Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

S Korea cloning research was FAKE

__Kratos__

Research into cloning embryonic human stem cells - hailed as a breakthrough earlier this year - was fabricated, South Korean investigators have said.

Cloning expert Hwang Woo-suk had faced criticism of his research, but maintained he would vindicated.

However Seoul National University panel said it was "intentionally fabricated", and Dr Hwang would be disciplined.

His other cloning research on dogs and humans will also be investigated, the panel said.

The controversy has been causing shockwaves in South Korea, where the cloning pioneer is widely considered a national hero.

Since 2002, he has received $40m in grants from the science and technology ministry alone.

Only two sets

In May, Dr Hwang published a paper in the journal Science, saying his team had identically matched the DNA of 11 patients with material cloned from human embryos.

It was claimed the technique could one day provide cures for a range of diseases including diabetes and Parkinson's.

But the university panel said that all 11 sets of data were derived from only two stem cell lines.

The experts said that Dr Hwang divided a patient's cells into two test tubes for analysis, instead of matching cloned cells to the patient's original cells.

"Based on these findings, data in the 2005 Science journal cannot be regarded as a simple accidental error but as intentional fabrication made out of two stem cells," the investigators said.

"Professor Hwang admitted to having played a role in extending the data of the two stem cell lines to those of 11 stem cells," said Roh Jung-hye, the university's dean of research affairs, told a news conference.

Dr Hwang came under pressure when one of the co-authors of his paper, Roh Sung-il, said that the pictures illustrating it, apparently showing the 11 patient-specific stem cell lines, had been faked.

Last week, Dr Hwang admitted the photographs did contain "mistakes", but insisted the research was accurate and that he had cloned 11 stem cell lines.

The panel did not rule on the accuracy of the research on the two stem cells lines which had been produced by Dr Hwang's team.

Source

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is just so wrong. :angry2:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PadawanOsswe

• coldwhitelight

• __Kratos__

• Frosty03

Researcher quits over 'fabricated' stem cell work

Source

Such a load, he should be punished further for this. Even tried for fraud because of the amount of grants that could have been possibly given. <_<

Man the christian, right wing, anti-stem cell research, and anti-cloning research will have a field day when they hear about this.

Edited by Super Pancake

while I dont agree with the research, to fake a claim is wrong.

but to play around with dead babies is equally wrong, in my opinion.

Not nesecarily...it can be obtain from other sources, like the embrionic cord that is discarted after the baby is born. But dead fetuses are the best source.

Well the women would donate an egg, the genetic material from a patient would then be put into the egg and the stem cells will divide, matching the patient that the genetic material came from. The fertilization of the egg and the rest of it is done in-vitro. These embryos don't really have the same status of a fetus.

I wouldn't exactly say that this guy was messing with babies... more like a blob of cells.

but if you think this is a baby (below) then give it a name

user posted image

Still sad that he lied :no:

Edited by whoa182

There's nothing wrong with playing with the dead for research that can help Earth. If Leonardo De Vinchi hadn't mapped the human anatomy from dead bodies, we could have less medical research. Some of you could be dead right now.

• 2 weeks later...
Research into cloning embryonic human stem cells - hailed as a breakthrough earlier this year - was fabricated, South Korean investigators have said.

Cloning expert Hwang Woo-suk had faced criticism of his research, but maintained he would vindicated.

However Seoul National University panel said it was "intentionally fabricated", and Dr Hwang would be disciplined.

His other cloning research on dogs and humans will also be investigated, the panel said.

The controversy has been causing shockwaves in South Korea

Dr Hwang should be punished for his fabrication of embryonic stem cells research, misleading the people and scientific community. treatments that could have from stem cells research have been set back years. Potential treatments from the science could produce cures for people who are suffering from ailments, such as cancer and spinal cord injury.

Anyone ever think that maybe Hwang Woo-suk stumbled across something he wasn't suppose to? Maybe he made a certain discovery which scared south korean's and our goverment into taking action on Hwang. I'm sorry though i know it is very well possible i do not believe somone one would fake that much data without something to gain from it. It is plain dumb, this scientist couldn't possibly be shallow enough to think that faked data would actually not have to be proved eventually. Remember people goverments play extreme roles in our recent discoveries on how they are released if released to our people... just imagine what they can do if they don't like the discovery kinda like how they despise stem cell research in the first place.

Maybe someone P*** him off and now he doesn't want to share his research :P

Conspiracies

There's nothing wrong with playing with the dead for research that can help Earth. If Leonardo De Vinchi hadn't mapped the human anatomy from dead bodies, we could have less medical research. Some of you could be dead right now.

but dead babies?

Such a load, he should be punished further for this. Even tried for fraud because of the amount of grants that could have been possibly given. <_<

Also, Dr. Hwang Woo-suk should be punished for his fabrication of embryonic stem cells research, misleading the people and scientific community. Because of Dr Woo-suk actions, potential medical treatments that could have come from the science have been set back years.

