Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"The Land of Tears"

Minds_Eye

I'm inclined to only draw or write when I feel sad or emotionally stressed. My preferred style is simplistic and minimal because 1) I'm lazy and 2) my technical skills are really rudimentary when compared to the professionals. I see my art as reflecting my own inner turmoil, but I'm also curious as to how other eyes (and minds) would interpret it. How would this picture 'speak' to you, if anything?

post-150896-0-50619100-1415498394_thumb.

• Like 7

Lack of comfort. Retreating inward.

• Like 1

An inner buoyancy. The rainware is yellow, the umbrella red. Very happy colours.

The watercolour mix is very blue and grey. My initial response would be 'melancholy'.

Edit: Oh, her paper boat tipped over! I missed that detail. Perhaps if it stayed upright she might have been ecstatic.

Don't stop doing what you're doing. I think that you have great promise as a children's book artist.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3

I like your profile picture did you also do that. Let me guess, you called that one ' The land of boulders'?

• Like 1

Lonely and pensive. Nice little drawing btw :)

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for all your feedback and understanding! Art is personal, and it feels so much more meaningful when other people are also able to respond to it in some way. :)

JVG: At first I wanted to slap my forehead in a Homer Simpson moment and go "D'oh!", but on the other hand, I'm glad you were able to help validate my knack for visually depicting gloomy and sad little girls! ;)

SolarPlexus and StillWaters: Both on-the-mark, succinctly emotional descriptives, thank you!

taniwha: <grins> Thanks for the compliment, and I might actually consider your proposed title for my profile pic, hahaha! :P

LikelyGuy: I'm impressed with your observations! You're right that there's a layered significance to the picture's colors and composition, especially the paper boat that just barely made it to shore (or is it starting to sink into the water unable to even set sail?). Thanks also for your supportive words regarding my artistic ability.

• Like 4

The "Land of Tears" will now be my Artsy Sad Zone where I'll be posting some of my melancholy works (I'm giving fair warning to any pro-Happy people!), but I'm late for work so the next one will have to wait until I'm back, sorries!

• Like 3

I painted this after someone I really wanted and needed to believe in failed me when I needed him the most. My head and gut said, 'I told you so', but my heart was crushed. I couldn't respect or trust him anymore. So I stopped believing in him and started questioning myself about what it means to be 'real'. For whatever reason, I then found an answer in the story of The Velveteen Rabbit. To be real is to hurt.

I cried myself to sleep that night... :(

post-150896-0-31463000-1415576112_thumb.

• Like 3

Very nice structure and simplicity of colour.

Your description helps fill in the details as far as where the inspiration came from, but it works well on it's own.

Good job! :)

• Like 2

Very touching, betrayal is terrible especially in one you believed in. It sounds like you are a very caring person.

• Like 2

Disappointment.

On a sidenote you could try illustrating children books :D

• Like 1

Disappointment.

On a sidenote you could try illustrating children books :D

I do find myself frequently straying into the children's section at the bookstore. It's the emotional and personal connection to a story that helps me create the imagery, otherwise, I can't draw a stick figure to save my life. :P

• Like 1

Ever feel like you're sitting on the edge of a thinning precipice, and yet, you're still unsure whether it's worth reaching for the key that could bring you back to solid ground?

post-150896-0-62650200-1415668601_thumb.

• Like 1

Wow! That's the happiest kite that I've every come across.

The other two characters I don't even know how to describe them except that they're open to all emotions. Which makes them precious.

Seriously, Minds_Eye, I don't know what you currently do for a living but you should submit a portfolio. Who knows what you do, you could be a CEO for a major bank. But I think, maybe, is that you'd rather create these than what you're currently doing for a living.

• Like 3

Keep in mind that I spent 20 years as a graphic artist/ sign painter/ commercial photographer, and they beat the fun out of it for me. Now, I rarely draw. :(

Creating on demand for a pay check is entirely different. Whatever else, I do hope that you enjoy creating what you do, because I certainly do enjoy what you create as well. :)

Last note for your last three 'shares'... they have an indescribable innate innocence to them.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

Wow! That's the happiest kite that I've every come across.

The other two characters I don't even know how to describe them except that they're open to all emotions. Which makes them precious.

Seriously, Minds_Eye, I don't know what you currently do for a living but you should submit a portfolio. Who knows what you do, you could be a CEO for a major bank. But I think, maybe, is that you'd rather create these than what you're currently doing for a living.

Career-wise, I literally and figuratively analyze things invisible to the naked eye. I don't dislike my job, but I don't love it with a passion either. It pays the bills, and I'm relatively proficient at it. You're right that I would prefer a more artsy livelihood, but creating my illustrations doesn't come easy for me as it is. They're all just 8"x10" or smaller-sized pictures, and it just doesn't happen much unless I'm extremely stressed or inspired. I can totally relate to what you mean about losing the desire to draw once your art becomes too much like work. I so envy those people who love what they do and can still earn a decent income off it.

• Like 2

Fear and Uncertainty: When both sides are waiting for the other to reach out first, nobody connects and nothing happens. It takes a courageous heart to be the one to risk opening the window, especially when the hurt still lingers and is staring back at you.

post-150896-0-21324400-1415744533_thumb.

• Like 2

Very sweet. I don't have a favourite so far, they're all equally enjoyable, each in their own rite.

Was this one in pastels?

The "Friend Owl" picture was done with colored pencil. I choose certain media (or rather, the media chooses itself) depending on the subject matter.

• Like 1

There are days when I feel like my life is still waiting for the punchline...

post-150896-0-68680300-1415926014_thumb.

• Like 2