Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beer to become 'alcohol' in Russia

Still Waters

Many Russians consider beer a soft drink – a light refresher that can be guzzled on the way to work or sucked down in great quantities before a picnic and a swim in the river.

Hard drinkers sniff at its weakness, as the saying goes: "Beer without vodka is like throwing money to the wind."

But a hung-over nation will wake up to a new and troubling reality on New Year's Day when beer in Russia becomes classified as an alcoholic drink for the very first time.

http://www.telegraph...-Years-Day.html

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen of Annoy

• Tutankhaten-pasheri

• Still Waters

• synchronomy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard Russia leads the way worldwide as far as alcoholism.

Amazing that beer was never considered "alcohol".

Partially because of climate, then because of tradition linked to that climate... it’s not just an excuse, they’ve brought hypothermic elephants back to life with vodka. I kid you not:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20726939

We can argue if it’s scientifically blessed or not, but elephants can testify wisely used alcohol can help against cold. Of course, if you get drunk and pass out in cold, it helps you freeze by expanding your blood vessels so you lose your body heat faster... and so on.

If they just considered it a soft drink I guess even kids were drinking it.

There is no law forbidding children from drinking alcohol. This is similar to many countries, and after all, it would make criminals those families that have wine with meals. However, it is crininal offense to sell alcohol to people under 18 years. This new law will only cause a problem for the many kiosks that sell beer. Until 31 December they did not need aclohol license to sell beer, from 1 January they will need license. Anyway, kvass is national drink more than vodka, and kvass is extremely weak and has never been seen as a problem for children to drink. The "problems" are with growing worldwide epidemic of new puritanism and state control over private lives.

There is no law forbidding children from drinking alcohol. This is similar to many countries, and after all, it would make criminals those families that have wine with meals. However, it is crininal offense to sell alcohol to people under 18 years. This new law will only cause a problem for the many kiosks that sell beer. Until 31 December they did not need aclohol license to sell beer, from 1 January they will need license. Anyway, kvass is national drink more than vodka, and kvass is extremely weak and has never been seen as a problem for children to drink. The "problems" are with growing worldwide epidemic of new puritanism and state control over private lives.

You mean it’s weaker than average European beer (5%)?

There are non-alcoholic beers on the market which still contain some alcohol, so I was wondering if kvass is more like them or more like real beer?

You mean it’s weaker than average European beer (5%)?

There are non-alcoholic beers on the market which still contain some alcohol, so I was wondering if kvass is more like them or more like real beer?

Kvass is made from rye bread and 2% alcohol or less. This new law is, IMO, a circumstance of collapse of USSR. Before then there was only kvass and some other very weak beer and this was never a problem. Since 1991 the much stronger western beers have gradually become more popular. It is these imported beers that have avoided the alcohol regulations, perhaps because they are called beer, when in Russia beer is seen as week, but western beers are sometimes more like spirits.

Kvass is made from rye bread and 2% alcohol or less. This new law is, IMO, a circumstance of collapse of USSR. Before then there was only kvass and some other very weak beer and this was never a problem. Since 1991 the much stronger western beers have gradually become more popular. It is these imported beers that have avoided the alcohol regulations, perhaps because they are called beer, when in Russia beer is seen as week, but western beers are sometimes more like spirits.

Aha.

Too bad they didn’t recognize kvass as separate kind of drink, it really is not the same as beer.

Besides, prohibitions never curb consumption, only move the market underground. Not that categorizing kvass as alcohol is prohibition, but I guess now teens will have to ask local drunks to buy kvass for them, kiosk owners will have double racket to pay, then alcohol has higher taxes I guess so the price will go up...

Start brewing your own. While that’s still legal.

(I’m thinking of EU scare in my place, when someone told people they won’t be allowed to produce their own wine and brandy once we’re in :lol: Euro-scepticism skyrocketed :lol: Then they explained no, you only can’t sell stuff you made with no proper licenses, control etc and the Earth kept revolving.)

They consider beer soft drinks.. well, at least I wasn't alone in that thought. :w00t:

Well, I suggest you get a few bottles of 'Sink The Bismark' IPA, or Brodies English Strong Ale under your belt before making statements of that kind!

But if you're talking about what passes for beer in the US, then I tend to agree with you! s12621.gif

Huh. Great story and comments. I never knew most of what's been said.

I'm a little confused though, maybe someone here can clarify...

Is it legal for Russian minors to buy beer, be it the 2% Kvass or the "less than 10% cut-off" ?

Huh. Great story and comments. I never knew most of what's been said.

I'm a little confused though, maybe someone here can clarify...

Is it legal for Russian minors to buy beer, be it the 2% Kvass or the "less than 10% cut-off" ?

Kvas and similar drinks are classed as food, not alcohol, so children can still buy, but they cannot buy a can of Warsteiner or Stella Artois etc.