Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Easter Island archaeology project digs

Talion

"New photographs reveal what lies beneath the surface of Easter Island, one of the most remote places in the world -- the carved bodies of the island's 887 famous guardians.

Most people think of the 63-square-mile Pacific island’s silent stone sentinels as simple heads. But the heads all have bodies -- and a backstory that's only now being pieced together, explained Jo Anne Van Tilburg, director of

the Easter Island Statue Project.

post-97335-0-25420200-1337187680_thumb.j

Edited by Talion
  • Like 1

Ha, the site "the Easter Island Statue Project" is

currently unavailable

Think Fox news would check there source better for broken links.

Good find and way better pics of these statues.

It was always my hypothesis to say "Hey, why dont we see whats under the heads of these statues instead of thinking they were placed there at some point in time."

Did not read the link, but curious... Did they get buried by the natives, by erosion, or by sinking into the ground? They look pretty deep in some of the pics.

It is known about their bodies for long, Maybe they were older then tought...maybe they are not done by settlers what Europeans find there at all,

Did not read the link, but curious... Did they get buried by the natives, by erosion, or by sinking into the ground? They look pretty deep in some of the pics.

Trees were felled extensively on Easter island and I checked it out on google earth and there was soil erosion indicated so yeah erosion seems valid. A lot of Moais are just strewn about the island though on top of the ground.

ed spellng

Edited by jules99

Yup, i've read that they are buried at such depths due to run off on the sloped terrain. ..and civil strife was the cause of many of the toppled Moai . I'm still fascinated by the hand positions of the Moai. The most natural position for human hands, on human arms, is downward and slightly forward at the sides. The upheld frontal position is significant.

My prediction: At the time of the apocalypse they will come to life and destroy us all.

This is very exciting news! It's awesome that Jo Ann Van Tilburg had the curiousity to look below the surface appearance of things. Maybe after this is over she will get to work on the mysterious rongorongo script; those mysterious and since vanished 'talking boards' of Easter Island.

I don't know about the "End times" theory, but isn't it interesting how all of these things are coming to a head. From mystery behind the these heads to economic collapse. More UFO sightings than ever in history, to the convenient finding of another Mayan temple that conveniently houses a reprieve from their original calendar ending. Just sayin, it's kind of interesting.

What is next? Actual Bigfoot footage? I mean, real and clear footage.

My prediction: At the time of the apocalypse they will come to life and destroy us all.

lol! I concur with your prediction. :tu:

I don't know about the "End times" theory, but isn't it interesting how all of these things are coming to a head. From mystery behind the these heads to economic collapse. More UFO sightings than ever in history, to the convenient finding of another Mayan temple that conveniently houses a reprieve from their original calendar ending. Just sayin, it's kind of interesting.

From what i've seen Greece is the only country on the verge of collapse,Economic times are tough but collapse no.

Who says there are more UFO sightings than ever in History if indeed they are all UFO's ?

And the ending of the Mayan Calendar just means the end of one age and the start of another.

End times are the diet for the irrational.

Is this post for real?

Ha.

And this took the most intelligent beings on the planet how long to figure out? Bet moles and ants beat us.

Considering the unfinished Moai in the quarry have bodies, I don't see what all the excitement is about...

The first thing my son asked about these when I showed him some pictures and told him the tales was "Are their bodies in the ground?" (he is at infants school), I told him no because they would have checked already and found out.

After telling him most of them do am I going to have to tell him you die if you walk through their shadows?

This makes sense... but I never thought about it. Awesome!

this site just hit an all time low its such a shame we have unknowlagable people running it,all the news is old news and so little of it if anyone would like up to date stuff just type in "weird news" and such into ur browser lets all dump this site its not maintained proply all the news is ancient,maybe then we'll get there attention and possibly some more advanced employees

Edited by reggie2011

This is cool, but I agree, how come no one ever noticed this before, how hard could it be to stick a pipe in the dirt to see how far down it goes????

"New photographs reveal what lies beneath the surface of Easter Island, one of the most remote places in the world -- the carved bodies of the island's 887 famous guardians.

Most people think of the 63-square-mile Pacific island’s silent stone sentinels as simple heads. But the heads all have bodies -- and a backstory that's only now being pieced together, explained Jo Anne Van Tilburg, director of

the Easter Island Statue Project.

Edited by Freshness