Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In Flash of Fire, Florida Loses Old Friend

ohio state buckeyes

LONGWOOD, Fla. — Back, way back, before King Tut was born and Alexander the Great roamed his empire, the Senator sprouted in a swamp here in central Florida, one of thousands of its kind.

So on Monday, when word got out that the huge, 3,500-year-old bald cypress had burned and collapsed, people from the area who thought that nothing — not hurricanes, not loggers, not disease — could fell the Senator, sank into disbelief.In a state known for its sprawl and its zeal for pouring concrete, the Senator stood as a testament to nature and ancient history.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fluffybunny

• Still Waters

• Junior Chubb

• Ravinar

Shame :(

i'll have to see if i can find my pictures of it when we went last year. it's right out my back door so i'm curious to see what's left...

That is really sad.

I hate to say this and it sounds kind of morbid, but I wonder if they are going to do anything with the tree? I would hate to see it rot. A person could make some incredible things out of 3500 year old wood, and it would have an amazing story behind it. I think it would be amazing to carve and create some amazing things for people to be able to remember the tree by...keepsake boxes, carved jewelry.

Maybe it is best to just leave it there...idk.

such is life. they should chop it up into mulch and then plant a sapling of the same species in its place. its death shall feed new life.

Edited by Ravinar

This is sad, and I hope the cause is found to be natural, rather than arson.

"Investigators for the Division of Forestry are still trying to figure out how the tree burned down early Monday morning. Arson remains a possibility, although it had been initially discounted. Two other possible theories are being considered: the tree was struck by lightning long before Monday (maybe as long as two weeks) and slowly smoldered from the inside, or friction from the wind caused it to combust."

Anyone see any squibs? (Sorry, couldn't resist that one) :innocent:

If only trees could talk...

"Someone dial 911...is there a fire extinguisher around here?"

From what I read the tree was hollow and the fire went up the inside and was basically uncontrollable. There was not much left.

What a shame :(

This is sad, and I hope the cause is found to be natural, rather than arson.

Anyone see any squibs? (Sorry, couldn't resist that one) :innocent:

It was clearly a controlled demolition......w00t.gif

It was clearly a controlled demolition......w00t.gif

I think I will wait for the 'Official Report' before I make up my mind...

Its a shame that the old tree is now gone, but if it burned due to natural causes such as a lightning strike then I guess there isn't really anything to get upset about. It's just mother nature doing it's thing. If the tree was destroyed due to something that humans had done, then I would be downright furious.

• 4 weeks later...

Ug idiot... that makes me sick... hope they lock her away for a long time. Human stupidity is why I prefer the company of animals most of the time.

I live in Florida and my bf and I went to see the Senator and Lady Liberty a few months ago. He was a sight to behold. Now all that's left is Lady Liberty. She's old too, but not as old or as large as the Senator was. Hope some drugged out %*&$# doesn't burn her down.