Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Those Who Have Kids

MedicTJ

I was afraid of becoming a grandparent. I thought the term itself would officially enter me into the "you're old" category. And when my wife of 20 years and I found out last year that our oldest daughter was pregnant....I was an idiot for being selfish and buying into that philosophy.

Only 6 days after my grandson's birth....the first time I held him....he smiled. I know a lot of people won't believe me when I say this....but I knew his soul. And it was like he knew mine too. It was like he was saying, "Dude...you're here too? This is gonna be awesome!"

He celebrates his first birthday next month, and over this stretch...whenever he's seen "grandpa", he has smiled from ear to ear.

I can't express to anyone else what that does to your spirit unless you've experienced it for yourself.

I know one thing. I don't care about being called "gramps" anymore.

• Like 9

Only 6 days after my grandson's birth....the first time I held him....he smiled. I know a lot of people won't believe me when I say this....but I knew his soul. And it was like he knew mine too. It was like he was saying, "Dude...you're here too? This is gonna be awesome!"

Your little grandson is lucky to have a grandpa like you. Congrats on his first birthday!

Hi MedicTJ,

Congrats and hope the lil fella has an epic first... I know with a G-dad (youngy the old Gramps up HAHA) like yourself he will do..

Kind Regards,

Me :)

Thank you! But I think I'm the lucky one to have him in my life, and a daughter and son-in-law who are just great parents.

• Like 3

+1

Hi MedicTJ,

Congrats and hope the lil fella has an epic first... I know with a G-dad (youngy the old Gramps up HAHA) like yourself he will do..

Kind Regards,

Me :)

G-dad! I like it! (as my daughter is standing over my shoulder and reading that she says...."Dad....you're NOT calling yourself G-dad...at least not in front of my friends."

Gotta love that!

• Like 1

Great post!!! Brought tears to my eyes. :tsu:

We have one grandson but we never get to see him. We have a hole in our hearts I can't even describe.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Great post!!! Brought tears to my eyes. :tsu:

We have one grandson but we never get to see him. We have a hole in our hearts I can't even describe.

QC, I don't know the particulars on your situation and why you can't see him but it can't be good. I hope and pray that whatever barriers are keeping you from seeing him are removed and removed soon.

• Like 1

Our 2nd oldest (we have 3...the last one a Sophomore in high school) said, "Dad...you're not gramps. You're G-Dad Money"

I'm no hip hop or rap fan....but that cracked me up!

Edited by MedicTJ

I can fully understand that. On one hand, I love kids, on the other hand I dread the day when I become an official granddad.

Well, when it happens, I will jump in head first and concentrate on the bright side.

Edited by Zaphod222

As a Grandfather, I'd also like to point out another advantage of grandchildren - Although an undoubted joy most of the time, they can be returned to their parents once they've outstayed their welcome!

s4273.gif

• Like 1

I understand the feeling. :) My first grandson is going to be 1 year old on 2/5. I wasn't sure I was ready to be grandma but it's the greatest thing ever.

We watch him on the weekends and we look forward to it. There aren't words for how much we love and enjoy him. He's simply amazing. He was a surprise (long wild story) and from the second we saw him we can't get enough of him.

Two weeks ago we had our second grandson born and we can't wait to spoil him as well.

Nibs

post-48027-0-38295800-1359647063_thumb.j

• Like 2

Handsome lad. Great taste in football teams too!

• Like 1

Well ain't that wild! My son-in-law is a HUGE Colts fan, and his name choice for our grandson is the one that won.

Our grandson's name is Peyton......who now plays for the Broncos!

I understand the feeling. :) My first grandson is going to be 1 year old on 2/5. I wasn't sure I was ready to be grandma but it's the greatest thing ever.

We watch him on the weekends and we look forward to it. There aren't words for how much we love and enjoy him. He's simply amazing. He was a surprise (long wild story) and from the second we saw him we can't get enough of him.

Two weeks ago we had our second grandson born and we can't wait to spoil him as well.

Nibs

Congrats on your new gandson,.and the picture you posted is just lovely...Cute child

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I was afraid of becoming a grandparent. I thought the term itself would officially enter me into the "you're old" category. And when my wife of 20 years and I found out last year that our oldest daughter was pregnant....I was an idiot for being selfish and buying into that philosophy.

He celebrates his first birthday next month, and over this stretch...whenever he's seen "grandpa", he has smiled from ear to ear.

I can't express to anyone else what that does to your spirit unless you've experienced it for yourself.

I know one thing. I don't care about being called "gramps" anymore.

Congrats to you for becoming a grandpa... When my dad first became one many years ago ( my brothers child ) he dreaded it, but when it happened, he loved it.. He said it was like getting a second chance...

I tend to wonder if I will ever have grandkids? I hope one day I will...If my daughter takes after me, and waits longer to have kids, I might have one foot in the grave before I am a grandma.. sigh !! lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I might have one foot in the grave before I am a grandma.. sigh !! lol

From experience I can assure you that you'll feel like you've got one interred foot after you've become a grandparent!

s7606.gif

• Like 1

Hey, a lot of you guys are older (30+) and it's interesting as heck to hear this from your point of view. I'm a bit younger, and I don't have kids, yes I do want one or two in the future. They're hard work, aren't they? But they change everything and they're worth it. I've adored the anklebiters for as long as I can remember, and when being a parent myself seems pretty far off, being a grandparent is almost unfathomable. But really it's amazing, like I remember my mum's mum from when she was around, and my mum's dad. It seemed like no matter what they've always loved me and been proud of me. My grandparents were great, and I just think if I can be half of what they were for me, as a grandparent I'd do alright.

• Like 2

I was a young mom & my kids are getting older & I think about that whole grandparent thing & it scares me. I never wanted to be a grandma but reading your post makes it sound like such a beautiful experience. I've never heard it put in such a way that really touched my heart and in such a positive perspective. You are both lucky to have each other.

Edited by Goddess_Lilith
  • Like 1

Lol, I'll be turning 20 in March. I'm no where even close to marriage much less kids. Not that I don't certainly want that in the future some time. I'm just more focused right now on finding that perfect someone and falling in love... Kids: I'll cross that diaper covered bridge when I get there... :wacko: