Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Big Rats with a Big Job

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    glynne64

glynne64

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

• "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

~~Albert Einstein~~

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:55 AM

I just saw this on Animal Planet.  Fascinating stuff.
Apopo Rats

linked-image

Being that they are the size of a small cat, I'm kinda glad they are on our side!!   yes.gif

Posted Image
R U on the list?
HEROES HOMEPAGE

Good things seldom come in pairs.
Bad things never walk alone.
~Chinese proverb~

#2    leadbelly

leadbelly

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:38 AM

I looked at the various pictures, and it's a pretty clever idea. I don't like rats, or digging for explosives. Somebody has to do it, though.

That's in Africa. Population pressures and tribalism keep that continent in a running-war mode, year after year. Even if the major suppliers of landmines dry up and go away, the other implements of war won't ever disappear.

What is important to the West, is enough stability to insure that African oil and metals are brought to market. To those ends, trade pacts and assistance are supplied.

Sidenote- on the news, they said so much donated clothing from America ends up sold on the african black market, that at least ten thousand textile workers have lost their jobs in those areas. An instance where kindness has unintended results.

#3    m. Moe

m. Moe

UMs Official Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

• I'm that evil voice in your head that tells you to burn things.

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:58 AM

I've heard of German Shepards doing this, but not rats. It's very interesting, but I would still take the dog over the rodent any day. laugh.gif

Posted Image
Signature by the_scorpian
"Sweet lovely death, I'm waiting for your breath, come sweet death one last caress"
Congrats, you found my subliminal message. Now pat yourself on the back and stop highlighting my signature

#4    glynne64

glynne64

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

• "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

~~Albert Einstein~~

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:50 PM

I've heard of German Shepards doing this, but not rats. It's very interesting, but I would still take the dog over the rodent any day. laugh.gif

Well, they use dogs also, but since the rat weighs in at 3 lbs. (on average), they do not set off the landmines.  The program I saw used both rats & dogs together.  Interesting co-workers, huh?

Posted Image
R U on the list?
HEROES HOMEPAGE

Good things seldom come in pairs.
Bad things never walk alone.
~Chinese proverb~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users