Anyone ever think that maybe Hwang Woo-suk stumbled across something he wasn't suppose to? Maybe he made a certain discovery which scared south korean's and our goverment into taking action on Hwang.

Your post is moronic. Everyone knows the high profile moral and ethical debate over embryonic stem cells research. Scientists who contribute to the research know full well of their actions and how it would effect them, their scientific field and their respective countries. If a scientist or a team of scientists were to be found fraudulent of a controversial science it would mean loss of Individual credibility and national pride.

I'm sorry though i know it is very well possible i do not believe somone one would fake that much data without something to gain from it. It is plain dumb, this scientist couldn't possibly be shallow enough to think that faked data would actually not have to be proved eventually.

Dr Hwang Woo-suk fabricated the data on stem cells research to gain fame, notoriety and to retain his position at Seoul National University, he would have been known as one of the greatest scientist in history. When investigators found Dr Woo-suk failed on his Scientific claims, he became a disgrace in South Korea and the scientific community.

Remember people goverments play extreme roles in our recent discoveries on how they are released if released to our people... just imagine what they can do if they don't like the discovery kinda like how they despise stem cell research in the first place.

Much of the opposition to embryonic stem cell research comes from religious groups, which have little to no influence on the South Korean government.

Edited by coldwhitelight

I wouldn't exactly say that this guy was messing with babies... more like a blob of cells.

but if you think this is a baby (below) then give it a name

user posted image

well this "blob of cells" is a Human in the earliest stages of development. it could have grown up to be a doctor, a writer, a great leader. sad that it had to be killed.

well this "blob of cells" is a Human in the earliest stages of development. it could have grown up to be a doctor, a writer, a great leader. sad that it had to be killed.

Your right it COULD have, but then again chances are he could have been a serial killer, child molestor, etc. Whats really sad is that this guy lied about his research and gave false hope to a lot of people out in the world.

Your post is moronic. Everyone knows the high profile moral and ethical debate over embryonic stem cells research. Scientists who contribute to the research know full well of their actions and how it would effect them, their scientific field and their respective countries. If a scientist or a team of scientists were to be found fraudulent of a controversial science it would mean loss of Individual credibility and national pride.

Since when has thinking out side of the box moronic? I think it is silly when someone all and knowing such as yourself comes and bashes other people's thoughts and ideas. I bet your voted for bush didn't you? Explains enough...... now that comment maybe moronic. :lol:

Your right it COULD have, but then again chances are he could have been a serial killer, child molestor, etc. Whats really sad is that this guy lied about his research and gave false hope to a lot of people out in the world.

but thats not the point, they deprived this child of life. thats the real sad thing. those who have lived depriving others of life because they need to be able to cure everything. <_<

but thats not the point, they deprived this child of life. thats the real sad thing. those who have lived depriving others of life because they need to be able to cure everything. <_<

Sacrifice the few to save the many... kind of logic?

In it all... they're not humans, they're not living either in the sense a baby really is.

if an adult wants to sacrifice themselves to save the many. fine with me. but NEVER a child. the "blob of cells" is still a living organism, a Human in the earliest form.

ever heard a pregnant woman call her child a blob of cells or a fetus?

Since when has thinking out side of the box moronic? I think it is silly when someone all and knowing such as yourself comes and bashes other people's thoughts and ideas. I bet your voted for bush didn't you? Explains enough...... now that comment maybe moronic. :lol:

Spare me your foolish propaganda and save your drama for some who cares.

Do you have any argument to add to your moronic claims besides foolish ranting?

Dr. Hwang Woo-suk is a fraud, who should be punished for his fabrication of embryonic stem cells research, misleading the people, scientific community and giving false hope to people suffering from incurable ailments. Because of Dr. Woo-suk actions, potential medical treatments that could have come from the science, such as cancer and spinal cord injury have been set back years.

Spare me your foolish propaganda and save your drama for some who cares.

Do you have any argument to add to your moronic claims besides foolish ranting?

Dr. Hwang Woo-suk is a fraud, who should be punished for his fabrication of embryonic stem cells research, misleading the people, scientific community and giving false hope to people suffering from incurable ailments. Because of Dr. Woo-suk actions, potential medical treatments that could have come from the science, such as cancer and spinal cord injury have been set back years.

Eah little dude no one is ranting on the board except maybe you.... all i was doing was throwing in my suggestion about the matter. I have not excluded you claim not once, so as i said if someone on here is ranting it would be you for trying to force you opinion on others.... moron. :yes:

Eah little dude no one is ranting on the board except maybe you.... all i was doing was throwing in my suggestion about the matter. I have not excluded you claim not once, so as i said if someone on here is ranting it would be you for trying to force you opinion on others.... moron. :yes:

You haven’t posted anything to support your claims, intend you have twisting members words around, posted foolish rants and propaganda. This is a discussion, which you added nothing to.

Once again, do you have any argument or sources to support your claims on Dr. Hwang Woo-suk.

I await you next post.

Edited by coldwhitelight