Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Biden's tip for self-defense: Get a shotgun

joe biden guns shotgun

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,278 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostThanato, on 20 February 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

Why not get some RPGs?
If the need ever arises.  Count on it.

#32    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'm glad some people here have actually seen a shotgun in person. It slays me how these threads always have people talking about a shotgun like you pull the trigger and anything withinin a 180 degree arc in front of you dies. There are reasons a shotgun is preferable to other weapons as a home defense weapon:

1 - They're intimidating. It just has more psychological impact for someone to see you holding a rifle-sized weapon than a pistol-sized one (especially if you're looking down the bore of a 12 gauge and imagine the amount of lead that will come out when the trigger's pulled). Also, the sound of a pump shotgun chambering a shell in an otherwise quiet room is one of the most bowel-loosening sounds known to man.

2 - Unlike rifles, the chance of a stray shot from a shotgun going through your walls and across the street, through the neighbor's walls and killing him when he's in his living room is almost nonexistent. This is true even with a slug. You can cheat by using sabot loads, but those are for big game hunting just like the ammo most big rifles fire.

There may be other pros to the use of a shotgun as a home defense weapon, but the idea that you can close your eyes and pull the trigger and kill anyone else who happens to be in the same room with you is only one of them in the minds of those who get their ideas about shotguns from movies.

Edited by sam12six, 20 February 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#33    Clyde the Glyde

Clyde the Glyde

Psychic Spy

• 1,861 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

I think one important question to ask yourself is  Do you want the thug to live or die via your gun blast ? ( Or do you care ? )   It's always been my understanding that you want the thug dead in one shot.  Multiple shots pumped into one victim takes much more explaining and convincing to do for the authorities.  And if the thug lives,  it makes it far more easier for them to file a lawsuit.

So I would go with whatever I feel has the most firepower.

#34    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,114 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

View Postaztek, on 20 February 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

nonsence.

pistol is a lot more covinient, and easier to handle in tight spaces, like halways, where most shootings occur. try it, not to metion a soundwave from a shotgun, inside clodsed space will dissorient the s..t out of most, +huge muzzle falsh. half blinded, with loud ringing in your ears, will make you a perfect target, again try it,  oh, btw buck shot is a bad idea either, interior walls made from sheetrock, buckshot will go thru 2 walls easy, have done it myself, not once.   and yea, if i hear my window brake ot 2am, looking for my recoil pad will be last thing i would care about.

no, you can.t buy a tactical shotgun here, they are banned here., short barreled shotguns would be a bit easier to handle in confined space, but they are banned here as well.

i don't know where you got your info, but obviusly it is far from real world.

Shooting at the range is very different than shooting under high stress.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#35    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,259 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

I think that the main advantage of the shotgun is psychological, as far as home invaders are involved. The homeowner feels more confident with a bigger gun, and the intruder has more intimitation when he learns there is a shotgun in the house.

I've also seen the inaccuracy of various pistols. If the pistol shooter is small, or old, or inexperinced, or twitchy, or just not very strong, then a mid range pistol is going to be hard for them to use with good accuracy. To hit an intruder, even at 20 feet, they will have to empty the clip. With a shotgun braced on the shoulder, aiming and hitting are a lot easier. I'd think that it would take much more training to be a good pistol gunman, and less so to be to the same accuracy using a shotgun.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#36    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• 1,371 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 20 February 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

I think that the main advantage of the shotgun is psychological, as far as home invaders are involved. The homeowner feels more confident with a bigger gun, and the intruder has more intimitation when he learns there is a shotgun in the house.

I've also seen the inaccuracy of various pistols. If the pistol shooter is small, or old, or inexperinced, or twitchy, or just not very strong, then a mid range pistol is going to be hard for them to use with good accuracy. To hit an intruder, even at 20 feet, they will have to empty the clip. With a shotgun braced on the shoulder, aiming and hitting are a lot easier. I'd think that it would take much more training to be a good pistol gunman, and less so to be to the same accuracy using a shotgun.

Agreed. Also from an  effectiveness POV, a shotgun is superior. I've witnessed two people getting shot during fights with small caliber pistols and both times they kept coming. I simply cannot imagine someone doing the same being hit center mass with a load of buckshot. It's like being shot in the same spot several times.

Rifles are too powerful for point blank defense (say 10 feet). They're made to be effective at hundreds of yards. Both pistols and shotguns are designed for shorter ranges. Between the 2, a shotgun is more likely to put someone down without making a perfect shot and since a perfect shot isn't likely given the stress of the situation, I think it makes a more practical defense weapon.

#37    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,828 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

It all depends on what you are used to, what grain bullet and whether it's a hollow point or not. I'm not fond of long guns therefore I don't practice with them a great deal. I would much rather have the .357 or .45.

#38    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,879 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostThanato, on 20 February 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

Shooting at the range is very different than shooting under high stress.

correct but not much relavant. shoting pistol is faster, and easyer, under stress as well. just ask those that had that happen to them,
i'd take pistol over shotgun,
shotgun over ak,
and any weapon over no weapon.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#39    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,879 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 20 February 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

Who is "we"? Do you mean yourself?
my self included.

you are talking about americans, who believe in second amendment, and who fights to keep those rights, well, i'm one of them,

RESIDENT TROLL.

#40    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,463 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

oooh... Can we use an AA-12 ?

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 20 February 2013 - 09:17 PM.

Posted Image

#41    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,372 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

View PostMichelle, on 20 February 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

It all depends on what you are used to, what grain bullet and whether it's a hollow point or not. I'm not fond of long guns therefore I don't practice with them a great deal. I would much rather have the .357 or .45.

I love my twin 45's,but now days i am waiting for the day i turn on the tv hearing some jackass saying crimson trace laser grips are dangerous.Gives the law abiding citizen protecting his home to much of an advantage.We must take action,these must be banned!

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#42    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,828 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 20 February 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

I love my twin 45's,but now days i am waiting for the day i turn on the tv hearing some jackass saying crimson trace laser grips are dangerous.Gives the law abiding citizen protecting his home to much of an advantage.We must take action,these must be banned!

I've been thinking seriously about getting laser grips. Might be a good anniversary present. :tu:

#43    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,372 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

View PostMichelle, on 20 February 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

I've been thinking seriously about getting laser grips. Might be a good anniversary present. :tu:

You will not be dissapointed!Well worth the cost :tu:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#44    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,114 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

View Postaztek, on 20 February 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

correct but not much relavant. shoting pistol is faster, and easyer, under stress as well. just ask those that had that happen to them,
i'd take pistol over shotgun,
shotgun over ak,
and any weapon over no weapon.

I would choose a pistol only as a secondary weapon never a primary weapon. A shotgun makes a good room clearing weapon and close range weapon.

An AK is ok, but I would only take a new one as the used ones are rather unreliable.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#45    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

View Postsam12six, on 20 February 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

Agreed. Also from an  effectiveness POV, a shotgun is superior. I've witnessed two people getting shot during fights with small caliber pistols and both times they kept coming. I simply cannot imagine someone doing the same being hit center mass with a load of buckshot. It's like being shot in the same spot several times.

Rifles are too powerful for point blank defense (say 10 feet). They're made to be effective at hundreds of yards. Both pistols and shotguns are designed for shorter ranges. Between the 2, a shotgun is more likely to put someone down without making a perfect shot and since a perfect shot isn't likely given the stress of the situation, I think it makes a more practical defense weapon.

Which, in any case, why the hell do you need an assault rifle in the home anyway for the purposes of defence? Unless you're intent on shooting anything that comes up the street, why the hell is it necessary?

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

Also tagged with joe biden, guns, shotgun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users