Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Psychic Sued for Police Hoax About Massacre

Render

The owners of a Texas ranch raided by police in 2011 based on false information from a psychic are now suing, along with police and several news organizations.

The case began June 6, when a psychic using the name 'Angel' called police and described a horrific scene of mass murder: dozens of dismembered bodies near a ranch house about an hour outside of Houston, Texas. There were rotting limbs, headless corpses and, chillingly, children in a mass grave.

Deputies from the Liberty County Sheriff's office went to investigate but didn't see anything amiss. After a second call the following day, dozens of officials from the Texas Department of Public Safety, the FBI and the Texas Rangers were on the scene—not to mention cadaver dogs, news helicopters and gawkers.

It all turned out to be a false alarm. There were no dead bodies; the psychic was wrong (or lying).

http://www.livescience.com/25291-psychic-sued-for-police-hoax-about-massacre.html

Not a psychic, just another run of the mill attention seeking Psycho.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

Not a psycho, just another run of the mill attention seeking Psycho.

All those crime seeking Psychics fall under the attention seeking Psycho category

All those crime seeking Psychics fall under the attention seeking Psycho category

lol, I'm just glad you knew what I meant - what an inconvenient typo that was.

I admit, if I was "gifted" I would be pretty prudent about how I put the information out to law enforcement or anybody. Also, I doubt the authentic ones consider it a gift at all tbh.

Edited by libstaK

Sometimes the cops are the ones that call in the psychic. The nyc police dept use a couple they trust ,with good results.

I would say any call claiming dead bodies and blood,warrant a look see .

If its unfounded ,so what ,they are doing their job . The law suit against the cops will go nowhere is my guess.

I think a quiet look see with a dog would be warranted but I think they over did it. How did it press get involved? I think the people have a case. If I was sitting on the jury up hold the suit. I agree that kind of thing should be checked out, but they way it is was done was improper.

libstaK you are right, most days it is not a gift and we constantly exhaust ourselves assisting others to find what they are looking for. Most feel beholden to help, otherwise the "gift" was for naught. For those who don't believe, that's fine. You are, after all, entitled to your opinion; even if you are wrong :)

• Like 1

Has the crime rate in Texas dropped dramatically? The Sheriff's dept and the FBI seem to have a lot of time on their hands. Why else would they launch a full scale investigation on the word of a "psychic". They discovered later that is was a hoax? As soon as this con artist indentified himself as a psychic they should have know it was a hoax.

Sometimes the cops are the ones that call in the psychic. The nyc police dept use a couple they trust ,with good results.

I would say any call claiming dead bodies and blood,warrant a look see .

If its unfounded ,so what ,they are doing their job . The law suit against the cops will go nowhere is my guess.

libstaK you are right, most days it is not a gift and we constantly exhaust ourselves assisting others to find what they are looking for. Most feel beholden to help, otherwise the "gift" was for naught. For those who don't believe, that's fine. You are, after all, entitled to your opinion; even if you are wrong :)

From the article:

Despite popular belief and claims to the contrary, there is not a single documented case of a missing person being found or recovered due to psychic information. Psychics have consistently failed to find missing persons

We should stop this nonsense.

• Like 2

i'm wondering how they got a warrant to raid the place based on a couple phone calls from a psychic??

i'm wondering how they got a warrant to raid the place based on a couple phone calls from a psychic??

I would guess that they needed to check it out in case the caller had actual evidence of a real crime and was covering up their part in it by claiming to be a psychic...

I could see an apolgy by the cops for disturbing the people... but I think a law suit against them is a bit much...

However with the way I generally feel about the media - suing them is fair game....

Edited by Taun

I would guess that they needed to check it out in case the caller had actual evidence of a real crime and was covering up their part in it by claiming to be a psychic...

I could see an apolgy by the cops for disturbing the people... but I think a law suit against them is a bit much...

However with the way I generally feel about the media - suing them is fair game....

a raid isn't the same as just going in and checking a few things out. a raid implies they had some pretty good evidence of a crime.

in any case, i'm wondering why they weren't interested in knowing more about the psychic before jumping into such an incredulous story

I

From the article:

Despite popular belief and claims to the contrary, there is not a single documented case of a missing person being found or recovered due to psychic information. Psychics have consistently failed to find missing persons

A bunch of police departments would beg to differ ,and the nyc cops don't use them for missing persons cases .

. http://brainz.org/10-greatest-psychic-sleuths-history/

Edited by Simbi Laveau

im sure it doesnt matter who you are, if they get calls that there is a murder, they are obligated to check it out. and thankfully so. who knows what this psychic saw, perhaps it was an old vision and it was actually indians that were slaughtered? or perhaps this is something that was yet to come? or perhaps they were not a legit psychic at all.

From the article:

Yup.

I think these psychics cause real problems because they tend to make criminal cases about THEM and THEIR supposed powers. Instead of the severity of the case itself. It's attention seeking and it's not healthy for the criminal justice system.

I

A bunch of police departments would beg to differ ,and the nyc cops don't use them for missing persons cases .

. http://brainz.org/10...leuths-history/

Simbi, with complete respect, if it were proveable, or even consistently reliable, every police force on the planet would have a psychic division working on every single crime. However, they do not. Maybe a few people have gotten lucky, maybe a few others were actually involved in the crime, maybe, maybe, maybe... That's the problem with this, it's all a bunch of maybe's. Even the article you quoted says things like "appers to have" and "was reported to", and gets excited about "up to a 75% success rate". There is nothing concrete about this. Whatsoever.

It would be cool to have a world where all of life's problems could be solved by thinking about them while holding a finger to your temple, but the reality in this particular scenario is that we need good solid police work, uncluttered by at best well meaning yet delusional people, at worst people involved with the actual crimes, and at most likely people who are just in it for the attention. All one needs to do is refer to the article this thread is about to see the logic in that.

Personally, I hope this person's lawsuit succeeds, so that police departments contemplating such a gong show will be forced to think twice before going against the logic and common sense their profession SHOULD be based ENTIRELY upon, and that the topic not be revisited until someone can demonstrate a 100% success rate in this methodology over an enormous multitude of tests.

• Like 2