Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Skeptics Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#76    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

Liquid Gardens, on 31 January 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

I think it more depends on your definition of "Islam", which seems to be excessively narrow and does not seem to acknowledge the breadth of belief under that umbrella.

The definition of "islam" is pretty straighforward, and contained in the Shahada. I have not been saying anything special or unusual, which you would know if you actually read up on islamic doctrine.

To give you a head-start, here is a quote that addresses your naive ignorance about the concept of "peace" directly:

"Both sides should acknowledge candidly that although they might use identical terms, these mean different things to each of them. The word peace, for example, implies to a Muslim the extension of the Dar al-Islam -- or House of Islam -- to the entire world. This is completely different from the Enlightenment concept of eternal peace that dominates Western thought. Only when the entire world is a Dar al-Islam will it be a Dar a-Salam, or House of Peace." (Bassam Tibi)

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#77    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• 1,802 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

Zaphod222, on 01 February 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

The definition of "islam" is pretty straighforward, and contained in the Shahada.

Really?  The Shahada says that "Islam is a monotheistic and Abrahamic religion articulated by the Qur'an"?

To give you a head-start, here is a quote that addresses your naive ignorance about the concept of "peace" directly:

"Both sides should acknowledge candidly that although they might use identical terms, these mean different things to each of them. The word peace, for example, implies to a Muslim the extension of the Dar al-Islam -- or House of Islam -- to the entire world. This is completely different from the Enlightenment concept of eternal peace that dominates Western thought. Only when the entire world is a Dar al-Islam will it be a Dar a-Salam, or House of Peace." (Bassam Tibi)

Here's what you originally said:  "And if you fall for the simplistic talking point that islam wants "peace", you only show that you have not studied the issue. I would recommend to inform yourself about the definition of "peace" within islamic dogma. Hint: It is not what you and I understand by "peace"."  So you obviously meant by 'islam' what is said in the Shahada since its definition is pretty straightforward, Captain Equivocation?  Apparently religious creeds can 'want' things like peace now?

Regardless, you are using 'peace' in this sentence without defining it, for less myopic definitions of 'islam' and 'peace' than you appear to be using, Islam wants peace, as a sizable number of Muslims want 'peace' as we mean it here in the western world.  I'm assuming that you are not defining 'Islam' by the worst members of it, criticizing fundamentalists is going after pretty low hanging fruit.  We may partially agree in that 'islam wants peace' is too simplistic of a statement, it is difficult on the converse to my position to ignore the violence either; even though a lot of that religious violence is overlaid with what is probably better termed political violence, to be consistent it can't be ignored either.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#78    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

Liquid Gardens, on 01 February 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

Really?  The Shahada says that "Islam is a monotheistic and Abrahamic religion articulated by the Qur'an"?

The Shahada declares that Allah is god and Mohammed is is prophet. All the problems flow from there.

Liquid Gardens, on 01 February 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

Regardless, you are using 'peace' in this sentence without defining it, for less myopic definitions of 'islam' and 'peace' than you appear to be using, Islam wants peace, as a sizable number of Muslims want 'peace' as we mean it here in the western world.

You can endlessly pontificate about the "number of muslims" that you image want this or that, but that does not change the fact that islamic doctrine defines "peace" differently from you and I.
That there are plenty of nominal muslims who do not know or care about their religion is a given.

Btw, it is pretty funny that we are regularly lectured about the peaceful nature of islam by well-meaning, but naive non-muslims. Now, if we heard a clear statement that islam wants "peace" the way the Western cultures define it, that would be something. But don´t hold your breath for that.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#79    Verloc

Verloc

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 23 posts

• War....war never changes.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Etu Malku, on 27 January 2013 - 03:47 AM, said:

Obviously Luciferianism is the only intelligent and least harmful religion!
Of course I am biased :innocent:

I'm curious, you follow a Satanic religion?
So you believe in God but choose to serve the Devil?
Which is just another 'being' anthropomorphized  by humans, to explain the "evil" in man and the world?

#80    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• 1,802 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Zaphod222, on 01 February 2013 - 05:25 AM, said:

The Shahada declares that Allah is god and Mohammed is is prophet. All the problems flow from there.

Ah, so we're safely into opinion territory then; duly noted and disregarded.

You can endlessly pontificate about the "number of muslims" that you image want this or that, but that does not change the fact that islamic doctrine defines "peace" differently from you and I.
That there are plenty of nominal muslims who do not know or care about their religion is a given.

