Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Sharia police' patrols in Wuppertal/Germany

toast

A group of radical young Islamists has recently caused concern on the streets of a German city. The

"Sharia police" have been observed trying to deter young Muslims from doing things like drinking or

gambling. Police in Wuppertal are seeking ways to stop the group of men who have been seen patrolling

the area around the western city's main train station on several evenings recently. The bearded fundamentalists

have declared the sleazy nightlife area of the city of 340,000 to be a "Sharia Controlled Zone."

Full article here: http://www.dw.de/locals-concerned-as-sharia-police-patrol-streets-of-german-city/a-17904887

I know about such "patrols" in other western countries but I think this is the first time it happen in Germany.

But there might be a positive benefit in such actions. The more these lunatics are present in the public with

such moronic actions, the more the resistance to such groups, and so to islamic radicalism, will grow up even

in those parts of our society those still think (or better said, the parts that do not think at all yet) that these

groups are just a minority with no options for a significant influence and/or perceptible effects on our daily life

today, and our society and democracy in future as well.

• Like 5

The more "these lunatics" cause stuff like this, the more the rest of humanity get annoyed at all of Islam.

In effect, because of their numptism, people will get more and more narked off at Muslims and thus radicalise more of them - end result they win.

• Like 2

The more "these lunatics" cause stuff like this, the more the rest of humanity get annoyed at all of Islam.

In effect, because of their numptism, people will get more and more narked off at Muslims and thus radicalise

more of them - end result they win.

Yeah well said and I had something like this in my post but I deleted it. Of course, such actions do also feed the

ultra right wing parties here in Germany and elsewhere, but not in a democracy endangering volume, as well but I

think that the maximum of attention in our population hasn`t been reached yet, to be aware of the fact that such

actions may be an indicator therefore that bad seeds have been set already and that we have to be more advertent

in general about a possible bad trend.

What is it that they are trying to do wrong they are just asking young people not to drink which is bad for health and gambling which is bad for pocket.

• Like 3

What is it that they are trying to do wrong they are just asking young people not to drink which is bad for health and gambling which is bad for pocket.

Today they ASK. Tomorrow, when the % of Muslim population gets around 8% or so they begin to DEMAND. It's called freedom, Kartikg. Freedom to be an ass if one likes - so long as they don't actually HARM their neighbor. Freedom is messy and can even be vile depending on the individual. But it is still the single most important thing mankind has ever nurtured. As for these brown yellow shirts, if they tried such a thing in my part of the world they'd be laughed at and ridiculed. If they pushed it they'd be severely beaten. We still take our freedom pretty seriously in Alabama. Detroit Michigan is a different matter or so I hear.
  • Like 8

@and then I agree about" then they demand part." But as far as freedom is concerned, I am certain that they too have freedom to bring their brothers on the right track and for them that freedom is given to them by god himself. Are you ok with them just telling their fellow Muslim young folks not to drink and gamble or are you totally against it?

• Like 1

@and then I agree about" then they demand part." But as far as freedom is concerned, I am certain that they too have freedom to bring their brothers on the right track and for them that freedom is given to them by god himself. Are you ok with them just telling their fellow Muslim young folks not to drink and gamble or are you totally against it?

Of course I see no problem with spreading a message of piety among youth - in fact it is to be lauded. But to wear such clothing and to make a point of doing such things on public streets tell me that a level of intimidation is included here. Why not just include such promptings in the Mosque on Friday? It isn't the message so much as the medium that offends me.
  • Like 6

I have 357 reasons for them not to patrol my streets, if you get what I mean.

• Like 3

Well for one, it's dangerously close to vigilantism, which is illegal.

• Like 5

What is good or bad is up to the performing party as long as no other party is affected. Personal freedom has been a higher value in all developed societies than religion, including in Islamic societies like the Abbasid caliphate... they were leading the world in arts and sciences at the time because they were tolerant. With the end of tolerance and personal freedom comes also the end of scientific and philosophical progress, which is why Islamic countries have been trailing the West for at least a millenium.

