Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Solved] It's odd....

Hermai

I've been seeing a lot more new people to the forums lately. Not that its a bad thing at all. I enjoy seeing new faces. What I notice though is people that seemingly joined not a week ago and yet have maybe 300-400 + posts. I've been here for a year and yet I have not much over 200. (I think. I forget) Perhaps its becasue I read more than post...who knows. Just wanted to mention that.... blink.gif

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hermai

• Mr Ed

• TaintedDoughnuts

• Magikman

Maybe it's just that a lot of member frequent other forums, and seldom stray from them--look at me: this is only my second post in the GD Forum.

Mainly because I went on a little rant in the UFO Forum wink2.gif

As long as their contributions are insightful, relevant and aren't limited to one word replies or nothing but smilies, members aren't restricted to a certain amount of posts. As in real life, some members will be inspired to comment on many topics, others will limit their responses to things that only interest them. Everyone has their own pace.

I'm going to move this to a more appropriate category.

The most usual reason is because they post a lot in the Jokes, Puzzles, and Humor section, and that makes their amount of posts skyrocket! It really isn't right sometimes, but like Magickman said, as long as their posts aren't stupid, it's ok thumbsup.gif

whats the big concern with post count lately anyway? does it really bother you all that much?

Its cool to have new people, and yah, I've noticed the same thing original.gif New people usually have a lot to say.

whats the big concern with post count lately anyway? does it really bother you all that much?

712656[/snapback]

Because some of the older members get mad when someone with 10 posts tells them off original.gif

712656[/snapback]

actually I could care less. I'm just wondering where all the posts are coming from.

I try to post in every thread that i read.

Although i only read the ones i think i will enjoy.

see just to prove my point. I just saw someone who has been here about a month with 1,000 plus posts. And I myself am just wondering how they get them all that fast. I'm sure if I tried real real hard I could get it....but then again my goal isn't to have a crazy amount of posts...

See i like to see the number of posts go up.And getting new ranks.

But alot of poepl do alot of 1 or 2 words replies to posts.

No, they don't. It may have been a problem in the past, that's why some of the threads in the 'general off-topic' and/or jokes section are closed, to prevent deliberate padding. If anyone is discovered flooding the forum with nonsensical posts, unproductive chatting, or inappropriate behaviour, they are warned. This forum, however, is designed to encourage participation and develop a sense of community. Again, you will find a very diverse group of people here, some members are prolific posters, obviously they have very outgoing personalities. Others are more inclined to take whatever information and insights they discover from the topics to improve and expand their understanding of the subject, their contributions are only limited by choice. Everyone is different, what is important is the quality of the responses, not the quantity. Don't fixate on the count, rather, whether the members participation is genuine and productive.

MM

I agree half way.

UM always has a pocket of members that post upwards of 80 posts daily, the vast majority of this are one liners in the jokes and puzzels forum or the general section.

When one pocket realise how lame there act is or mods pick them up on it another comes along soon.

But it's just a phase that evrey member goes through - Me and you went through it, Tained - You'll not deny it.

But look at members like John-something: They went from 200 useless chatty posts daily in the flirt thread to between 5 and 10 insightful and intresting comments daily.

So when the members who do suffer from 'Chronic-posting', as it were, get past this, they'll turn out better members: As I did.

Said you with 29% of posts in off-topic. Joking, only joking. grin2.gif If you look i have about 25% in the same genre.

I am like that sometimes. I will go days with only a few well-thought posts and then have 80 in one day consisting partially of off-topic and jokes. It just depends on my mood on that day.

This forum, however, is designed to encourage participation and develop a sense of community.

712898[/snapback]

This is exactly what makes UM so popular. People feel welcome here. Whether you are outgoing or shy, you will find your niche here.

Everyone is different, what is important is the quality of the responses, not the quantity. Don't fixate on the count, rather, whether the members participation is genuine and productive.

712898[/snapback]

Well said as usual MM. yes.gif

It is not a competion. (ok well it stopped being a competion after about post 2000) tongue.gif

Of course lots of people go through a post whoring phase especially when they connect with people. It passes. Don't worry about it. They will stop and someone else will start. Provided they aren't breaking forum rules, who cares?

712656[/snapback]

Because some of the older members get mad when someone with 10 posts tells them off original.gif

712724[/snapback]

Doesnt that mean theyre just mad they cant compete with the dude with 10 posts? Correct me if I'm wrong but to tell someone off is almost the same as winning an arguement.

Edited by Euphoric Deception

712656[/snapback]

712724[/snapback]

Doesnt that mean theyre just mad they cant compete with the dude with 10 posts? Correct me if I'm wrong but to tell someone off is almost the same as winning an arguement.

713476[/snapback]

Before I reply to this I will say simply, It wasn't something I had a problem with. Ever. I was just taking notice of this and wondering if any others had. And now to reply to this post...I believe you get the wrong thing being said. Tainted meant someone who joined a week ago basically going toe to toe with someone who has been here for two years. To me at least it seems disrespectful that someone who is basically a Newb is trying to say that person is wrong without a real reason. Although besides that in the past I'm sure a few remember some of the pointless Newb threads that ranged form everything to Dragons being purple and other odd things... laugh.gif

I personally look for quality not quantity. If a newbie has 1000 post's so be it, the quality will be lacking with little input. If a newbie posts an insult or challenges the older member's (i mean long term members) then simple refer to some of there older posts and say hey grow up, a post that says I think my friend can fly, is by no means threatening to me being here, regardless of posts.

I'v been here awhile and the ones that post for numbers, well look at the posts and then decide. would you like to have a 3000 post count that say you believe in purple Unicorns,or that you can control weather? not me I'm happy posting when relevant and even so you get shoot at a few times but by now I know most people here,and can really appreciate what the die hard U.M. folk's post. I like it and I'm going for the big 3oo th post. How long have i been here anyway blink.gif

Its all just a number. The number doesn't mean how intelligent you are, nor does it make you any better than average person that comes in with one post.

Posting worth-while posts should be a goal for everybody. Post long and serious paragraphs down to the jokes that still require thought and to know the members that on the board with you.

Does it all really matter if you have 100 posts or 10,000 posts? A person with 100 posts can post and still get the same reading time as a person with 10,000 posts in my book.

i don't like how people portray the 'other' section as being a waste of time, and posts there as somehow being worthless or at least of a lower standard than those in other areas, i for one rarely stray north of the 'news' section and have had many inciteful and learned debates with people on many varied subjects

i don't like how people portray the 'other' section as being a waste of time, and posts there as somehow being worthless or at least of a lower standard than those in other areas, i for one rarely stray north of the 'news' section and have had many inciteful and learned debates with people on many varied subjects

I have never heard anyone say that the other section was a waste of time. Maybe they have though, care to quote?

He means that some people post a lot in the jokes section, and some people don't like that. One example, correct me if I'm wrong, was between Walken and Kratos?

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it strange that most people below member no. 10000 (excluding BurnSide, Seraphina, etc...) have less than 1000 posts? tongue.gif

n00bs love to forum whore!

My posts are always great. My mum said.

(Example of unecessary post. She did though).

Edited by Mr Ed