Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

In Flash of Fire, Florida Loses Old Friend

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    ohio state buckeyes

ohio state buckeyes

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:00 AM

www.nytimes.com said:

LONGWOOD, Fla. Back, way back, before King Tut was born and Alexander the Great roamed his empire, the Senator sprouted in a swamp here in central Florida, one of thousands of its kind.

So on Monday, when word got out that the huge, 3,500-year-old bald cypress had burned and collapsed, people from the area who thought that nothing not hurricanes, not loggers, not disease could fell the Senator, sank into disbelief.In a state known for its sprawl and its zeal for pouring concrete, the Senator stood as a testament to nature and ancient history.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:29 AM

Shame :(

#3    Acenaspheru

Acenaspheru

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

• Even the very old die young when they have truly learned to love.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:58 AM

i'll have to see if i can find my pictures of it when we went last year. it's right out my back door so i'm curious to see what's left...

http://www.roliana.com < my play time http://www.cosplay.com < my hobby http://www.deviantart.com < my think tank. roliana: Ciel Phantomhive Cosplay: Maya Rose and deviant art: The-last-fall

#4    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:27 AM

I bow my head in sorrow,Not something to be taken lightly.It will be missed. :cry:

#5    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,714 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:21 AM

Sad thing.  :cry:

#6    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:32 AM

That is really sad.

I hate to say this and it sounds kind of morbid, but I wonder if they are going to do anything with the tree? I would hate to see it rot. A person could make some incredible things out of 3500 year old wood, and it would have an amazing story behind it. I think it would be amazing to carve and create some amazing things for people to be able to remember the tree by...keepsake boxes, carved jewelry.

Maybe it is best to just leave it there...idk.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#7    Ravinar

Ravinar

Psychic Spy

• 1,102 posts
  • Location:some where between the majesty of creation and the void of oblivion

• A truly powerful being needs not destroy.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

such is life. they should chop it up into mulch and then plant a sapling of the same species in its place. its death shall feed new life.

Edited by Ravinar, 22 January 2012 - 12:11 PM.

the human race is at an end and and my soul grows weary. the one thing that could revive it is almost gone and is in no condition to heal me. yet i shall not despair for the light of hope shines even in the greatest darkness. i shall continue to hope.... hope for the days of green and ever lasting love of all things. for those whom think them selfs better shall realize they are not all that is. nor are they in any way better for all life is equal.

#8    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• 1,358 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

You'd wonder how many living beings and rare species living inside that "yggdrasil"

#9    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,945 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

This is sad, and I hope the cause is found to be natural, rather than arson.

"Investigators for the Division of Forestry are still trying to figure out how the tree burned down early Monday morning. Arson remains a possibility, although it had been initially discounted. Two other possible theories are being considered: the tree was struck by lightning long before Monday (maybe as long as two weeks) and slowly smoldered from the inside, or friction from the wind caused it to combust."
Anyone see any squibs? (Sorry, couldn't resist that one) :innocent:

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#10    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

Ouch.

#11    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• 1,466 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

If only trees could talk...

#12    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

View PostJ. K., on 23 January 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

If only trees could talk...
"Someone dial 911...is there a fire extinguisher around here?"

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,822 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

From what I read the tree was hollow and the fire went up the inside and was basically uncontrollable. There was not much left.

#14    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,039 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

What a shame  :(

Posted Image

#15    Aliens Exist

Aliens Exist

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• Everything we know, is wrong!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

The Aliens did it!