Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spider's venom may save the world's honeybees

Still Waters

Spiders could be the key to saving bees from harmful toxins after researchers found a bio-pesticide created using spider venom and a plant protein is highly toxic to a number of insect pests - but safe for honeybees.

http://www.independe...es-9482087.html

• Like 1

Did you know.....

"The World Health Organization and the UN Environment Programme estimate that each year, 3 million workers in agriculture in the developing world experience severe poisoning from pesticides, about 18,000 of whom die. According to one study, as many as 25 million workers in developing countries may suffer mild pesticide poisoning yearly.

One study found pesticide self-poisoning the method of choice in one third of suicides worldwide, and recommended, among other things, more restrictions on the types of pesticides that are most harmful to humans.

A 2007 study by the California Department of Public Health found that women in the first eight weeks of pregnancy who live near farm fields sprayed with the organochlorine pesticides dicofol and endosulfan are several times more likely to give birth to children with autism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide

:(

• Like 2

Did you know.....

"The World Health Organization and the UN Environment Programme estimate that each year, 3 million workers in agriculture in the developing world experience severe poisoning from pesticides, about 18,000 of whom die. According to one study, as many as 25 million workers in developing countries may suffer mild pesticide poisoning yearly.

One study found pesticide self-poisoning the method of choice in one third of suicides worldwide, and recommended, among other things, more restrictions on the types of pesticides that are most harmful to humans.

A 2007 study by the California Department of Public Health found that women in the first eight weeks of pregnancy who live near farm fields sprayed with the organochlorine pesticides dicofol and endosulfan are several times more likely to give birth to children with autism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide

:(

I have to wonder also how many cases of cancer originated from consumption of crops and/or animals that feed on crops being exposed to pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, antibiotics, GMO food and so forth, or exposure to these same chemicals during growing and harvesting. Even if you opt for an organic diet, chances are most of the restaurants you occasionally go to do not specialize in organic food and who can say what level of exposure is "harmless?"

I realize that without these modern chemicals and procedures, the world might starve, but just because you can produce larger quantities of food does not necessarily mean they are free from all health concerns.

Also, perhaps it's merely anecdotal, but I see far fewer both numbers and species of insects in general now then I saw as a child, and I was very interested in "bugs" as a kid. So it's not just bees that are disappearing, butterfles, moths, beetles (including fireflies), and other insect fauna seem to be getting scarcer as well.

• Like 1