrat on the ehole.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
Only I will remain.

#8    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 27 June 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

I seem to recall Bsh-era Repulicans pulling similat stunts and people saying the soldiers vote Democrat on the ehole.

I don´t know who pulls more stunts, but I find the argument that asking for a picture ID is somehow "discriminatory" and "suppresses votes" both stupid and insulting.
If casting a vote is supposed to be a serious thing, you should dam well ask for a picture ID to prove that you are a real, living person (and not a multiple one at that.)

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#9    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,360 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 27 June 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

I don´t know who pulls more stunts, but I find the argument that asking for a picture ID is somehow "discriminatory" and "suppresses votes" both stupid and insulting.
If casting a vote is supposed to be a serious thing, you should dam well ask for a picture ID to prove that you are a real, living person (and not a multiple one at that.)
Exactly. As an example of what is imo boundless hypocrisy, you have to show an ID to borrow a book from most (if not all?) libraries. Or at least show an ID to get the library card, I mean. You have to show an ID to buy booze if you're young. I remember one case where a WWII veteran was understandably upset because he had to show ID for the beer he was buying! He was probably in his 80's? But show ID to vote? No, we can't have that...   :(

Posted Image

#10    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,557 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 27 June 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

we can be asked for photo ID here in Oz when we vote. Mostly (as it's compulsory to vote here, if everyone was carded it's take two weeks to vote not one Saturday) the invigilators just ask for your name and address - if you know where you live and how to spell your name that's usually a sign that you are who you say you are.

Only I will remain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users