Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

FIFA World Cup 2006

Paranoid Android

We have a general soccer thread, and a "who's gonna win the cup" thread. This thread is slightly different. It's dedicated to general discussion about the World Cup. Matches played, predictions of individual games, goals scored, goals saved, team stats, coaching decisions, controversies, sendoff's, riots, reviews, that kinda thing.

Go crazy people's.

Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moon Monkey

• Paranoid Android

• frogfish

• SAMURAI-X

We have a general soccer thread, and a "who's gonna win the cup" thread. This thread is different. It's dedicated to general discussion about the World Cup. Matches played, predictions of individual games, goals scored, goals saved, team stats, coaching decisions, controversies, sendoff's, riots, that kinda thing.

Go crazy people's.

Regards, PA

Did you see that amazing comeback by Australia agasint japan, three goals in the last 10 mins.........brilliant!

Shaka Hislop, his display agaisnt sweden what a goalkeeper! Not bad considering hes 34.

He made about 6 game saving saves, good man helped England out abit

Did you see that amazing comeback by Australia agasint japan, three goals in the last 10 mins.........brilliant!

I did. It's what inspired me to start this thread *feels patriotic* :D

Guus Hiddink - master coach :tu: That second shot by Cahill was a screamer. Unbeatable strike.

edit: on other matters, that first Japan goal I think should have been a penalty - Schwarzer (Aussie goalkeeper) was impeded. Oh well, good win. First World Cup win for Australia..... EVER.

3-1 :D

But I think brazil :yes:

Edited by indeed

USA - CZECH 0-3

In first half.

I say CZECH REP will be the winner of this cup.

Edited by Vernes

Czech Rep has a few giants upfront. Kohler 6 foot 6...(tallest man WC 2006) crosses going to be a b**** for their opponents.

And one of the most experiened group of players, most over 30 and plenty of World Cup experience. Not a bad bet i must say.

sorry my american friends. you guys lost..

sorry my american friends. you guys lost..

:cry:

Italy - Ghana 1-0 so far, poor Ghana it`s their first World Cup and everything, and they come to a so hard group, the other nations in their group are Czech Rep. and USA, how can they possibly have a change ?

It's a good thing I've two teams to cheer for, Sweden didn't impress me against Trinidad-Tobago but Czech Republic kicked butt bigtime! :D

Czech Rep has a few giants upfront. Kohler 6 foot 6...(tallest man WC 2006)

England's Peter Crouch is 6 foot 7"

;)

Im not the most avid soccer (football) fan. But i used to play it, and enjoy watching it. I am a fan of Premiership, so for 2006, im gonna go my distant relatives, i will go with: David Beckham and my countries cousins in England!.

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!

We had dominated Japan throughout that entire match but were just unable to convert on the scoreboard until the final stages which do seem to be Japan's weakness, as just recently Germany came from 2 down to get away with a draw against them. Plus the 30c degree certainly suited us more than it did the Japanese players.

edit: on other matters, that first Japan goal I think should have been a penalty - Schwarzer (Aussie goalkeeper) was impeded. Oh well, good win. First World Cup win for Australia..... EVER.

The referee agrees with you there PA. He actually apologised to Mark Schwarzer and our Captain Mark Viduka after the match for not disallowing the goal. Its interesting how before the game the Japanese team accussed us of being overly physical yet they had two of their players slam into Schwarzer to stop him having a chance at saving the goal. Anyway it no longer matters as we got those amazing goals and the win. :tu:

Yeah, I left office early yesterday to watch the match. Fantastic match. Great comeback by the Aussies! 3 goals in the final 6 minutes of play. Japan had the match well and truly in their pockets, leading 1-0 with only 6 minutes left. I must say they played very very poorly to loose from there. They had some very good chances to score too but their attack was pathetic. It was only fair that the Aussies won. They deserved to win!

Edited by Bone_Collector

England's Peter Crouch is 6 foot 7"

;)

Two tallest players are Jan Koller (Czech Rep) and Zeljko Kalac (Aus)

Jan Koller: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/bsp/hi...oller_44868.stm

Zeljko Kalac: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/bsp/hi...kalac_25576.stm

Peter Crouch: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/bsp/hi...ouch_196137.stm

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5641184

:tu:

Edited by Hehe

England all the way, however i think Italy will prove more prosperous than most would of said before the cup started. Im not a hugh fan of Italy at all but they did look impressive going forward. there striker Toni is very good aswell as Totti, i would keep an eye on them.

Its interesting how before the game the Japanese team accussed us of being overly physical yet they had two of their players slam into Schwarzer to stop him having a chance at saving the goal.

...Well you'd be surprised how hard it is not to run into someone, when your opponents push you into him :P

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!

We had dominated Japan throughout that entire match but were just unable to convert on the scoreboard until the final stages which do seem to be Japan's weakness, as just recently Germany came from 2 down to get away with a draw against them. Plus the 30c degree certainly suited us more than it did the Japanese players.

The referee agrees with you there PA. He actually apologised to Mark Schwarzer and our Captain Mark Viduka after the match for not disallowing the goal. Its interesting how before the game the Japanese team accussed us of being overly physical yet they had two of their players slam into Schwarzer to stop him having a chance at saving the goal. Anyway it no longer matters as we got those amazing goals and the win. :tu:

I don't believe the heat was a factor in the win, Japan is a hot country too you know! I think it was more the work rate the aussie`s put in and having self belief, give your team more due respect they did good! I can see them drawing against Brazil if they have the same self belief, i'm sure that win did there confidence the world off good, well done!! :tu:

Let's face it - Japan choked! When Australia went with a more attacking line-up in the second half, Japan was happy to sit back and protect the 1-0 lead. That's why Australia had all the ball. Japan were willing to sit back and hope. Then a little mistake by the Japanese goalie, and Cahill scores. 1-1. Japan panicked. For so long they led, and they weren't sure how to handle a draw. So they had another against them. They got itchy and allowed another. And another. 3-1.

:o Korea 0 Togo 1 (half time score) Edited by Paranoid Android

Not many people are tipping the French. It is possible they are being underestimated. Never discount a team with Thierry Henry in it.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

It`s Brazil-Croatia tonight, Croatia is one of the few countrys that has never been beeten by Brazil (the other one is Norway) *laughs with evil voice* It will be an interresting match, unfourtunalty I won`t be able to see it because of a stupid school-end-of-term :cry: (if that is the correct word)

i picked Italy and Portugal to be in the finals. and i'm hoping for italy to win.

my american team sucked and i feel they will have better luck next game.