Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Calif. farmers convert beets to ethanol

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

FIVE POINTS, Calif.—Amid the vast almond orchards and grape fields that surround Five Points in California's Central Valley, a once-dominant crop that has nearly disappeared from the state's farms is making a comeback: sugar beets.
But these beets won't be processed into sugar. A dozen farmers, supported by university experts and a $5 million state grant, are set to start construction of a Fresno County demonstration plant that will convert the beets into ethanol.
If the demo project in Five Points succeeds, the farmers will build the nation's first commercial-scale bio-refinery in nearby Mendota to turn beets into biofuel. Europe already has more than a dozen such plants, but most ethanol in the U.S. is made from corn.

http://www.mercuryne...t-beets-ethanol

#2    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,519 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I hope this is successful, and I hope it is economically viable.  Because corn is such a staple in our food change, it was a very poor choice to use it for alcohol production.  It was done ONLY for the benefit of Big Agriculture, ADM and others.

Brazil uses sugar cane, as I understand it, and that is much better.

I'm all for alternative fuels, but using corn was a stupid choice.

#3    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 27 March 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

I hope this is successful, and I hope it is economically viable.  Because corn is such a staple in our food change, it was a very poor choice to use it for alcohol production.  It was done ONLY for the benefit of Big Agriculture, ADM and others.

Brazil uses sugar cane, as I understand it, and that is much better.

I'm all for alternative fuels, but using corn was a stupid choice.

They can always use it for booze:

Tuzemsky, a sugar beet-based alcohol brand from Czech Republic, is golden red in color.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sugar_beet

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users