Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do atheists get a hard time?

Bling

There are alot of different topics on this forum and throughout society, in which people cast their opinion on something 'unexplained'. I've seen people imply that ghosts, UFO's astral projection and cryptids don't exist, and those who believe in them are wrong or deluded. So when an atheist says to a religious person that they are wrong or deluded, why are they vilified? Why then are they told they are going to hell, deluded, evil, enemies of the faith, so readily by some believers? It seems that some topics are ok to mock but religion is a no no. I think that's unfair. I hate seeing people have their beliefs of UFO's, cryptids and the paranormal cast aside by many and pigeonholed as ridiculous, but yet it happens - not just on this forum but throughout society.

So why is it that when atheists stick up for their beliefs and talk about them, do they often get attacked by believers? Is it ok to mock someone who believes in UFO's but not someone who believes in god? And if so, why?

• Like 3

theres a polite way to show that you disagree, never see any christians say that your going to hell on this forum. i could copy and post loads of hate against christians but theres not as much hate towards atheists. pls prove me wrong and post all the anti atheist comments you can find.

• Like 3

So when I explain in a calm logical and uninsulting fashion to alien visitation believers why they are probably not right about it, you miss the part where they get mad and insulting?

• Like 1

So why is it that when atheists stick up for their beliefs and talk about them, do they often get attacked by believers? Is it ok to mock someone who believes in UFO's but not someone who believes in god? And if so, why?

Possibly one contributory factor might be that the more militant (i.e. Dawkinsian) Atheists always seem to want to perpetually point out how they're Rational and have overcome Old fashioned Superstition, and the feeling of intellectual superiority and smugness that this tends to put across. And also, of course, the way that Dawkinisian Atheists invariably seem to be on a crusade to convert the believers, you might say, which is always highly ironic since that's what they always accuse "religious" people of constantly doing. It is, of course, wrong for Religious people to do this, but it's entirely right and indeed, essential for Rational people (i.e. Atheists) to do it. This might be seen by some as hypocritical. If all that they wanted to do was stick up for their beliefs and talk about them, I'm sure no one would have any problem with that at all, but it always feels like you're being shouted at all the time.

• Like 7

theres a polite way to show that you disagree, never see any christians say that your going to hell on this forum. i could copy and post loads of hate against christians but theres not as much hate towards atheists. pls prove me wrong and post all the anti atheist comments you can find.

I wasn't just talking just about this forum, I am talking about society in general. I really haven't the time to finds quotes to satisfy you, find them yourself. Some christians have preached on here, and in society in general they will critisise an atheist for not believing in something they hold firm. I did when I was a christian.

typo :rolleyes:

Edited by Bling
  • Like 1

So when I explain in a calm logical and uninsulting fashion to alien visitation believers why they are probably not right about it, you miss the part where they get mad and insulting?

Why do you feel the need to say they probably aren't right? Do you know for sure there has been no alien visitation?

No more then anyone else.

I agree somewhat. I think christians, or any other faith follower can be treated as a nutter who believes in fairytales - I know I was when I was a christian. They get a hard time too.

Possibly one contributory factor might be that the more militant (i.e. Dawkinsian) Atheists always seem to want to perpetually point out how they're Rational and have overcome Old fashioned Superstition, and the feeling of intellectual superiority and smugness that this tends to put across. And also, of course, the way that Dawkinisian Atheists invariably seem to be on a crusade to convert the believers, you might say, which is always highly ironic since that's what they always accuse "religious" people of constantly doing. It is, of course, wrong for Religious people to do this, but it's entirely right and indeed, essential for Rational people (i.e. Atheists) to do it. This might be seen by some as hypocritical. If all that they wanted to do was stick up for their beliefs and talk about them, I'm sure no one would have any problem with that at all, but it always feels like you're being shouted at all the time.

And what about the none militant atheists? All you've done here is turn my point around. Don't you think being told you are a sinner and going to hell feels just the same as being shouted at?

