Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

"like" point ranking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#16    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,548 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

The Points ranking system some people are talking about is something I made up for the Show us your Ego Thread. http://www.unexplain...pic=240650&st=0

Personally I think the Like button is a great addition.. It's like the who want's to be a millionare "ask the audience" function.. You can skim though a post where someone has posed a tricky question and quickly see, from qty of likes, the most likely answer to the question..
Unfortunately, Ego doesn't see it that way.. Ego sometimes see's the accumulation of likes as a contest. Or as collecting UM brownie points :lol: ..

Sorry, but imo a "like" points ranking system would be a bad idea that would turn a lot of peoples posting's into an Ego Contest for likes and collecting Brownie Points.. Point in fact that I used the existence of this List to get peoples Ego's exposed.  

Posted Image

Edited by Professor T, 10 February 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#17    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,762 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

I will admit whenever I get a "like," I check it out to see what it was I said (goes to show) but I am not interested in comparing with other people.  The validity of some message has little if anything to do with how popular it is.

#18    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,225 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

POPULAR

View PostProfessor T, on 10 February 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

The Points ranking system some people are talking about is something I made up for the Show us your Ego Thread. http://www.unexplain...pic=240650&st=0

Personally I think the Like button is a great addition.. It's like the who want's to be a millionare "ask the audience" function.. You can skim though a post where someone has posed a tricky question and quickly see, from qty of likes, the most likely answer to the question..
Unfortunately, Ego doesn't see it that way.. Ego sometimes see's the accumulation of likes as a contest. Or as collecting UM brownie points :lol: ..

Sorry, but imo a "like" points ranking system would be a bad idea that would turn a lot of peoples posting's into an Ego Contest for likes and collecting Brownie Points.. Point in fact that I used the existence of this List to get peoples Ego's exposed.  

Posted Image
The problem with your table is that some of us have been posting for 5+ years previous to the Like system. So the higher percentages are strongly going to be tilted toward newer Membership. If someone has 10 posts and 10 likes, that is 100%. Yet says little of the poster, they may know what they are posting about or that they may just have a good sense of humor.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#19    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,264 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 10 February 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

The problem with your table is that some of us have been posting for 5+ years previous to the Like system. So the higher percentages are strongly going to be tilted toward newer Membership. If someone has 10 posts and 10 likes, that is 100%. Yet says little of the poster, they may know what they are posting about or that they may just have a good sense of humor.
Users are also more likely to get "likes" in popular threads and popular forums and those who might be considered good contributors to the less viewed forums will have lower scores even though they aren't actually any less worthy posters.

And a single good or funny post that a lot of people "like" can push his/her number of likes way up.

On web forums, after I've been there a while, I start to form my own opinions about the worthiness of other regular posters, I don't need to see a score attached to them to form a judgment.  At another forum I'm active on, the option is available to turn off reputation function, so I don't need to see all the bling attached to member's posts as a reminder of just how bleedin' awesome they are.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#20    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,548 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 10 February 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

:lol: , Yes, I know. The topic of the "Most liked" Members list has been debated to death in the Show Us your Ego Thread.
There's more reasons why it shouldn't exist than reasons for it to exist..

Right now, peoples intention behind their posts is to comment on somerthing they feel is Important, funny, or just something that needs to be expressed..

If the Most liked Points Ranking system like the one in the Ego thread came about, Many people's Intention behind their posts would change.. And the change would not be positive imo.. It would create a culture/atmosphere of completiton between members. It would remove some of the importance from posting, and replace that with an egotistic fish for likes..

Mind you, it would be a positive change in the Fun & Games threads.... But counter productive elsewhere..

#21    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostEldorado, on 09 February 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

I like the 'like' button cos it saves me typing a reply along the lines of 'I agree!' or 'lol'.

:)

As for your ranking idea... lol

(only joking)

I agree.

Edit - Damn, Schiziod beat me to it!

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 10 February 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#22    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:53 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

#23    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:30 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 10 February 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Posted Image

My Ego wanted to say this: I liked this post, because it has my name in it!  (jk!)

Seriously, I will say that I enjoy being able to click the like button after reading a well-written, possibly sane and witty post. I enjoy that I'm able to encourage people to continue their good efforts, yet at the same time I do realise that my 'like' can be used as a force for utter good or for utter demise. One thing is certain though, I get a lot more enjoyment out of 'liking' on this forum than I do on FB:/ There are so many times one can 'like' someone's post regarding their latest haircut, or nail polish or where they're eating.

