Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

declawing cats

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,008 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Simple, don't have your cats declawed. To declaw a cat, they have to cut off the first nucle of their digits. It is painful long after the procedure, that is if it does stop hurting. /

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#2    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,057 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

I think it would feel the same as surgically removing one's fingernails. Not a good idea.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,552 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 11 June 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

I think it would feel the same as surgically removing one's fingernails. Not a good idea.
Fingernails? Try the first third of your finger.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#4    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,679 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:24 AM

My last kitty I had, before the one I have now, was declawed on the front feet and whoever did it was sloppy. There was a scar on the first few toes and he often would sit and shake one of his paws like it was irritating him.

De-clawing, in my view, is simply a terrible mutilation and should NEVER be done unless it is absolutely the absolute last resort.
People need to be aware of just what de-clawing really is, just because it is a "common" practice doesn't mean it is right.

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,735 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

I won't do it, my cat is my friend, furniture is not.  I have old furniture I don't worry about it.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#6    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:07 AM

I don't respect people who do it . They go on about their furniture being ruined .
Well then don't get a cat !

I've adopted two cats over the years,both who were front declawed . They both died young .
I know of another I nursed for a friend. Cancer.A huge tumor behind one ear .
Her fur started to fall of ,and you could see her toes. There were these tiny blob like growths all around where her claws had been .
I think declawing causes cancer ,and no one sees it under their fur .

Miss me?

#7    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:47 AM

And besides the given health risks it creates, if your cat is out roaming the neighborhood and gets into trouble, it's first and most reliable sense of defense is gone.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

Cats need their claws to survive.  I don't like them killing birds and such so I keep mine indoors (the house is several stories high so they have lots of places to climb and be up high looking down on the world -- that is when a cat is happiest).

It is easy to avoid clawed furniture.  Just give them alternatives.

#9    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

To be honest I've never heard of anyone getting their cat de-clawed. I've only heard of it on TV. Just get a bloody scratching post, lazy people these days want a pet but don't want the hassles that come with them.

"I want a dog but don't want to pick up its crap. I know,  I'll strap a plastic bag to its backside"

"I want a dog that barks when strangers walk up the driveway but not to bark when my friends walk up"

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:01 AM

A couple dogs on the ground floor who make a racket when strangers come to the door is a wonderful thing to have, and well worth the time and effort teaching them.  One thing I don't appreciate is dogs who bark at every other dog wandering the neighborhood.  Getting them over that, though, is not hard, and takes only an hour or so.

#11    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

View PostDKO, on 12 June 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

To be honest I've never heard of anyone getting their cat de-clawed. I've only heard of it on TV. Just get a bloody scratching post, lazy people these days want a pet but don't want the hassles that come with them.

"I want a dog but don't want to pick up its crap. I know,  I'll strap a plastic bag to its backside"

"I want a dog that barks when strangers walk up the driveway but not to bark when my friends walk up"

Ask me how many times I've seen cats,with claws removed on all four paws ,ALL FOUR ,end up in a shelter.
Who declaws the back feet two,when only the front are in any way a danger to furniture ? Someone who changes their mind about responsibility ,the way the rest  of us change our underwear. PEOPLE SUCK !!!

Miss me?

#12    RavenEyes19

RavenEyes19

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Declawing is barbaric and should be banned in the U.S. I know several cat owners who've had their cats declawed. Perhaps they're ignorant about how inhumane and painful it is Idk. Most vets only seem interested in making money so they don't inform pet owners on the possible consequences of this procedure. My parents had two of my childhood cats declawed and they didn't know any better. I've owned 7 cats all together and those two were the only ones that decided to stop using the litterboxes, urinated everywhere and ruined the carpet. I've read that declawed cats are more likely to develop behavioral problems and will mark their territory with their urine since they can't do it with their claws. Both also became overweight (they were inactive and weren't interested in playing much) had health problems and died fairly young.
I rescued another declawed cat a couple of months ago. I found her huddled on my porch in freezing weather. She wouldn't have lasted much longer if I didn't take her in. She couldn't defend herself against other animals or feral cats, climb or hunt. She was starving to death. I looked for her owners and reported her missing at the local shelter. No one claimed her or put up any lost ads for her. She's probably the sweetest cat I've ever owned. I wonder if someone just tossed her out in the cold. People truly suck.

Edited by RavenEyes19, 12 June 2013 - 07:42 AM.

#13    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,960 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Declawing is a bone between my sister and I. She declaws- "I give them a nice life, so they can deal with not being able to claw things", I do not declaw "Dude, would you want your fingertips chopped off?". Every time she visits she always has to make a comment or few about my cats having claws.

#14    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,134 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

The only thing I ever worry about my big fatass black cat 'Binx' ruining with his claws is if I forget and leave a roll of paper towels within his reach.

Binx is an indoor cat but likes to have an 'outdoor adventure' once in a while so he needs his claws anyway.

Edited by BiffSplitkins, 12 June 2013 - 03:50 PM.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#15    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,008 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:12 AM

View PostRyu, on 12 June 2013 - 12:24 AM, said:

My last kitty I had, before the one I have now, was declawed on the front feet and whoever did it was sloppy. There was a scar on the first few toes and he often would sit and shake one of his paws like it was irritating him.

De-clawing, in my view, is simply a terrible mutilation and should NEVER be done unless it is absolutely the absolute last resort.
People need to be aware of just what de-clawing really is, just because it is a "common" practice doesn't mean it is right.

They have plastic caps you can put on their claws.  So there is no last resort.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users