Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

GMO Labeling Bill Voted Down In Senate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

The United States Senate decided again Thursday that it simply does not want to let states tell people whether or not they are eating genetically modified food.
The Senate voted overwhelmingly -- 71 to 27-- against an amendment to the sweeping farm bill, squashing a measure that would not have required labeling of genetically modified organisms, but merely would have let states decide if they wanted to require such labeling.
"The concept we're talking about today is a fairly commonsense and non-radical idea," Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), the sponsor of the amendment, said shortly before the vote. "All over the world, in the European Union, in many other countries around the world, dozens and dozens of countries, people are able to look at the food that they are buying and determine through labeling whether or not that product contains genetically modified organisms."
Sanders has noted that more than 3,000 ingredients are required to be labeled, but genetically modified ingredients are not part of that list. His state and Connecticut have passed laws to require such labeling, but Sanders said local leaders fear that large biotech corporations such as Monsanto could sue the states on the grounds that they are preempting federal authority. He said his bill would make clear that states can do what they want on the issue.

I decided to put this is the conspiracy category primarily because of this statement:

I believe we must rely on the FDA's science-based examination before we make conclusions about food ingredients derived from genetically modified foods

http://www.huffingto...kushpmg00000037

I firmly believe that the FDA approval on many GMOs lacks any real depth with respect to long.term and environmental impact.

To be clear, I´m not against GM foods. I just believe that if the majority of people are calling for labelling, then it should happen.

U.S. Polls on GE Food Labeling
http://www.centerfor...e-food-labeling

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

I think they should be labeled.  I'm tired of big corporations running the show.

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

The FDA are the ones who deemed walnuts a drug,and pizza a vegetable. They are also the ones that say a misused herb is illegal ,but then approve HUNDREDS OF DRUGS ,with hundreds of side affects,that kill 1000s. I beg to differ with anything they claim .
They are ,in essence ,murderers .
Their science seems to lack any real research . If it did,none of the drugs they allow on the market,would be on the market .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 23 May 2013 - 08:16 PM.

Miss me?

#4    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Naked Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

• Mercy is a more complete observance

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'm against GMO as long as:

1. They're proved safe in long terms, safe in decades of use. Proved without doubt as humanly possible.
2. There's good enough alternatives for GMO and part 1. hasn't been fulfilled.

Right now both make me lean against GMO. I guess this industry too needs something like what happened to tobacco industry before there can actually be a chance, maybe not even then.

Can you imagine? Can you choose?
One thing there's more room for, is humility. Can you answer the question whether we're the epitome of existence, or extensions of it? Whatever existence, god, holiness, the god particle, life, or whatever it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users