Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

May a Christian Believe in Reincarnation?

Jor-el

There has been some debate over this issue and I thought that it deserves a thread of its' own. Strictly speaking, christians and Jews of the present day do not believe in reincarnation, but according to some, they once did.

No serious Christian wishes to be "carried about with diverse and strange doctrines, but rather to be established in "the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." Therefore our purpose in this brief study will be to determine if, in good conscience, a Christian may believe in reincarnation.

Reincarnation-also known as the transmigration of souls-is not some exotic idea of non-Christian mysticism. In ancient orthodox Jewish and Christian writings, as well as the Holy Scriptures, we can find reincarnation as a fully developed belief, although today it is commonly ignored.

A Jewish Belief

Reincarnation is commonly represented in the West as being an exclusively Hindu or Buddhist belief, but it is not. Reincarnation is a tenet of orthodox Judaism, wherein it is called gilgul or ha'atakah, and was so at the time of Christ, and automatically passed over into Christian theology.

Non-Belief in Reincarnation Rebuked By Jesus

When the Pharisee, Nicodemus, expressed his doubts as to a man being able to enter the womb and be born again, physically, saying: "How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?" the Lord Jesus reproved him, saying: "Art thou a master [teacher] of Israel, and knowest not these things?...If I have told you earthly things [about physical rebirth], and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things [about the spiritual rebirth]?"especially when every educated Jew was familiar with the already-cited words of Job: "Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither." Moreover, every Jew had heard these words of Moses scores of times: "Even from everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God. Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men....Thou carriest them away like a flood; they are as a sleep: in the morning they are like grass which groweth up [again]....in the evening it is [again] cut down."

This same idea was also to be found in the prayer of Tobit: "Blessed be God that liveth for ever, and blessed be his kingdom. For he doth scourge, and hath mercy: he leadeth down to hell [hades], and bringeth up again: neither is there any that can avoid his hand."

Also familiar would have been the direct reference to reincarnation in Ecclesiasticus: "Woe be unto you, ungodly men, which have forsaken the law of the most high God! For when you are born, you shall be born to a curse: and when you die, a curse shall be your portion. All that are of the earth shall return to the earth again: so the ungodly shall go from a curse to destruction."

See: May a Christian Believe in Reincarnation?

Then there is the opposing side:

Reincarnation is the belief that when one dies, one's body decomposes, but one is reborn in another body. It is the belief that one has lived before and will live again in another body after death. The bodies one passes in and out need not be human. One may have been a Doberman in a past life, and one may be a mite or a carrot in a future life. Some tribes avoid eating certain animals because they believe that the souls of their ancestors dwell in those animals.

On the other hand, reincarnation is a way of rejecting the Christian teaching of the final judgment by a holy God, with the possible result of being condemned to suffer in eternal hell,, as accepted by some gnostics, atheists and materialists...

Reincarnation is not a thrill for a Hindu, nor even a good happening to expect, it is the worse imaginable "curse"!... the greatest fear for a Hindu is not to die, but to reincarnate... all the ascetic sacrifices, all the hard yoga and puja practices, is to avoid reincarnation... to live nude or without food of a Jainist is to avoid the next reincarnation... the great sacrifices of a Buddhist in a monastery for life, is to obtain enlightenment, thus avoiding reincarnation...

For some westerns, it may be an opportunity God gives to amend previous errors. But one life-time should be more than enough enough for it... among other things, because God is for us, The God of the Bible wants everybody to go to eternal Heaven: 3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. (1Tim.2:3-4).

But even in this view, reincarnation does not make sense physically nor spiritually, because the soul incarnates in a different body, with a different brain; therefore, a different person is involved, and that person has not technically experienced reincarnation.

And if the soul reincarnates in a Doberman, she can became a great dog, but physically and spiritually totally incompatible with the human person before the reincarnation.

However, Reincarnation is totally opposed to the teachings of the Bible and of the Koran. You can not believe in Reincarnation and proclaim that you are a Jew, a Christian, or a Muslim... Reincarnation is a grave heresy against these three religions, against the revelations of God in the Bible and Koran.

See: Reincarnation Today

This thread deals exclusively on how Christians and Jews see the belief of reincarnation as is supposedly evidenced in the bible.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jor-el

• thaphantum

• Osirian

• Ashley-Star*Child

I can't see why a Christian could not believe in reincarnation, if they all followed words to the letter, everyone would be like robots, I am sure that is not how it was meant to be.

