Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are alien probes scouring the galaxy ?

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#31    Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

• "The clever men at Oxford
    Know all that there is to be knowed.
    But they none of them know one half as much
    As intelligent Mr. Toad!"

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 17 July 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

If I was in charge of such a search, I'd not be sending information back to the parent star, but back to the colony ships that would be behind the robot explorers. The robots would find where the colonists could set up, or might even start terraforming (using micro-organisms) before the colonists arrive.

One of the human race's enduring questions pertains to how life began on this planet.   Has DieChecker found the answer (this is asked very tongue in cheek :))? Are we, and all of nature, the result of some interplanetary probe's deposits 3.5 billion years ago ?  

At that time, the Earth's atmosphere was a primarily methane and ammonia concoction, and biologists propose that life began with organisms such as cyanobacteria which created oxygen through anaerobic respiration. Should this prove to be the case, we wouldn't have to look far to try and replicate the process. Titan has an atmosphere very similar to Earth's from that era, and although we'd be cutting it a little fine with a 3.5 billion year experiment it would be fun to try. Anyone got a probe and some cyanobacteria ?

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

#32    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

It's not hard to envision dozens of ways life could have originated on its own on the earth -- the mystery here is more how it happened than that it happened -- so while the various panspermia proposals are possible they are not necessary.

#33    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:17 AM

I bet there are alien probes on the earth some where

#34    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

View Postcoolguy, on 17 July 2013 - 04:17 AM, said:

If the stories are true, you would want to be pretty darn keen to retrieve them.

Posted Image

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#35    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,493 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 17 July 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

Why would it account for the no contact? Or proof?
because, and i have said this hundreds of times, if they were carrying out pure scientific research, they wouldn't interfere with what they're researching, since that would inevitably skew the results. Plus, if they were automated, artficially intellgent probes, they wouldn't be particularly interested in saying Howdy to any one particular lifeform, would they? As far as proof, then according to many there have been the odd probe that has come down from time time, hasn't there .... :innocent:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#36    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 17 July 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

because, and i have said this hundreds of times, if they were carrying out pure scientific research, they wouldn't interfere with what they're researching, since that would inevitably skew the results. Plus, if they were automated, artficially intellgent probes, they wouldn't be particularly interested in saying Howdy to any one particular lifeform, would they? As far as proof, then according to many there have been the odd probe that has come down from time time, hasn't there .... :innocent:

Sorry, you have said that before, and I understand that, I am more asking along the lines of stealth, if they are discovering new forms of life, how do they know what to hide from, and why bother anyway, and with space bound probes, should we not see one from time to time if they are in the vicinity and seen as often as proponents would have one believe? It seems a good idea if following this protocol to perhaps "swarm" one system at a time.
I do not think any incident other than Kecksburg and maybe Shag Harbour still claims an unmanned crash site, I could be wrong there, but the norm is that occupants are reported.
They might be interested in saying howdy do, as per the robots in "Alien Planet" but I guess that is beside the point and it could be one or the other.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#37    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,493 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 17 July 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

Sorry, you have said that before, and I understand that, I am more asking along the lines of stealth, if they are discovering new forms of life, how do they know what to hide from, and why bother anyway, and with space bound probes, should we not see one from time to time if they are in the vicinity and seen as often as proponents would have one believe? It seems a good idea if following this protocol to perhaps "swarm" one system at a time.
I do not think any incident other than Kecksburg and maybe Shag Harbour still claims an unmanned crash site, I could be wrong there, but the norm is that occupants are reported.
They might be interested in saying howdy do, as per the robots in "Alien Planet" but I guess that is beside the point and it could be one or the other.
they might not want to hide, or want to do anything by stealth, just that they mightn't be any more interested in contacting "intelligent" life than they might be about analysing chemical composition of rocks or soil or the atmopshere. It'd all be part of the whole scheme of study, but to an artifical intelligence life, even Intelligent life, might not be of any particular interest.
And don't you think this might account for a whole lot of UFO sightings, and their apparently irrational behaviour? Why they don't say Howdy? Why they might (for instance) show a particular interest in oceans, or even dive into the ocean (if they can cope with re-entry and so on, they'd probably have no difficulty underwater). Regarding all these claimed crashes and all the colourful details that are accumulated subsequently, I reckon they were just added to provide colour. Like the well known incident in New Mexico. Aliens only appeared there many years after the event.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#38    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

I guess there would be four things aliens would do, assuming they aren't so alien we can't guess.  They would preach, they would explore, they would colonize, and they would conquer.

