Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why is the bible not to be questioned?

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#121    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 10 March 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

I have read it without the spirit a long time ago, it was uninteresting and confusing and meaningles at that time and I had no reason to persue it (this was before my conversion).
Amen.

"Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement -- even the very wise cannot see all ends." GANDALF

#122    notforgotten

notforgotten

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

• The educated lie can be the most deceiving...gullible people believe them without question.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

I've found that most of what people have experienced with the supeernatural and paranormal can be validated by the bible. It just takes some searching is all.

#123    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,294 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

View Postnotforgotten, on 11 March 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

I've found that most of what people have experienced with the supeernatural and paranormal can be validated by the bible. It just takes some searching is all.

This is my question notforgotten,  do you feel that it is necessary to validate it with the Bible? If you do feel that it is necessary why do you think that?

Edited by SpiritWriter, 11 March 2013 - 11:21 PM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#124    notforgotten

notforgotten

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

• The educated lie can be the most deceiving...gullible people believe them without question.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 11 March 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

This is my question notforgotten,  do you feel that it is necessary to validate it with the Bible? If you do feel that it is necessary why do you think that?
It's not neccessary for ourselves, but it helps to point the way to the bible, thus to our Savior and God for others. Also, it bears witness to God's truth in the bible. It's not neccessary, but even I like to see it done.

#125    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

View Postnotforgotten, on 11 March 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

I don't want to seem sarcastic, but I have to say that what enters my head reading that is that you can find what you want to find.

#126    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

If one were to take the corpus of a great and at least fairly prolific writer -- say Shakespeare or Dickens -- one could produce passages adequate to build a religion, an ethical system, a cosmology, a guide to happy and productive living, what have you.  Why not?

#127    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:56 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 March 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

If one were to take the corpus of a great and at least fairly prolific writer -- say Shakespeare or Dickens -- one could produce passages adequate to build a religion, an ethical system, a cosmology, a guide to happy and productive living, what have you.  Why not?
Hello Frank Merton,

For one thing, I value the life hereafter above all, and the story of Jesus Christ (the Holy Trinity) rings true to my core being. Besides, it's unfair to compare the Bible with the collective works of Shakespeare and Dickens. The Bible is God's character development on a grand, epic scale, and it's ongoing. That's one way to look at it.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, except a corn of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it stays alone: but if it die, it brings forth much fruit. He that loves his life shall lose it; and he that hates his life in this world shall keep it to life eternal."  (John 12:24-25)

Peace.

Edited by braveone2u, 12 March 2013 - 02:57 AM.

"Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement -- even the very wise cannot see all ends." GANDALF

#128    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• 2,012 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:14 AM

View Postbraveone2u, on 12 March 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

"Truly, truly, I say to you, except a corn of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it stays alone: but if it die, it brings forth much fruit. He that loves his life shall lose it; and he that hates his life in this world shall keep it to life eternal."  (John 12:24-25)

Peace.

You think that is good?!?

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#129    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

Hi HavocWing,

Before I answer, what does it tell you?

Peace.

#130    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,379 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:42 AM

Here's something I've pondered God helps liberate the Israelites from the Egyptians. He sends them to the promise land.
But then he tells them to take the city of Jericho and killing its inhabitants. It seems that the Israelites are no better then
there former captors.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.
Science would call me a Non-Conformist. Religion would call me a Heretic. Government would call me a Rebel. I call myself a Freelancer.

#131    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• 2,012 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

View Postbraveone2u, on 12 March 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

Hi HavocWing,

Before I answer, what does it tell you?

Peace.

He does not want anyone to be happy.

It's clearly malicious.

Edited by HavocWing, 12 March 2013 - 04:10 AM.

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#132    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

View PostHavocWing, on 12 March 2013 - 03:58 AM, said:

He does not want anyone to be happy.

It's clearly malicious.
I respect your POV, HavocWing, but I see it the other way around. Some people are unhappy, not because of the Lord's doing, but because of free will. On the other hand, we have a choice to redirect that free will and ask Jesus Christ to be our Lord and Saviour. Happiness is a profound concept, and to absolutely know perfection and experience the "unconditional love" presence of God are ways to really know happiness. My faith in Jesus Christ gives me hope (deep down in my heart) that "real" happiness is, indeed, possible. Our Lord made that promise.

"That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that you also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full." (1 John 1:3-4)

"The next day John saw Jesus coming unto him, and said, Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world."  (John 1:29)  

"Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangs on a tree:"  (Galatians 3:13)

"Come unto me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  (Matthew 11:28-30)

Peace to you, HavocWing.

#133    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,475 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 March 2013 - 01:21 AM, said:

I don't want to seem sarcastic, but I have to say that what enters my head reading that is that you can find what you want to find.
indeed, that's the beauty of it. It has a quotation for every occasion, and often those quotations can be taken to mean exactly opposite things by two people with opposing viewpoints. I think perhaps it ought to be treated in the same way as other mystical texts and recognise that it can be used to get whatever you want out of it, rather than treated as The Truth, as dictated by God.

If one were to take the corpus of a great and at least fairly prolific writer -- say Shakespeare or Dickens -- one could produce passages adequate to build a religion, an ethical system, a cosmology, a guide to happy and productive living, what have you. Why not?
As Shakespeare himself said, "the Devil can cite Scripture for his purpose". (The Merchant of Venice).

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#134    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,475 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

View PostMag357, on 12 March 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

Here's something I've pondered God helps liberate the Israelites from the Egyptians. He sends them to the promise land.
But then he tells them to take the city of Jericho and killing its inhabitants. It seems that the Israelites are no better then
there former captors.
That's exactly what it's about, (the OT at any rate); it's entirely about the God (or the G_d) of the Israelites, it's exactly the same as Zeus to the Greeks. It was only meant to be for those people, not as a universal instruction book for mankind.
And look how GOD treated the Egyptians because their Pharoah kept going back on his promises- all those rains of blood, and frogs, and locusts - in fact, didn't GOD deliberately make Pharoah change his mind, just so that he could test the Israelites to make sure that they were really sincere? :unsure2:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#135    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• 1,317 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostCopen, on 10 March 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

But the beautiful feet of the preacher who beings this Good News is not the one who births you and re-creates you into sheep. Good News is just that - news, information.

Who are you identifying as "the preacher who brings this Good News" and "the one who births you and re-creates you"?

One's reality is another's nightmare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users