Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Evolution's weirdest designs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Roj47

Roj47

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

• If I believed the world was going to end in the next 10 years..... I would sell up and travel to see as much of it as I could.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

Nature has experimented/ made mistakes/ evolved many weird creatures. I attach one below (not the one I was looking for, but very similar).

A dinosaur with feathers that could not fly. Were the feathers for show? attraction? early evolution for flight? other?

I am just kind of interested in the strange creatures that evolved, but became extinct due to not being able to compete, so argueably were nature's experiments.

What is your favourite?

Species:
Caudipteryx zoui
"caw-DIP-ter-ix ZJO-eye"
Birdlike dinosaur with feathers covering whole body
Long, striped tail plume
The feathers on Caudipteryx are very similar to those of modern birds. The feathers have a central hollow shaft with numerous thin filaments (called barbs) extending outward, creating the recognizable shape of a feather. Yet even though Caudipteryx had feathers like modern birds, it did not fly because its arms were too short. Modern feathers evolved long before the ability to fly.

http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/dinosaurs/...ers&a=caudi

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,537 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

A dinosaur with feathers that could not fly. Were the feathers for show? attraction? early evolution for flight? other?

Could have been any number of reasons. Maybe they played a role in thermoregulation--feathers do have insulating properties.

#3    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:06 PM

There are many reasons dinosaurs had feathers...Caudipteryx was a 'missing link', if you will. The feathers could have been just because it was the evolutionary gap between dinosaurs and avians. Also, feathers (especially down) are used for insulation...especially down. This theory has lost some credibility although with the new ideas that dinosaurs are warm-blooded. Another idea is that the feathers were used for mating. Ther probably were brightly colored to attract mates, and served the same function as ornamental horns, crests, plates, and other things used for display.

My favorite feathered dinosaur is Bambiraptor.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#4    KayEl

KayEl

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:41 PM

Well, birds are warm blooded as well and they have plenty of feathers, and many of them do use them as insulation.

#5    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:47 PM

hm, well, look at chickens. They have feathers yet can't fly, same with the Dodo. I'ma agree with frogfish in that they were for insulation and/or mating rituals. Or maybe to warn off preditors by puffing out the feathers that were brightly coloured, it would be quite the shock if you had never seen anything of the sort.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#6    War-Junkie

War-Junkie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 02:33 AM

speaking about animals with wings that cant fly i always wanted to know what the penguin evolved from. it has some form of wings or arm things and it cant fly but no feathers

#7    Sharm

Sharm

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 02:51 AM

Feathers make them look bigger. Good to scare predators

#8    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

hm, well, look at chickens. They have feathers yet can't fly, same with the Dodo. I'ma agree with frogfish in that they were for insulation and/or mating rituals. Or maybe to warn off preditors by puffing out the feathers that were brightly coloured, it would be quite the shock if you had never seen anything of the sort.

But chickens evolved from birds which could fly.

#9    ReviewDude

ReviewDude

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

• I'd rather be unknown in a group I respect; than a legend in a group I despise.

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

But chickens evolved from birds which could fly.

No, chickens came from EGGS, God, I thought everyone knew that! Or was it the other way around...  tongue.gif

Back in business!

People who are cool because they call me nice things:

capoeiranger | Sympa Sheri | Arbiter22

#10    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:29 PM

No, chickens came from EGGS, God, I thought everyone knew that! Or was it the other way around...  tongue.gif

laugh.gif

speaking about animals with wings that cant fly i always wanted to know what the penguin evolved from. it has some form of wings or arm things and it cant fly but no feathers

Penguin wings help them to propel themselves through the waters at a good speed. They do have feathers, but they're really oil-ley to avoid water being trapped within the feathers (they'd die from the extreme cold of the sea and the temperatures on the land.) They also form a tight circle thats always moving, as to keep each other warm and from freezing.

There's probably loads I've missed out  hmm.gif

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#11    ReviewDude

ReviewDude

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

• I'd rather be unknown in a group I respect; than a legend in a group I despise.

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:34 PM

Penguin wings help them to propel themselves through the waters at a good speed. They do have feathers, but they're really oil-ley to avoid water being trapped within the feathers (they'd die from the extreme cold of the sea and the temperatures on the land.) They also form a tight circle thats always moving, as to keep each other warm and from freezing.

There's probably loads I've missed out  hmm.gif

That's true. Wings aren't only necessary for flying wink2.gif

Thing is, you have to wonder why birds like ostriches (have such hard names to spell) have wings, because they don't need to swim, protect against cold or fly...

Back in business!

#12    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

That's true. Wings aren't only necessary for flying wink2.gif

Thing is, you have to wonder why birds like ostriches (have such hard names to spell) have wings, because they don't need to swim, protect against cold or fly...

They help warn off preditors, think of it this way. Imagine an ostriche without wings running after you - not really all that scary. Now think of an ostriche with wings outstretched running towards you - a hella lot more scarier.
They're just for intimidation would be my guess.

Posted Image

#13    ReviewDude

ReviewDude

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:07 PM

They help warn off preditors, think of it this way. Imagine an ostriche without wings running after you - not really all that scary. Now think of an ostriche with wings outstretched running towards you - a hella lot more scarier.
They're just for intimidation would be my guess.

Apologies, but I have trouble imagining any ostrich running towards me - wingless or otherwise  dontgetit.gif

Back in business!

#14    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:34 PM

Apologies, but I have trouble imagining any ostrich running towards me - wingless or otherwise  dontgetit.gif

oops, I think I was thinking of Emu's. but anyway, replace ostriche with Emu.

Posted Image

#15    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:22 PM

The wings of an ostrich are also evolutionary remnants.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users