Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are you never more than 6ft away from a rat?

rat rodent

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,337 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

It's a saying that seems almost deliberately contrived to get a reaction, but isn't exactly clear where the adage comes from.

It may derive from the former Ministry of Agriculture, suggests rodent expert Prof Rob Smith from the University of Huddersfield. They circulated many public health announcements to promote hygiene in homes.

It is also associated with another commonly quoted statistic, that the population of rats outnumbers the population of humans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-20716625

Posted Image

#2    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

I'm always close to my rats.

#3    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

"Are you never more than 6ft away from a rat?"

I live next to one, and he has learned to walk on two legs.

#4    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Well, since all my uncles have practiced in law, during family reunions, it's true.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#5    Codeblind

Codeblind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Everytime I go to a cash machine I'm no more than a foot away from a huge amount of cash.....sadly its not mine

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

#6    evil_kenshin

evil_kenshin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

I own pet rats so guess this would be true...

#7    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

There has been rats scurrying around the block of flats that I live in in Bolton.

Fortunately I've only had a few field mice in my flat - there is a large field just in front of the block - and, even more fortunately, my cat usually captures and kills them.  My next door neighbour, however, has seen gigantic rats scurrying about in his flat.  He once woke up after falling asleep on the settee and saw a rat run behind the armchair.  His and Malcolm, who used to live in the flat upstairs, ended up moving all the furniture in his living room to look for it put it had gone.  He once came back home from holiday and, when entering his kitchen, he saw a rat on his kitchen sideboard.  Even more scarily he once woke up in bed one morning and saw a rat on his bedside cabinet, just feeta way from him.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 26 December 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#8    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

I also have pet rats so, very true for me :)
Brilliant animals, rats are.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#9    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,558 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

lol - well there are a lot of rats, i was more than 6ft from one today ;)

#10    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

Actually ,you are never more than six feet from a spider ,no matter where you live .
I'm not even sure if beaches or freezing places,are exempt .

Miss me?

#11    daavin

daavin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 121 posts

• nothing witty, nothing profound... just me.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

I live in Alberta Canada, we are rat free here and the province spends millions yearly keeping it that way. Now I have alway heard it being spiders as well, creeps me out.

I spy with my little eye something that starts with come here and ends with OUCH
                                                   Black Adder

#12    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

View Postdaavin, on 27 December 2012 - 05:20 AM, said:

I live in Alberta Canada, we are rat free here and the province spends millions yearly keeping it that way. Now I have alway heard it being spiders as well, creeps me out.

Agreed!!  They are so alien looking like this lovely cane spider we have in HawaiiAttached File  DSC_0358.jpeg   53.67K   2 downloads
They get pretty big but are generally harmless.  

Regardless, I'd rather have a rat near me any day.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#13    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,849 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Rats are a major problem here on the farm. We have to employ the services of Ol' Maurice and his son every month or so. They bring their Jack Russel terriers down and lively fun is had in and out of the barns and stables for a couple of hours!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#14    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

View Postealdwita, on 27 December 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

Rats are a major problem here on the farm. We have to employ the services of Ol' Maurice and his son every month or so. They bring their Jack Russel terriers down and lively fun is had in and out of the barns and stables for a couple of hours!

Wild rats are quite annoying and so difficult to get rid of but someone once told me that you have to mark your territory so, maybe if you urinated in the areas where they lived they will get the hint... I certainly wouldn't want to live where someone peed.  lol

I know for sure that rat urine will keep mice away since they are mortal enamies in the wild.

#15    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,360 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 27 December 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

Actually ,you are never more than six feet from a spider ,no matter where you live .
I'm not even sure if beaches or freezing places,are exempt .
That's what I had heard too, that you are never more than six feet from a spider...*shudders*
Reminds me of what someone had posted in a different forum...a picture of a house on fire and underneath the caption "well I accidentally caught the house on fire, but I think I got the spider..."

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users