Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Do movies influence UFO sightings ?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#46    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 03 April 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

Oh yes, I realise the skeptics (well, some of them) of the world are just sitting around waiting for evidence to materialise on the chat forums of the interwebz :tu:

I've seen plenty of questionable videos and photographs, both of UFOs and more my field, ghosts, and shock horror - they're never given a look. And if they are *deep breath*...

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

As far as the topic question goes, I don't think movies have much influence on sightings/experiences at all. Well, perhaps on the attention seekers of the world who crave a spotlight, but for the majority of folk? Nah.
To me the 'everything can be faked in a photo' has become an excuse. Of course things can be faked using CGI but that should not automatically disqualify every photograph taken. A persons testimony relies on there memory of an event. Memory is extremely unreliable and prone to unintentional modification. While there are many fake or edited photographs out there if there are ANY real ones the information contained is more 'factual' than a story. Again, imagine multiple photos from several locations similar to the Russian meteor. The larger the number of images the less likely it is to be faked. Multiple eyewitnesses would be given the same credence.

Eyewitnesses can certainly lie even in groups, whether intentionally or not. Humans have that down to a fine art and have done so since we likely started communicating and yet that is a better source of evidence??

Think about how many people spend time actually looking at the sky. Not many. When a movie comes out about aliens zipping around many people are going to look up. Due to not being aware of what is 'up there' they likely will see things they are not used to. Some of them are going to see 'UFO's and some of them are going to draw the conclusion, often mistakenly, that they are alien ships when it could be completely prosaic.

I do not automatically discount accounts of UFO sightings. It is just that an account is just that, an account. Nothing about a story can be verified without additional evidence to back it up.

#47    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Found this article on the faultiness of eyewitness testimony. Interesting.
Why Science Tells Us Not to Rely on Eyewitness Accounts - Scientific America

#48    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,097 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostEsoteric Toad, on 20 April 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

Indeed man is too unsure about most things he see`s and is exposed to. And by the fourth or fifth re-telling of any story things change. And movies do tend to sway ones concept of events.
But Some sightings are just too amazing not to look at a bit deeper.
There Out there,And Just WHat If we get to Greet & Meet them some day? Are you ready for that day? Maybe it will be a greet and Eat, Or Just scrub the planet off for the resources ! IMO it could happen. So Party Now and Enjoy your Lifes to the Fullest !

This is a Work in Progress!

#49    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostAndromedan Starseed 333, on 03 April 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

.you guys want real research and info on the supernatural and paranormal and UFOs people read actual books

Yep..... And they can all be found in the science fiction/fantasy section.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#50    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,265 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Precisely!! . :tu:

..so imagine youre driving by someones house on a sunny day, and you see a murder victim....

Posted Image

And when you called the police and they went there...no body could be found. BUT YOU SAW IT WITH YOUR OWN EYES!!

so you think....

Edited by seeder, 20 April 2013 - 09:17 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#51    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,265 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

and people who suffer pareidolia tend to see a little midget-man riding a woman's back,,

Posted Image

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#52    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,097 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:34 AM

Thats too True seeder ! But Go See Oblivion !

#53    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,265 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 21 April 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

Thats too True seeder ! But Go See Oblivion !

with Tom Cruise? if so cheers for the heads up, never heard of it before but IMDb tells me its worth watching... and I do have my free sources so maybe later today I will sit thru it!

#54    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,400 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

View PostMargeMars, on 22 April 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

Yes, there's definitely a convergence; people are extremely susceptible to what they view.  You can expect there to be an even larger surge of "sightings" with the release of "Sirius" tonight, which is a doc that's going to reveal an actual alien body with cross-referenced DNA testing.  Yes, I support this movie and if their finding are legitimate, I will be very excited for how it will open people's minds, but I am not excited for all the crazy people that will be claiming sightings after seeing this.  Here's a link if you want to pre-order the film.

http://www.yekra.com...=39589358mlet22

Seems like your only agenda here is to pimp out this film.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#55    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,097 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

I wonder If Heaven is a crack pipe has it down right? Movies do influnce us Just Look at what We all talk about in here.
If its not a movie or a sighting,or B.B.Q were just a bunch of babble-fish !

#56    Midyin

Midyin

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

I think UFO encounters encourage movies...

#57    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,759 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

And there is the Griffith University Innocence project freeing people wrongly convicted by eyewitness accounts.

LINK

Eyewitness misidentification is the single greatest cause of wrongful convictions nationwide, playing a role in nearly 75% of convictions overturned through DNA testing.

While eyewitness testimony can be persuasive evidence before a judge or jury, 30 years of strong social science research has proven that eyewitness identification is often unreliable. Research shows that the human mind is not like a tape recorder; we neither record events exactly as we see them, nor recall them like a tape that has been rewound. Instead, witness memory is like any other evidence at a crime scene; it must be preserved carefully and retrieved methodically, or it can be contaminated.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#58    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,759 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

View PostMidyin, on 23 April 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

I think UFO encounters encourage movies...

In some cases you would be right. Close Encounters of the Third Kind Portrayed the Portage County Incident, and even the esteemed J Allen Hynek made a cameo appearance. But largely, I would say it is the other way around.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#59    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,759 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

View Postseeder, on 21 April 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

with Tom Cruise? if so cheers for the heads up, never heard of it before but IMDb tells me its worth watching... and I do have my free sources so maybe later today I will sit thru it!

The Tom Cruise bit wrecks it somewhat.

#60    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,097 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

Well his latest movie isnt that bad,I would even give it a 3.5 but He really needs to get off that Wacko-religion trip ! :tu: :innocent: :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users