Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sun’s activity influences natural climate

regeneratia

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140818095204.htm

Sun’s activity influences natural climate change, ice age study shows

Date:

August 18, 2014

Source:

Lund University

Summary:

A new study has, for the first time, reconstructed solar activity during the last ice age. The study shows that the regional climate is influenced by the sun and offers opportunities to better predict future climate conditions in certain regions.

The study shows an unexpected link between solar activity and climate change. It shows both that changes in solar activity are nothing new and that solar activity influences the climate, especially on a regional level. Understanding these processes helps us to better forecast the climate in certain regions," said Raimund Muscheler, Lecturer in Quaternary Geology at Lund University and co-author of the study.....

"Reduced solar activity could lead to colder winters in Northern Europe. This is because the sun's UV radiation affects the atmospheric circulation. Interestingly, the same processes lead to warmer winters in Greenland, with greater snowfall and more storms. The study also shows that the various solar processes need to be included in climate models in order to better predict future global and regional climate change," said Dr Muscheler.

end of quote

• Like 2

Is anybody arguing that it doesn't? I would think that multiple factors would play into a changing climate, not just one all end all cause.

Is anybody arguing that it doesn't? I would think that multiple factors would play into a changing climate, not just one all end all cause.

i agree but i think what they're trying to tell us that the solar activity is the major factor in play

TA DA...

?????

So what? We've known that the solar cycle is linked to climate for several decades at least. I can even show it in my tree ring collection. Also, if you'll check the amplitude of solar cycle effects, you'll find it pretty small. BTW: the amplitude is a good way to tell which cycles have the greatest effect: the greater the amplitude, the greater the effect.

Doug