To be honest, I have always believed in reincarnation (well since I was 4 anyway lol). As I got older I just came to the conclusion that reincarnation was just a means to learn and evolve - for instance, in one life someone may be a doctor, in their next they may be a scientist, in their next a cleaner, etc etc all these lives would carry different values and enable someone to live a humble life, a rich life, a knowledgeable life, a teaching life and so on and so forth.

I don't for one minute think we can learn enough in one short lifetime, even if someone were to live to be 110 years old, it is still a short time to take in so much and what about if someone were done a great favour by another but was unable to pay that person back, maybe they can do it in their next life.

Reincarnation for me is like one long "soul life" with holiday breaks throughout - those holidays are physical death until we can come back.

Evenutually, we probably retire from Earth life, no idea how long that takes though - probably a lifetime :lol:

It would depend on ones definition of reincarnation. If you are talking about jumping species i.e. ‘he was a dog in his past life or a spruce tree in another’ I would draw the line. As a Christian I believe there are circumstances (without scriptural evidence) in cases such accidental death of a child or victims of murder, results of evil intent and direction. As well and this one ‘a touchy subject’ suicide as a result of drug interactions on mentality or being tormented and coerced into such action by evil people.

Perhaps even in some cases of accidental death. God has allowed these things to happen and He would have a means to remedy such happening by allowing a second chance on occasion.

Irish

I'm a Christian and I believe in Reincarnation. I wouldn't say I'm a church-going Christian, nor do I belong to any denomination.

linked-image

My difficulty in accepting this concept lies in that, it is not a widely held belief by christians and all scriptural refernces used by the site in question are out of context. If christians and Jews upheld this belief in the beginning, how could such a basic concept of the faith have been lost?

I'm a Christian and am open to the possibility of reincarnation. I don't know if I actually believe it to be fact, but it's very possible.

I'm a non-denominational Christian as well. I'd rather have a personal one on one relationship with Jesus than go through a (middle man) organized church.

But reading all the accounts of children in India who have realized who they were in a previous life, and have actually shown their parents the house they used to live in, in that prior life, naming people only the deceased (reincarnated) person would know, and being fully documented, I'd say it's a distinct possibility. :)

My difficulty in accepting this concept lies in that, it is not a widely held belief by christians and all scriptural refernces used by the site in question are out of context. If christians and Jews upheld this belief in the beginning, how could such a basic concept of the faith have been lost?

I believe that many of the texts that dealt with reincarnation were removed or excluded from the Bible, but here's one that makes you think:

"who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” If not for reincarnation, how would you explain a mans ability to sin before his birth?

Could be another explanation I suppose, but I haven't figured it out. :mellow:

I believe that many of the texts that dealt with reincarnation were removed or excluded from the Bible, but here's one that makes you think:

"who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?†If not for reincarnation, how would you explain a mans ability to sin before his birth?

Could be another explanation I suppose, but I haven't figured it out. :mellow:

that was a trick question... made to entrap Christ... that's why He didn't answer the question the way they thought He would... a man wasn't to be punished for the sins of his parents... so he couldn't give that as an answer... and a man can't sin before he is born... (they were suggesting reincarnation)... so he couldn't give that as an asnwer... so he said, this man was made for this moment so i could make him whole... (i was paraphrasing that)... just like the stoning of the woman where Jesus says "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." the jews believed that only God could be sinless, so if they threw a stone... they would be stoned themselves... not only that, the law said that they had to bring the man too... which they didn't...

other than that... personally i don't believe in reincarnation because of the whole concept...

let me know if i have this wrong... you are reborn to learn from the mistakes you made in a past life or to pay for evil you did in a past life... something to that effect... but if that's the case... why be born in the first place?

the Bible does address the subject of reincarnation... it sums it all up in one verse...

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" Hebrews 9:27

by the way... the OP took a verse out of context as the atheists on here would say.. they misquoted the entire thing since they only took part of it... under the secion

Non Belief In Reincarnation Rebuked By Jesus

if the OP had bothered to post the rest of the discussion... it is extremely obvious to the reader that Jesus was talking about being born again spiritually... not physically...

Here is the actual conversation from John 3

" 1There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. "

All of the examples the OP provided are parts that talk about the ressurection of mankind at the end to face judgement... in the book of Job... he says

"For I know that my redeemer liveth, and tht he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though after my skin , worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God." Job 19:25-26

There have never been verses in the Bible that allow for a belief in reincarnation... not even for violent death or otherwise... what would be the point of living and dying over and over again?

i can't speak for what a Supreme Being would and wouldn't do... i'll just say that the God of the Bible wouldn't do it... based on what i've read...