Running around controlling if women are dressed in potato sacks and men are wearing beards is generally the end of tolerance. And the end of science and the end of liberal arts.

• Like 6

The beginning of the end,next step the EEC will integrate Sharia law into European Law and no doubt public stonings In Brussels.

Edited by shaddow134

The beginning of the end,next step the EEC will integrate Sharia law into European Law and no doubt public stonings In Brussels.

Only in the wet dreams of the EU detractors. The day the EU ceases to be democratic and tolerant it ceases to exist because national chauvinism will take priority over economic integration....

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 4

Sooner or later they will try to dissuade the wrong drunk. I'm predicting a beating or two in the near future.

• Like 4

Only in the wet dreams of the EU detractors. The day the EU ceases to be democratic and tolerant it ceases to exist because national chauvinism will take priority over economic integration....

Yes. Really the post you quoted was utter BS. Utter BS.

Yes. Really the post you quoted was utter BS. Utter BS.

Why?

The EU a democracy only in the wet dreams of the Federalists...

Only when the appropriate commitees have decided on the type,size,and number of stones that may be used. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I know about such "patrols" in other western countries but I think this is the first time it happen in Germany.

But there might be a positive benefit in such actions. The more these lunatics are present in the public with

such moronic actions, the more the resistance to such groups, and so to islamic radicalism, will grow up even

in those parts of our society those still think (or better said, the parts that do not think at all yet) that these

groups are just a minority with no options for a significant influence and/or perceptible effects on our daily life

today, and our society and democracy in future as well.

I can only see harm coming from the concept. If Youths are out on a weekender after a hard week at work, or some such, they are not really a problem, other than to themselves largely, and that seems to be the laws problem, but the ones who drink to escape problems and come from bad home situations tend to dive at the Radical groups. The largest number of radicalised youth comes from broken and poor homes. They seem to think they are somehow helping justice after living a life of injustice. Radical Islamists know the "type" and welcome them in, tell them what they want to hear and twist their young minds into something deeply evil. You do not generally see this in the larger more official Mosques but the smaller groups that rent places of worship and remain mobile.

• Like 4

Doesn't Germany have laws against police impersonation? In most cases even wearing clothing that might suggest you're a member of law enforcement is enough to get you brought up on charges.

• Like 5

Doesn't Germany have laws against police impersonation? In most cases even wearing clothing that might suggest you're a member of law enforcement is enough to get you brought up on charges.

Indeed, and they were, as I recall, asked(demanded) to remove their vests.

• Like 1

Sooner or later they will try to dissuade the wrong drunk. I'm predicting a beating or two in the near future.

Good point. I would dare say a similar "Christian" patrol wouldn't last long in my neighborhood. They'd be run out in short order.

Good point. I would dare say a similar "Christian" patrol wouldn't last long in my neighborhood. They'd be run out in short order.

The problem being when Christians do it, it seems to do a lot of good, I refer to Missionaries. Not the Religious stuff, but the food and blankets. If a bit of rhetoric is the price of saving a life, then so be it.

I do not even have a problem with the street preachers, if they want to do that, whatever floats their boat. It's only when you see raging mobs carrying placards that speak of beheading all those who insult Islam that one tends to gets one's back up. Happens far too often in what is supposed to be a civilised society.

• Like 3

The problem being when Christians do it, it seems to do a lot of good, I refer to Missionaries. Not the Religious stuff, but the food and blankets. If a bit of rhetoric is the price of saving a life, then so be it.

I do not even have a problem with the street preachers, if they want to do that, whatever floats their boat. It's only when you see raging mobs carrying placards that speak of beheading all those who insult Islam that one tends to gets one's back up. Happens far too often in what is supposed to be a civilised society.

Agree, if someone or some group wants to stand on a corner proclaiming hell fire and damnation, that's cool. It's always good for a laugh.

But when roving mobs do it, it's a very easy leap from preaching to head stomping.

• Like 2

which will, naturally, be called a "hate crime" and the person delivering the well deserved Glasgow Kiss will spend time doing porridge.

• Like 1