Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prison, boot camp and the desire for freedom

markdohle

Prison, boot camp and the desire for freedom

Have gotten acquainted with another prisoner who wrote the Monastery looking for someone to write to, he wanted to discuss faith etc. He is in one of those privately owned facilities and has been there for 23 years. Drug related charges I believe. He did not tell me he was innocent, so I guess he knows that he belongs there.

I remember when I was in boot camp, in San Diego in 1967. I just graduated from High School and in those days, it was college or the draft. With my school record no college would accept me, and I did not want to go in any case. So I joined the Navy. Boot camp was very hard for the first two weeks. Still attached to my momma’s apron strings I guess. I do have one very clear memory. We were out on the field learning about our new life in camp, when I saw a car drive by on the freeway, top down, and some young men in it having a good old time. I felt like I was in prison there, and thought how anyone could be unhappy outside this place. Of course after a few weeks, things got easier and I even started to enjoy some of it but most of it…well no. Yet when it was over, Navy life was not too bad. It was never like boot camp!

Yet in prison I guess it is always like the first few weeks in boot camp. Things never change, each day the same and from what I am told it can get very rough. Items are stolen, fights and I guess worse things go on that are not shared with me. I know that the men in prison may deserve what they got, yet they are human, and have deep longings for freedom, love, healing and family and friends. Many are deserted by everyone. I do feel however that the Lord works in a mighty way in prison, for many seem to come to Him. I do know that some lose it when they leave, perhaps because it is not so black and white on the outside and old habits die hard. Yet many do stay on the path and stay out of prison.

I don’t judge. I try not to be naïve. I now tell them that I can’t send money orders. I sent one and it did not make it. So I order for them from the commissary, not expensive and they get little things that they need. Like soap etc.

We received a letter from a man on death row, so I have responded as well. Never did anything like this before. Have not heard back from him yet, but we will see. I do know that men (and I guess women as well) in prison are very lonely, isolated and often afraid. While it is true that they have made their bed and they have to sleep in it, yet that does not mean that we can not be compassionate towards them. For after all, we all do things, many of us have just never been caught. In any case, God is merciful to me, many times over, so how can I not at least try to be merciful to others? It is a small thing for me to do. Does not take me long to write a letter, but the connection I am forming is interesting. I have no doubt some start to write because the feel they can get money from me. They don’t write back if I don’t respond the way they want me to. Yet the majority are ‘what you see is what you get’ when they write.

No one plans on going to prison, it could happen to anyone. Again I am writing this to encourage others to write if they can to a prisoner or two. There is no need to send anything, for most just want to be seen, heard and not forgotten. We often judge harshly because we are afraid of experiencing the pain of others. When we forgo judging the worth of another human being, we begin to understand that they are brothers and sisters beloved of God, made in God’s image and likeness.

• Like 1

Letters (like this) give hope to those who have finally met themselves and observed their true lot. It offers hope.

I understand what your intention is here mark and I can also see that love is fueling the request behind your words.

The hardest kind of love is the one where we first forgive and then yearn to assist.

• Like 1

Letters (like this) give hope to those who have finally met themselves and observed their true lot. It offers hope.

I understand what your intention is here mark and I can also see that love is fueling the request behind your words.

The hardest kind of love is the one where we first forgive and then yearn to assist.

Thank you Mark, a wonderful comment.

peace

mark