Lotus Flower

what would be the point of being born over and over again to learn? it's not like we would remember our past life anyway... according to how reincarnation works... so you basically live... die... forget everything you learned... just to do it again? doesn't make one bit of sense to me...

but that's just my opinion...

Edited by thaphantum

I see you've finally looked into it Jor-el. As I said before early Christians and Jews believed in reincarnation, and well so do I.

i believe in the resurrection of the body...you will return to your glorified body....this has been the only way that i can find in the scriptures....this is my personal belief and i am not trying to make anyone else believe anything they do not want to believe....i have done research on this issue and have found nothing conclusive to the contrary...anyway, once i am done in this life i don't want to come back to this place again for another life on eatrh....once has been enough for me.......

randomhit10

John 1:19 makes it implicitly clear that Jews believed in reincarnation while Matthew 17:10 confirms that Early Christians including the man for whom Christianity was named, also believed. Otherwise, John could not have been mistaken for Elias or Elijah, nor would he have been referred to such.

As well, reincarnation is further attested to since it is argued in some Christian circles that Jesus was in the Garden of Eden, or was Moses or other prophets. Of course the only way around this last point is to resolve that by faith Jesus is god and so is capable of manifesting himself as any personality he wishes.

I see you've finally looked into it Jor-el. As I said before early Christians and Jews believed in reincarnation, and well so do I.

When I look into issues, I do it wholeheartedly. Yet I cannot personally accept the belief of reincarnation as it is seen by you, simply because it contradicts scripture.

John 1:19 makes it implicitly clear that Jews believed in reincarnation while Matthew 17:10 confirms that Early Christians including the man for whom Christianity was named, also believed. Otherwise, John could not have been mistaken for Elias or Elijah, nor would he have been referred to such.

Actually, that is an error. Elijah was physically taken to heaven, wasn't he?

He didn't physically die. There are two specific examples of people being taken up to heaven. Enoch and Elijah. That means he was still alive when he was taken, as far as the scriptures go he is alive and well in heaven still in his physical body.

If he was reborn as John the Baptist, then what happened to his 1st body?

Don't tell me, he's got 2 bodies now and one is a spare. :rofl:

As well, reincarnation is further attested to since it is argued in some Christian circles that Jesus was in the Garden of Eden, or was Moses or other prophets. Of course the only way around this last point is to resolve that by faith Jesus is god and so is capable of manifesting himself as any personality he wishes.

Never heard of this, please elaborate.

Actually, that is an error. Elijah was physically taken to heaven, wasn't he?
It would be an error according to the writer of the Gospel who portrayed John the Baptist as having been conceived and born of a woman, not mine. And that speaks to the often illogical and circular interpretations of the narratives contained within those texts. hence some believe in reincarnation and some don't each picking and choosing verses that only suit their purpose.

He didn't physically die. There are two specific examples of people being taken up to heaven. Enoch and Elijah. That means he was still alive when he was taken, as far as the scriptures go he is alive and well in heaven still in his physical body.
And as far as the scriptures and pseudographia go for those two, they share the same space beside god as does the supposed son---his right hand.

Now then, I must take it that you TOO presume the words attributed to Jesus about John was a lie.

If he was reborn as John the Baptist, then what happened to his 1st body?

Don't tell me, he's got 2 bodies now and one is a spare. :rofl:

Read above then you tell me.

Never heard of this, please elaborate.
Now you have.

It would be an error according to the writer of the Gospel who portrayed John the Baptist as having been conceived and born of a woman, not mine. And that speaks to the often illogical and circular interpretations of the narratives contained within those texts. hence some believe in reincarnation and some don't each picking and choosing verses that only suit their purpose.

And as far as the scriptures and pseudographia go for those two, they share the same space beside god as does the supposed son---his right hand.

Now then, I must take it that you TOO presume the words attributed to Jesus about John was a lie.

Read above then you tell me.

Now you have.

Actually the scriptures don't go into detail over exactly where Elijah and Enoch are sitting or standing for that matter. For that you would have to rely on extra biblical sources.

Jesus was quite clear for those who read his words.

Matthew 11:7-14

7As John's disciples were leaving, Jesus began to speak to the crowd about John: "What did you go out into the desert to see? A reed swayed by the wind? 8If not, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? No, those who wear fine clothes are in kings' palaces. 9Then what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 10This is the one about whom it is written:

" 'I will send my messenger ahead of you,

who will prepare your way before you.'[c] 11I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it. 13For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come. 15He who has ears, let him hear.

Intersting choice of words. If one is willing to accept it, this man is "THE" Elijah (as in type). If it was really Elijah reincranted or in the flesh it would have been more correct to drop the "THE".

