Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Utah rescuers can't explain voice

BiffSplitkins

Four Utah rescuers swear they heard a voice calling for help from an overturned vehicle in an icy river.

After they flipped the vehicle, which was on its hood in the Spanish Fork River, they discovered inside only a deceased woman and her unconscious 18-month-old girl, who had hung upside down for about 14 hours.

"We're not exactly sure where that voice came from," Spanish Fork Officer Jared Warner told the Deseret News.

The infant, Lily Groesbeck, survived as the water flowing through the car never touched her as she hung by straps in her car seat, police said.

READ MORE

Wow, so sad. :cry:

• Like 6

I was just looking at this on another news site and thinking how lucky that wee girl was, but then it said her mom didn't survive....So tragic that one of them did while the other didn't.

• Like 4

When I first read it I thought of the Kevin Costner movie 'Dragonfly' right away.

• Like 4

Wow that's so sad :( I would like to believe the mother stayed until her baby was found. Amazing that the officers actually responded to the adult female voice! Many heard it.

When I first read it I thought of the Kevin Costner movie 'Dragonfly' right away.

Was thinking that too just now! Crazy stuff!

• Like 3

Wow, so sad. :cry:[/size][/font][/color]

yeah it is, so sad. And in another way it's something more too-something to hold onto and remember . I believe the rescuers heard a voice just as they said they did.

• Like 2

I read this story yesterday, and yeah, feel sad about the mother, and that that poor girl during those long hours. How afraid she must have been. So glad she's going to be alright.

The thing, the links to the story I had, never said anything about a voice being heard, just that the car was discovered by a fisherman, or was it farmer? Anyways, to me, the voice crying 'help me' is new. I'm not saying that it didn't occur, just that not all news sources don't have that part of the story. I wonder if maybe it was the baby's crying being misconstrued? *shrugs*

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/utah-baby-found-alive-12-hours-car-crash-river/

• Like 1

I read this story yesterday, and yeah, feel sad about the mother, and that that poor girl during those long hours. How afraid she must have been. So glad she's going to be alright.

The thing, the links to the story I had, never said anything about a voice being heard, just that the car was discovered by a fisherman, or was it farmer? Anyways, to me, the voice crying 'help me' is new. I'm not saying that it didn't occur, just that not all news sources don't have that part of the story. I wonder if maybe it was the baby's crying being misconstrued? *shrugs*

http://www.cbsnews.c...ar-crash-river/

Terrible story, but I'm glad the child was rescued.

I would agree that the "voice" is something that is being remembered by the rescuers and now that they've had a chance to talk about it, they are all in agreement. IN fact, they pretty much say this in the OP's link:

"We've gotten together and just talkin' about it, and all four of us can swear that we heard somebody inside the car saying, 'Help,'" officer Jared Warner recalled Sunday."

This is exactly how the human brain works and why things like eyewitness testimony is so unreliable. One guy says, "you know, I really heard a voice". Then the other says, "yeah, you know, you're right. I did too". Next thing you know, they are convinced and will swear on a pile of bibles that they heard a voice.

• Like 3

I wonder if the voice was actually the mothers last cry for help before dying or was she submerged the whole time. I don't know. Very sad, whatever the case. I hope the baby isn't scarred because of the trauma. What a nightmare.

• Like 2

Here's another article from a different source with more information on this topic I just came upon...

"To me it was plain as day because I remember hearing a voice," Officer Tyler Beddoes said, according to RawStory.com. "I think it was [Officer Bryan] DeWitt who said, ‘We’re trying. We’re trying our best to get in there.’ How do you explain that? I don’t know."

http://www.opposingv...-river-14-hours

Poor baby Lily :( This has really become a buzzing topic!

Edited by She-ra
  • Like 1

http://www.cbsnews.c...ar-crash-river/

I saw all the officers on the news last night and what they said was that they all heard the voice. The reason they remembered it was because they saw that the mother was dead and did not see the baby. Once they heard the voice, they knew they had to turn the car over as soon as possible.

So, it was the voice that got them to do what they had to do as quickly as possible.

• Like 2

I saw all the officers on the news last night and what they said was that they all heard the voice. The reason they remembered it was because they saw that the mother was dead and did not see the baby. Once they heard the voice, they knew they had to turn the car over as soon as possible.

So, it was the voice that got them to do what they had to do as quickly as possible.

Wouldn't turning the car over be standard procedure anyway? As would thoroughly checking the vehicle to see if there were other occupants?

Rumor has it the voice was none other than the obscure superhero, The Ventriloquist.

• Like 1

Wow, so sad. :cry:[/size][/font][/color]

So they don't know if the Mother was submerge in water when they turned the car over, it could have been her last dying plea, how sad:)

An infant was saved, by an Angels voice in Utah where the mother flipped her car into a river. The report says the mother died at 10:30 pm and the wreck was discovered at 12:30 pm the next day. When police officers approached the wreck they heard a woman calling for help from the car, three officers heard her, and one officer even answered her. But when they flipped the car back over, they discovered the mother was dead, and the only other person in the car was her 18 month old infant, the baby is still alive, officers said what they heard was an adults voice.

Thanks Tiggs, if there was one more miracle Utah baby thread....

I might go ballistic.

• Like 1

Monstar...baby is 18 months old and one story had it unconscious. Shirley you jest!

Watching the interview, they were asked did they think the mother may have been still alive but they never gave a direct answer so i'm assuming they weren't sure. The probability is it was the woman giving her last cry for help before dying. It's more likely than a ghost IMO.

Edited by micky 32
  • Like 1

My theory is that the mother's ghost had called out for help. Similar cases happen all over the world, and it certainly unexplained.

Edited by Lesionia
  • Like 2

Yes!! Me too!

I wonder if the voice was actually the mothers last cry for help before dying or was she submerged the whole time. I don't know. Very sad, whatever the case. I hope the baby isn't scarred because of the trauma. What a nightmare.

No, the mother had been submerged in the water and was dead for hours, they couldn't have been hearing her.

• Like 4