Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New photo of Face on Mars proves Red Planet's

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 35,862 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

It was the startling photograph that spawned a thousand conspiracy theories.

A photograph taken by the American Viking 1 Orbiter in July 1976 appeared to show a hill in the shape of a human face on the dusty surface of Mars.

But a new photograph released today, which was taken with Nasa’s high-definition HiRISE camera, finally shows the Face on Mars for what it really is: just a large, rocky hill in the middle of the Martian desert.

This is the closest ever image of the famous outcrop which should, once and for all, scotch the conspiracy theorists who believe that the 'face' is conclusive evidence of intelligent life on Mars.

Within days of its discovery in 1976, space enthusiasts were speculating that the structure was man-made and had been built by Martians in the distant past.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

I'm glad NASA took care of that myth, although I'm sure there will be consipracy theories that live on.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) – Astrophysicist

#3    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,231 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

oh, don't puncture our illusions. Anyway, what about the pyramids, eh? What about the pyramids?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#4    Lcvec

Lcvec

civilized caveman

• 4,551 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

It's hard to understand why anyone would build a "face" on a planet anyway...thanks for posting still waters, now hopefully some of the conspiracy theorists will give up.

#5    Dancingtiger

Dancingtiger

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

Attached File  mars smileface-47.jpg   238.14K   75 downloads

I think the most fun I have had in months on the internet was playing with the Mars GPS map. I did not even remember to check for that face until much later. I did not really even bother much even looking. I was to into the planet itself. There is a massive gouge like something ripped into it. I did find a few happy faces inside craters. One I even did a print screen on* above pic, If you go check out the map try the shaded relief, it makes all sorts of things look like they are there, but as soon as you change the view, what you saw is gone. :D

http://jmars.mars.asu.edu/maps/

Jealous of those who will go to Mars :D

#6    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 9,534 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

You can see the Mars vegetables clearly in these new shots.

Edited by Sweetpumper, 30 July 2010 - 05:06 PM.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#7    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,231 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 30 July 2010 - 05:06 PM, said:

You can see the Mars vegetables clearly in these new shots.
Ah, I miss him.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#8    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,143 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

View Post747400, on 30 July 2010 - 05:35 PM, said:

Ah, I miss him.
Yea! Me too We Will just have to Find the Underground City`s on Mars someday When We get to
actally Go there ! "Klatu Brando Nickto" :rolleyes:

Attached Files

This is a Work in Progress!

#9    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 10,266 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:40 PM

Ah, I miss him.

Yeah...

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#10    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 3,752 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

View PostLcvec, on 30 July 2010 - 03:22 PM, said:

It's hard to understand why anyone would build a "face" on a planet anyway...thanks for posting still waters, now hopefully some of the conspiracy theorists will give up.
Sadly, not those with PS CS3 and other "enhancement" weaponry :unsure:

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown)

#11    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 3,752 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

Ah, I miss him.
Who don't...  B)

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown)

#12    xris

xris

Conspiracy Theorist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

Im afraid you guys are too cynical and comical to keep any true believers here for long. You never encourage them , I might try on occassions to play both sides but I see your reactions. You act like circling vultures ready to plunge on your prey. You need to feed it appears.

#13    SAmbag

SAmbag

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

I think I distinctly remember Tim Robbins and Don Cheadle proving that the limestone-esque face is just covered with a thick layer of dirt

#14    the_UNKNOWN_DEAD

the_UNKNOWN_DEAD

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:54 PM

View Postxris, on 30 July 2010 - 08:19 PM, said:

Im afraid you guys are too cynical and comical to keep any true believers here for long. You never encourage them , I might try on occassions to play both sides but I see your reactions. You act like circling vultures ready to plunge on your prey. You need to feed it appears.

Richard Hoagland has made a career and a lot of money on seeing a "face" where there is only a "pile of rocks" on Mars. Damn straight that those who base their thinking on rationality are going to attack junk like this.

...and you just gotta love the first comment on the linked page. Paraphrasing..."How do we know that this is real evidence"?

Some are incapable of learning.

Edited by the_UNKNOWN_DEAD, 30 July 2010 - 08:58 PM.

#15    the_UNKNOWN_DEAD

the_UNKNOWN_DEAD

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

deleted double post

Edited by the_UNKNOWN_DEAD, 30 July 2010 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users