A simple case of grammatical misuse of words and people start believing reincarnation is acceptable (biblically speaking).

Actually the scriptures don't go into detail over exactly where Elijah and Enoch are sitting or standing for that matter. For that you would have to rely on extra biblical sources.
Refer back to my post.

Jesus was quite clear for those who read his words.

Matthew 11:7-14

7As John's disciples were leaving, Jesus began to speak to the crowd about John: "What did you go out into the desert to see? A reed swayed by the wind? 8If not, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? No, those who wear fine clothes are in kings' palaces. 9Then what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 10This is the one about whom it is written:

" 'I will send my messenger ahead of you,

who will prepare your way before you.'[c] 11I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it. 13For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come. 15He who has ears, let him hear.

and
Intersting choice of words. If one is willing to accept it, this man is "THE" Elijah (as in type).
Let us refer back to the words which billions of Christians over hundreds of years have died knowing, rather than playing fast and loose with late 20th century redactions. The KJV version which said:

Matthew----" And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come."

There is no " THE Elijah there." Never mind that John himself claimed otherwise:

John-----"And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not."

Mark----"But I say unto you, that Elias has indeed come..."

Luke----"This is he, of whom it is written..."

But this is why so many incorrectly quote the Bible, because time and time again it has been written to conform to what the authors want it to say.

Edited by 67thbook

Refer back to my post.

and Let us refer back to the words which billions of Christians over hundreds of years have died knowing, rather than playing fast and loose with late 20th century redactions. The KJV version which said:

There is no " THE Elijah there." Never mind that John himself claimed otherwise:

John-----"And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not."

But this is why so many incorrectly quote the Bible, because time and time again it has been written to conform to what the authors want it to say.

very well put... i was just about to answer that question... but you beat me to it... no matter how hard anyone looks, there is NOTHING in the Bible that indicates a belief in reincarnation...

only if you take the verse out of context and don't read the one's before or after it...

and i see that everyone that thinks so has avoided quoting my other post...

"It is appointed to men once to die..."

that pretty much clears everything up... there are very few philosophical or religious subjects that the Bible doesn't cover...

that was a trick question... made to entrap Christ... that's why He didn't answer the question the way they thought He would... a man wasn't to be punished for the sins of his parents... so he couldn't give that as an answer... and a man can't sin before he is born... (they were suggesting reincarnation)... so he couldn't give that as an asnwer... so he said, this man was made for this moment so i could make him whole... (i was paraphrasing that)... just like the stoning of the woman where Jesus says "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." the jews believed that only God could be sinless, so if they threw a stone... they would be stoned themselves... not only that, the law said that they had to bring the man too... which they didn't...

other than that... personally i don't believe in reincarnation because of the whole concept...

let me know if i have this wrong... you are reborn to learn from the mistakes you made in a past life or to pay for evil you did in a past life... something to that effect... but if that's the case... why be born in the first place?

the Bible does address the subject of reincarnation... it sums it all up in one verse...

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" Hebrews 9:27

by the way... the OP took a verse out of context as the atheists on here would say.. they misquoted the entire thing since they only took part of it... under the secion

Non Belief In Reincarnation Rebuked By Jesus

if the OP had bothered to post the rest of the discussion... it is extremely obvious to the reader that Jesus was talking about being born again spiritually... not physically...

Here is the actual conversation from John 3

" 1There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. "

All of the examples the OP provided are parts that talk about the ressurection of mankind at the end to face judgement... in the book of Job... he says

"For I know that my redeemer liveth, and tht he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though after my skin , worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God." Job 19:25-26

There have never been verses in the Bible that allow for a belief in reincarnation... not even for violent death or otherwise... what would be the point of living and dying over and over again?

i can't speak for what a Supreme Being would and wouldn't do... i'll just say that the God of the Bible wouldn't do it... based on what i've read...

Lotus Flower

what would be the point of being born over and over again to learn? it's not like we would remember our past life anyway... according to how reincarnation works... so you basically live... die... forget everything you learned... just to do it again? doesn't make one bit of sense to me...

but that's just my opinion...

I believe you are mistaken. I don't remember the exact scripture, but seem to recall some Jews believing Jesus was "Elijah reborn". Early Christians believed the anti-christ of Revelation would be Nero Caesar reincanated in a differeent body.

Demons that were once "fallen angels" is a pagan superstitious nonsesnse, though ghosts/spirits are mentioned in the Bible and acknowledged. Since there are no fallen angels/demons in the real Bible, perhaps what was thought to b demons were only disembodied souls that have possessed th souls of others.

