Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could robots become too cute for comfort?

Still Waters

Would you share your innermost secret with a robot? And if you did, would you be comfortable knowing that the secret might be stored online in the "cloud"?

Think of an elderly grandmother with dementia who becomes very attached to her robotic "pet" and you will realise that this isn't science fiction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-29737539

Am I the only one that finds this quite terrifying?

If the robots are anything like the self checkouts in my local supermarket, They'll be breaking down every 5 minutes.

People can be annoying but i'd still rather deal with them than robots.

Edited by CatFromHell

I'm thinking of a more realistic female looking robot, which is programmable and does all the cleaning around the house without complaining. Now that's the way to go.:)

I'd like to have a cute robot companion to keep me company. Sort of like a pet. One I could talk to and it could talk to me. One programmed with knowledge that suited my interests. We could have great conversations and debates on various subjects.

It would have to have a pleasant personality, and would be able to laugh. I agree, the danger would be I would prefer my robot to actual human beings.

I like robots so it would be cool to have one of those small ones.

Like anything else you just have to take precautions because these things can and will be used to spy on you just like your lap top, Kinect thingee for XBox and so on.

Edited by Ryu

Back in he olden days, people shared their innermost secrets in diaries that could get lost or stolen, or in letters to friends. I'm always uncomfortably amused reading 19th or 18th century letters that conclude, "burn this letter as soon as you read it." Oops.

I like those robots, though. Some that try to appear too human get caught in the "uncanny valley" and just look creepy, like zombies. Trying for cuteness instead of trying to duplicate a real human, solves that problem.

i would love a 'pet' robot.

I don't share my innermost feelings with people, much less with some machine that can never respond outside of it's programming, that could be hacked from outside, or malfunction (dangerously),

or be incapable of even understanding what I'm talking about...

• Like 1