I don't have to imagine squat; do you really need to be hand-held through a google search?  You seem to have this illusion that it is valid for you to just self-select one particular definition of words and act like it's the only one.  Islam is not just one doctrine, it includes what its practitioners believe, why that needs to be explained to you eludes me.  I've read parts of the Qur'an and I see plenty that I see perfectly consistent and supporting of the western concept of 'peace'.  You're playing word games.

Btw, it is pretty funny that we are regularly lectured about the peaceful nature of islam by well-meaning, but naive non-muslims. Now, if we heard a clear statement that islam wants "peace" the way the Western cultures define it, that would be something. But don´t hold your breath for that.

As opposed to being lectured about how non-peaceful it is by naive non-muslims such as yourself?  "Islam" cannot give a clear statement, anymore than 'Christianity' can, it encompasses the beliefs of billions of people, these are not monolithic ideas or groups.  Apparently for you though, "Islam" only includes the Muslims who believe what are convenient for your 'argument'.  Are you really claiming that Islam and Muslims have no concept at all of 'peace' as Western cultures define it?

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#81    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Verloc, on 01 February 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

Can you tell me, what makes you think that Lucifer is in fact the devil? Before the King James bible existed, what did people ref to Lucifer as ?

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 01 February 2013 - 07:38 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#82    Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

• Mercuræn

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

Verloc, on 01 February 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

Which is just another 'being' anthropomorphized  by humans, to explain the "evil" in man and the world?
If I were a Satanist then I would be following a Satanic religion, but I'm a Luciferian.
No, lol, I do not believe in the Abrahamic god, or any god for that matter.

Non-Theistic Luciferians as myself, are not concerned about Abrahamic symbolism, they understand that archetypal images such as demons and angels or any form of god are merely symbols towards stirring the Psyche in order to help momentarily change the current objective universe.

We do not worship Satan nor even believe in Satan. The Adversary is a trans-cultural archetype which existed long before Christianity began in the form of Samael, Ahriman and the feminine aspect being Lilith among others.

Tarkhem Productions
   IAMTHATIAMNOT

#83    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

Liquid Gardens, on 01 February 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

Ah, so we're safely into opinion territory then; duly noted and disregarded.

No. Islam is stuck with the dogma of the Koran being the literal word of god, and Mohammed the perfect man. THAT is where all the problems flow from.
Christianity had the age of the enlightenment; no such thing happened in islam.
Sorry, I assumed you knew that.

I don't have to imagine squat; do you really need to be hand-held through a google search?  You seem to have this illusion that it is valid for you to just self-select one particular definition of words and act like it's the only one.  Islam is not just one doctrine, it includes what its practitioners believe, why that needs to be explained to you eludes me.  I've read parts of the Qur'an and I see plenty that I see perfectly consistent and supporting of the western concept of 'peace'.  You're playing word games.

Unlike what you imagine, islam is not this sort of smorgasbord, where you are free to pick and choose. The dogma of the Koran being literal and Mohammed the perfect mean means that those who study it inevitably become radicalized. And it being a personal religion, there is no such thing as a Vatican to moderate it.
As for the Koran reading, I recommend you read all of it PLUS inform yourself of the chronological order. That will give you a different picture.

As opposed to being lectured about how non-peaceful it is by naive non-muslims such as yourself?  "Islam" cannot give a clear statement, anymore than 'Christianity' can, it encompasses the beliefs of billions of people, these are not monolithic ideas or groups.  Apparently for you though, "Islam" only includes the Muslims who believe what are convenient for your 'argument'.  Are you really claiming that Islam and Muslims have no concept at all of 'peace' as Western cultures define it?

Actually, I quoted Bassam Tibi, who, unlike you, speaks with authority on the subject. SInce you know how to google, do look him up.

#84    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 16,075 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

Etu Malku, on 01 February 2013 - 01:01 AM, said:

You're a lucky man Walker!
My wife teaches a course on Tantric sex and can induce multiple orgasms in a male . . . god I love her!
Ah tantric sex. Takes me back to my hippy days.
About the only sort i get these days, but still the best. lol

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#85    Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

• Mercuræn

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:35 AM

Mr Walker, on 02 February 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

Ah tantric sex. Takes me back to my hippy days.
About the only sort i get these days, but still the best. lol
I admit, when I first came here and encountered you, I was certain you were to be an adversary in religious philosophy and my beliefs.

I was wrong. :wub:

Tarkhem Productions
   IAMTHATIAMNOT

#86    Tor_Hershman

Tor_Hershman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• There is no God in foxholes

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:10 AM

Yea verity, such a religion hast existed for quite a time...&.....here it IS!

http://www.edwood.org/

BTW I made most of the animated gifs for Savior Wood's church.

Posted Image

#87    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,909 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

Might want to keep an eye on the dates of the last post.  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users