I don't think much can be learned comparing our global history.  For one thing, the stars are so far apart that while colonization can be imagined, holding an empire together just does not seem even reasonably possible, so I am unconcerned about conquest (except maybe local gun lords).  We are not going to be edible -- forget that one -- our chemistry will be too different.

If they are a race of monks, they will try to win us over by setting up monasteries and winning us over by their shining example of compassion and good works.  Other kinds of religion do the conversion work by other less pleasant means.

I doubt it, but it is barely conceivable that they would be so altruistic that they would discern the presence of nascent life on our planet and so leave us alone, not wanting to interfere with out natural development.

The thing is, there isn't going to be just one of them out there -- there are going to be thousands if not millions of them -- and they are going to each be different.  Where are they?  Something just doesn't add up.

#39    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,649 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

View Postcoolguy, on 17 July 2013 - 04:17 AM, said:

We know what aliens do with their probes.

#40    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,493 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 July 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

I guess there would be four things aliens would do, assuming they aren't so alien we can't guess.  They would preach, they would explore, they would colonize, and they would conquer.

I don't think much can be learned comparing our global history.  For one thing, the stars are so far apart that while colonization can be imagined, holding an empire together just does not seem even reasonably possible, so I am unconcerned about conquest (except maybe local gun lords).  We are not going to be edible -- forget that one -- our chemistry will be too different.

If they are a race of monks, they will try to win us over by setting up monasteries and winning us over by their shining example of compassion and good works.  Other kinds of religion do the conversion work by other less pleasant means.

I doubt it, but it is barely conceivable that they would be so altruistic that they would discern the presence of nascent life on our planet and so leave us alone, not wanting to interfere with out natural development.

The thing is, there isn't going to be just one of them out there -- there are going to be thousands if not millions of them -- and they are going to each be different.  Where are they?  Something just doesn't add up.
how many UFo sightings are there on this one planet a year?  I think this, if there was anything to it at all, could well account for quite a few of those that can't be more easily explained such as drug-fuelled hallucinations and Lighthouses, etc.
i really dont' see why scientific research programs- and we're talking about intelligent robotic probes, don't forget, so there wouldn't be a council of some superior ET race directing them - would consider it to be part of their terms of reference that they would take it upon themselves to intervene in the development of particular races. That'd be a very unscientific lack of objectivity.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#41    Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

• "The clever men at Oxford
    Know all that there is to be knowed.
    But they none of them know one half as much
    As intelligent Mr. Toad!"

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

If the probes can be self-replicating then there is no reason to believe that if they are controlled from within then perhaps automated androids in them could not be self-replicating the same way  (if we're still trying to stay away from the actual possibility that UFO's could be manned........ lol).....

(oh, and probes and spacecraft could both come from a very long-haul mothership - no need to travel hundreds of light years by conventionally-understood means to reach us in a small craft.......... just saying :whistle: )

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

#42    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 17 July 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

how many UFo sightings are there on this one planet a year?  I think this, if there was anything to it at all, could well account for quite a few of those that can't be more easily explained such as drug-fuelled hallucinations and Lighthouses, etc.
i really dont' see why scientific research programs- and we're talking about intelligent robotic probes, don't forget, so there wouldn't be a council of some superior ET race directing them - would consider it to be part of their terms of reference that they would take it upon themselves to intervene in the development of particular races. That'd be a very unscientific lack of objectivity.
I don't see where that has anything to do with what I said.  There is scientific speculation on the subject and there are nutcases.  Keep them apart.

#43    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,493 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 July 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

I don't see where that has anything to do with what I said. There is scientific speculation on the subject and there are nutcases. Keep them apart.
How do you mean, nutcases? All UFO Sightings are the work of nutcases, is that what you're saying?

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#44    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,106 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 17 July 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

How do you mean, nutcases? All UFO Sightings are the work of nutcases, is that what you're saying?

That would mean I'm a nutcase. More than once.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#45    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,693 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

I have to admit "I am a AAAAB "  Thats a Absolute Alien American Affirmant Believer" as for the probes They just need to keep them away from me and I`ll be just fine !
As for the Skeptice and Non-Believers we all need a place in line some where ! You guys can stand at the rear of this one !
E.T. is way tooo Cool and a smooth operator to ever get caught on this rock snoopin around. I bet they Zip around just laughing at us ?
But keep Looking Up ! Or you will never see them ! :tu: :alien:

This is a Work in Progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users