Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can you live without Texting?

Ashotep

Our passion for texting and our other computer gadgets have left little time for families to spend time together.

Texting can be a tool by which families can stay in contact with each other... and it CAN be a positive thing. But in actuallity... i suppose there are downsides and upsides to every side of this issue. Personally texting allows me to stay in contact with those closest to me...to reach them with a "thinking of you message" or a "how was your day message" when otherwise you wouldn't be able to reach them. Who doesn't like to get a surprise positive text message when you least expect it. It seems that people want to group something as being all good.. or all bad.. when in most cases it is all in how it is being used... so maybe the question should be... what do you use texting for and how does it effect your life and family?

Texting can be a tool by which families can stay in contact with each other... and it CAN be a positive thing. But in actuallity... i suppose there are downsides and upsides to every side of this issue. Personally texting allows me to stay in contact with those closest to me...to reach them with a "thinking of you message" or a "how was your day message" when otherwise you wouldn't be able to reach them. Who doesn't like to get a surprise positive text message when you least expect it. It seems that people want to group something as being all good.. or all bad.. when in most cases it is all in how it is being used... so maybe the question should be... what do you use texting for and how does it effect your life and family?

I don't look at it as a negative thing........I just personally have no need for it......or smart phones for that matter.....

Usually it's nothing that couldn't be answered later and it isn't as interesting to everyone else in the room when they tell you about it.

Actually that's the whole point. If it's not pressing then you just text someone, for example, 'do you need me to be there at 4:00 or 4:15 tomorrow?' Do they need to be interupted that second so that you can find that out? No of course not. This is what many people my age and older don't get about why in some circumstances a text is more respectful of the recipients time than a call.

Actually that's the whole point. If it's not pressing then you just text someone, for example, 'do you need me to be there at 4:00 or 4:15 tomorrow?' Do they need to be interupted that second so that you can find that out? No of course not. This is what many people my age and older don't get about why in some circumstances a text is more respectful of the recipients time than a call.

One person that I'm talking about is terrible though. She has a daughter in her forties and a granddaughter who is eighteen. When a group of us are together she will text her daughter something funny that was just said or happened and send a picture. They do the same with her and she will show us all the pictures and tell everyone in the room about what they are doing and what a good time they are having. I mean I'm glad they are all so close, but it gets on my nerves. I mean can't they talk about it tomorrow, when she doesn't have company she invited to her house? Or when they have been invited to visit someone else's?

• Like 1

Just a quick reply, I try not to text if I can avoid it. I do text, rarely, but I could sure live without it.

I'm not sure I could live without video games though... :D just kidding, I could, I could

Edited by Gummug

I could live without texting I mean because there was a time before I had a cell phone, I dont like to be on the phone really either. I dont even have a facebook or myspace account I hate those types of things.

I could live without texting in fact it sort of annoys me how much people are obsessed with their phones. As a cashier it extremely annoys me when dealing with a customer who ignores me just to text someone, I want to throw their change in their face like you can be in and out of the store in less than 5 minutes and text all you goddamn want but you have to stand there at my till and waste my time? Some people...

I own a mobile phone only for an alarm clock, got given to me by my nan who brought it out of her charity shop.. saad but I have no use for texting you can phone or text me I've got about 5 quid credit for bad emergancy's. I still use the phonebox to ring work if im sick or to get hold of someone But ive saved my self thousands not buying a phone every year. My brother is a phone nut I hate it i find when he's texting it's rude whilst in someone else's company. But othier then that I obliviously use social website's to meet friend's I think if this said how long could you last without the internet I woulden't last that long.

I havn't texted in over a year (with the help that my mobile has been disconnected) and it hasn't majorly inconvenienced me and better I'm still ALIVE!

Since my phone was recently reduced to a chipboard and keyboard sticky taped to it. I have experienced what it is like to go out with no phone. It really highlights the importance of the thing, I mainly use instant messaging services as opposed to texting but I will categorise both in the same category.

I had to substitute with my itouch in order to use wifi to comminicate with others via IM. In order to use my blackberry I need to link it up to my computer, take screenshots of the "screen" to see what I'm doing an access it remotely through a program. I also had my bus timetables and such on the phone too, as well as using it as a light when things got dark.

Without a phone and no texting or IM is certainly a different life. It's almost as if I feel disconnected other than what is explained as disconnected from life with them. It really cuts a hole in the social aspect as I communicate with all my friends via my phone. It is certainly livable like this I guess but in my situation not a benefit to go without.

• Like 1

I don't text. If that makes me weird, so be it.

• Like 2

To me it's an addiction. If college students go nuts for 24 hours without it then

it's comparable to a smoker without his/her cigarette.

post-103357-0-04939500-1349497391_thumb.

• Like 3

I know people that as soon as they are on break they are on the phone, texting, calling someone that they just saw. When its time to go home they will either be texting or calling someone before they even get their car started. A lot of them are calling the same person. I would run out of things to talk about.

• Like 1

I know people that as soon as they are on break they are on the phone, texting, calling someone that they just saw. When its time to go home they will either be texting or calling someone before they even get their car started. A lot of them are calling the same person. I would run out of things to talk about.

One of my pet peeves is when I go out with a friend or relative to a restaurant to eat out and

make good conversation and they get on there cellphone talking and texting. I find that rude.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't text routinely. I think I have texted about twenty times in my life.

braodband and phone packages are pretty cheap in the USA. I don't do sell phones much (misspell intentional). Only when I travel and the battary is always out of it until I want to use it.

Edited by regeneratia

I never understood why people want to chatter at each other so much. If I want to socialize, I'll attend or throw a social event. If I need to tell someone something, I"ll call them from home when I have time. I'd hate people thinking they had access to me 24/7.

"If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, their brains start working.” -- Douglas Adams .... except now it's thumbs instead of lips apparently.

I don't own a cell phone and have never sent a text.

I don't know how to compose or send a text message. It's a miracle that I can read them.

I'm a Luddite.

I could live without texting, but why would one want to? We are living in a new age of near total connection. Communication with nearly anyone is possible now within seconds. This is the future. It's glorious and wonderful! Ideas, emotions, worries, cares, information, video, sound... all of it can be communicated instantly and almost anywhere. That's a pretty amazing thing.