Souls were by no means immortal in early Christian theology. There are several mosaics and ivory bible covers that portray heavenly judgements, with God on his throne of living Seraphim-dragons, some of which can be seen swallowing up those human souls who did not pass judgement. And early Christian scritpures state the same thing, heavenly dragons who consume the souls of the wicked, a practice known in many other cultures as well, the best known being the crocodile headed monster Ammut, who swallows the souls of the wicked in Egyptian theology.

This was a widespread Christian belief until the success of Dante's Inferno, which gave us our modern idea of a hell ruled by a devil where the souls of the wicked are tormented forever.

Jewish Orthodoxy believes in a bodily resurrection at an appointed time in the future. Therefore, reincarnation is not a doctrine held by the Jewish faith. This is why burial versus cremation is part of the Mosaic Law. MODERN Christianity believes in the afterlife of heaven or hell. Therefore, reincarnation is not a doctrine that is held by either of these faiths. The first century Christians, however, did not appear to believe in an immediate trip to heaven or hell, but held to the belief that the dead do not live again until the resurrection.

When I look into issues, I do it wholeheartedly. Yet I cannot personally accept the belief of reincarnation as it is seen by you, simply because it contradicts scripture.

Jorel surprise surprise i don't beleive in this either not for your reasons but i think it is a romaticised way to avoid death, to bring comfort around the death experince......My understanding that reincarnation was borrowed from buddhism and incorporated into Catholics under the guise of purgatory and that many relgions do beleive in a after life of some sort loosely based on this idea.....

very well put... i was just about to answer that question... but you beat me to it... no matter how hard anyone looks, there is NOTHING in the Bible that indicates a belief in reincarnation...

only if you take the verse out of context and don't read the one's before or after it...

and i see that everyone that thinks so has avoided quoting my other post...

"It is appointed to men once to die..."

that pretty much clears everything up... there are very few philosophical or religious subjects that the Bible doesn't cover...

Revelation 20:6

"Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years."

Why would Hebrews talk of man only dying once and in Revelation speak of man dying twice. Is this a contradiction?

Hebrews 9:27 isn't discussing reincarnation at all. It is addressing the sacrafice of Christ, and whether or not Jesus would have to die more than once for the sins of mankind.

This was a legitimate concern, as Hebrew law required a blood sacrifice every year in the temple for the forgiveness of all of their sins. In reading all of Hebrews chapter 9 it becomes clear that it is centered on answering these concerns.

Edited by uhmanduh

Refer back to my post.

and Let us refer back to the words which billions of Christians over hundreds of years have died knowing, rather than playing fast and loose with late 20th century redactions. The KJV version which said:

I did refer back to your post. It talks of extra biblical sources. What is concerned here is biblical sources.

If John himself said that he was not Elijah, who am I to argue. This proves that what was being talked about here has nothing to do with reincarnation.

As for Jesus himself, whether you accept what I said prviously, or not isn't important. The words were used figuratively to illustrate a point of contention that was circulating at that time.

If Jeus was the Messiah where was Elijah who was supposed to come prepare the way?

It was due to this continuing question that Jesus gave the answer he did. If the people were willing to accept it, John was Elijah in a figurative sense.

Jewish Orthodoxy believes in a bodily resurrection at an appointed time in the future. Therefore, reincarnation is not a doctrine held by the Jewish faith. This is why burial versus cremation is part of the Mosaic Law. MODERN Christianity believes in the afterlife of heaven or hell. Therefore, reincarnation is not a doctrine that is held by either of these faiths. The first century Christians, however, did not appear to believe in an immediate trip to heaven or hell, but held to the belief that the dead do not live again until the resurrection.

This exactly my interpretation of things as well.

It is only a very little minority that have a different view, mainly due to cabbalistic teachings and acceptance of the Midrash as if it were scripture itself.

Edited by Jor-el

Jorel surprise surprise i don't beleive in this either not for your reasons but i think it is a romaticised way to avoid death, to bring comfort around the death experince......My understanding that reincarnation was borrowed from buddhism and incorporated into Catholics under the guise of purgatory and that many relgions do beleive in a after life of some sort loosely based on this idea.....

Thanks Sheri for your participation. Yes there are many such beliefs in a minority of christian churches, unfortunately they tend to be rather loose in their interpretation of biblical texts.

Both Enoch's and Elijah's body 'fell away' on their trip to Heaven when they became angels. Metatron (Enoch) sits next to God's throne and is one of the highest angels in Heaven bar 8 whose rank exceeds his. Elijah became the angel Sandalphon 'twin brother' of Metatron.