Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Retired Lab Chimps See The Sky For First Time

lab chimps chimp haven sanctuary keithville sky

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 11 March 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

I couldn't have said it better, Coffey. We could do much better for our kindred.

Why should humans be the only species on the planet that looks after other species?

Chimps may be the most closely-related species to humans, but why do we need to look after them?  Come on.  I'd like good answers.  No other animal has to follow a set of laws that says that they have to protect other species.  Humans shouldn't have to be any different.  It's not what nature intended, surely.

I don't want any rubbish that says "We are intelligent enough to do so."  There is just no reason whatsoever why humans should have to care about other species.  No other species on the planet does that.  Chimps going extinct does humans no disadvantage as far as I'm aware.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 13 March 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#32    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• 1,007 posts

• "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    -Buddha

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 13 March 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Why should humans be the only species on the planet that looks after other species?

Chimps may be the most closely-related species to humans, but why do we need to look after them?  Come on.  I'd like good answers.  No other animal has to follow a set of laws that says that they have to protect other species.  Humans shouldn't have to be any different.  It's not what nature intended, surely.

I don't want any rubbish that says "We are intelligent enough to do so."  There is just no reason whatsoever why humans should have to care about other species.  No other species on the planet does that.  Chimps going extinct does humans no disadvantage as far as I'm aware.

Not to mention the fact that chimps are dangerous, savage creatures that will rip a humans face clean off and mutilate humans if it gets p***ed off. But they are fascinating creatures that we can learn a lot from. But you are right, nature does not require that we look after them or any other creature. In fact in nature if a creature fails to look after itself and adapt to changing conditions then that creature goes extinct. That is just the reality of nature. Humans are rather odd aren't we? I read that some want to air-drop food to help starving polar bears...yeah lets feed the bears and just let millions of impoverished Africans, Haitians, Indians, and countless other humans die of starvation... yup makes perfect sense.

#33    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Polar bears aren't endangered.  That's a green myth.  There are more of them than ever before.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 13 March 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#34    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 13 March 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Look after? From what, ourselves? Yes, that's what we're discussing on this thread, animal testing. It's not elephants experimenting on rats and mice. It's not aliens.

Chimps may be the most closely-related species to humans, but why do we need to look after them?  Come on.  I'd like good answers.

Look after them? You mean save them from extinction? Human activities are responsible for the latest round of mass extinctions so I think we have a moral obligation to mitigate it. Plus there are pragmatic reasons, loss of biodiversity is unhealthy for the planet.

No other animal has to follow a set of laws that says that they have to protect other species.  

There are other species that have laws?

Humans shouldn't have to be any different.

humans should have no laws?

It's not what nature intended, surely.

What, morality and compassion, or laws? Empathy and altruism are seen in other species including archaic hominids, it's very much a natural evolutionary adaptation.

I don't want any rubbish that says "We are intelligent enough to do so."

Intelligence is different from empathy

There is just no reason whatsoever why humans should have to care about other species.  No other species on the planet does that.

So humans shouldn't do anything that other species can't do?

Chimps going extinct does humans no disadvantage as far as I'm aware.

This is where everyone for animal testing on this thread should chime in; yes we need chimps for toxicity tests, medical drug testing, entertainment, and food in some countries. I hold that chimps have inherent value, in and of themselves.

What if apes went extinct, would you be ok with that too? Be advised though that we are also apes, naked ones.

#35    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

Those poor animals.

Humanity is disgusting.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#36    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• 1,007 posts

• "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    -Buddha

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 14 March 2013 - 12:40 AM, said:

Those poor animals.

Humanity is disgusting.

Care to donate $$$ so that animals like this can be housed more humanely, perhaps outside even while they are being observed? Or do you have a better suggestion as to how we can gain knowledge?

#37    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

I feel sorry for them, they shouldn't be treated this way.  It wouldn't take any money to take care of them if we had left them in the wild.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users