:tu:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#24    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

The problem with the like button is that I hardly ever post any more. Or maybe that's a blessing?

#25    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

i only suggested this for a bit of fun, if highly voted its not as if id walk round with my title on a badge.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#26    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I think it's better to give than receive.
I only like posts with intelligence,humour and somebody agreeing with my viewpoint.
I'm also quite partial to liking posts where a poster has asked about somebody's well being and sympathised.
It's even better when the poster incorporates all this into one post and I'm certain there's a few masters at that.
There sure is a lot of thinking going on here and god knows how many hidden gems I've missed.
Tbh I sure do get a lot of likes when it comes to the occasional bit of humour I exhibit.
My most popular post was the one of Ty and Kayla where they managed to sleep on each other.
Tbh a forum is more about respect to each other than liking a particular post.
If you put a " dislike" function on this forum you'll be cruising for a bruising.
It will be even corrupt than the " reputation" system on my previous forum.
Where you get blinged up with stupid green blobs.
Spread the love indeed!

Edited by Medium Brown, 11 February 2013 - 12:59 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#27    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

misanthropic nihilist

• 26,164 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 11 February 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

It will be even corrupt than the " reputation" system on my previous forum.
Where you get blinged up with stupid green blobs.
Spread the love indeed!
that latter bit got me thinking :blush: ; I've been on other forums* that have had a similar system, but some of them have had a "DISLIKE" function as well, and to be fair that's rarely been abused, and it didn't say "xxxx disliked this post", it just subtracted one point from the total, so anyone would have to be very observant, and not a little obssessive, to keep track of everyone's total to know whether one point had been subtracted. That seems a reasonably fair way of having a Dislike function. Anyway, this also included the ability to post a short message along with your vote, to say why you liked it, or a supportive message or something like that. That could be a useful facility sometimes, since it might save on having to post a reply just to say "good point, bruv" or "lol".

* or fora

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#28    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

I like a post when I agree with it, when it makes me laugh, when the person makes a good point even if I don't agree with it, or if a point's been made that I wanted to make but no longer need to.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#29    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostAsadora, on 11 February 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

My Ego wanted to say this: I liked this post, because it has my name in it!  (jk!)

Seriously, I will say that I enjoy being able to click the like button after reading a well-written, possibly sane and witty post. I enjoy that I'm able to encourage people to continue their good efforts, yet at the same time I do realise that my 'like' can be used as a force for utter good or for utter demise. One thing is certain though, I get a lot more enjoyment out of 'liking' on this forum than I do on FB:/ There are so many times one can 'like' someone's post regarding their latest haircut, or nail polish or where they're eating.

:tu:

You found it, Professor T! Thank you! :)

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#30    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 11 February 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

that latter bit got me thinking :blush: ; I've been on other forums* that have had a similar system, but some of them have had a "DISLIKE" function as well, and to be fair that's rarely been abused, and it didn't say "xxxx disliked this post", it just subtracted one point from the total, so anyone would have to be very observant, and not a little obssessive, to keep track of everyone's total to know whether one point had been subtracted. That seems a reasonably fair way of having a Dislike function. Anyway, this also included the ability to post a short message along with your vote, to say why you liked it, or a supportive message or something like that. That could be a useful facility sometimes, since it might save on having to post a reply just to say "good point, bruv" or "lol".

* or fora
Imagine having a dislike and reputation option combined.
It will turn it into a level playing field especially if it's a hate forum.
Though the experience might make them wiser because they won't be continuously begging for reps.
I've seem threads based around reputation on my previous forum which turn respectable posters to crybabies.
Though through it all there was a lone crusader who decided it wasn't acceptable.
And yet this guys green blob situation got so bad it ended up  like climbing ivy.
He was top of the shop because he had a different agenda to the rest of us.
However if the guy was here he would be laying into everyone in the " fun and games" sub- forum.
Tbh any " reputation" comments I left behind would be more constructive like " c'est magnifique and super- duper".
I prefer this system because begging for people to like you is desperate and more obvious.
Btw the reputation table there was even worst than the one the prof is displaying.
They didn't do percentages which showed disparity between all the other posters.

Edited by Medium Brown, 11 February 2013 - 07:06 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users