• Like 1

Possibly because of the supreme ignorance involved in saying someone is deluded. When it comes to gods, no-one knows either way for sure. I wouldn't try to convince you that gods exist and I don't expect you to tell me they don't. So when some atheists say they know there is no god, it is hypocrisy in the extreme. They will rant and rave at believers for saying they know gods exist without concrete evidence then claim to know gods don't exist with equally little to support their position.

As for why any religious position (including atheism) is more readily defended than UFO believers etc. I think it is purely down to numbers. There are more theists than believers in UFOs so people insulting them are more likely to come up against opposition.

• Like 2

Possibly because of the supreme ignorance involved in saying someone is deluded. When it comes to gods, no-one knows either way for sure. I wouldn't try to convince you that gods exist and I don't expect you to tell me they don't. So when some atheists say they know there is no god, it is hypocrisy in the extreme. They will rant and rave at believers for saying they know gods exist without concrete evidence then claim to know gods don't exist with equally little to support their position.

As for why any religious position (including atheism) is more readily defended than UFO believers etc. I think it is purely down to numbers. There are more theists than believers in UFOs so people insulting them are more likely to come up against opposition.

Good points. So some atheists attack believers and some believers attack atheists and we're all equally as bad as each other for doing it?

• Like 2

Good points. So some atheists attack believers and some believers attack atheists and we're all equally as bad as each other for doing it?

Pretty much :) Basically, in groups, people tend to be rather stupid.

• Like 2

never see any christians say that your going to hell on this forum.

I see it all the time, and no I am not going post every post.

• Like 3

And what about the none militant atheists? All you've done here is turn my point around. Don't you think being told you are a sinner and going to hell feels just the same as being shouted at?

Some do it with so much pomp you want to reach through the internet and slap em.

• Like 1

I see it all the time, and no I am not going post every post.

So how about just 3? Surely you can find that many if you see it all the time :tu:

Some do it with so much pomp you want to reach through the internet and slap em.

Good to know it works both ways.

Good to know it works both ways.

But I don't go around telling people that they are going to hell. So it doesn't work both ways.

Edited by HavocWing

But I don't go around telling people that they are going to hell. So it doesn't work both ways.

But some atheists go around telling people they are wrong and insane for believing. So yes it does.

• Like 1

I wasn't just talking just about this forum, I am talking about society in general. I really haven't the time to finds quotes to satisfy you, find them yourself. Some christians have preached on here, and in society in general they will critisise an atheist for not believing in something they hold firm. I did when I was a christian.

typo :rolleyes:

im satisfied in general, i was just proving a point that you choose to take literally. out of the forum you will only interact with people you choose to interact with, im sure there are not that many christians saying your going to hell. just as there are not that many atheists who choose to insult god infront of me, there fore making have to come out and admit that im a christian so they will be more polite. i have never said your going to hell and not many people on here have said it either, unless they have been insulted alot. just as an atheist in your eyes who becomes a christian was never really an atheist, a christian that became a atheist was never really a christian. p.s if you dont have the time to back up a statement dont make it in the first place.

The number of Religious people who'd think that is a very, very small minority. The same might perhaps be said of the militant Atheists, but, perhaps like the hardline Religious people, they just make themselves heard to a disproportionate extent, who can say? really, I think militant Atheists are hardly any different from religious fundamentalists, and if they do get a hard time, then that's perhaps why.

• Like 1

There are alot of different topics on this forum and throughout society, in which people cast their opinion on something 'unexplained'. I've seen people imply that ghosts, UFO's astral projection and cryptids don't exist, and those who believe in them are wrong or deluded. So when an atheist says to a religious person that they are wrong or deluded, why are they vilified? Why then are they told they are going to hell, deluded, evil, enemies of the faith, so readily by some believers? It seems that some topics are ok to mock but religion is a no no. I think that's unfair. I hate seeing people have their beliefs of UFO's, cryptids and the paranormal cast aside by many and pigeonholed as ridiculous, but yet it happens - not just on this forum but throughout society.

I don't send anyone to hell ;-). We all get our licks, the so called new-atheism is just as bad as any fundie religious or ideological group. Atheist are just human, don't have many answers, if any, and at times think more of themselves than they should....well some of them, just like some in any group. Like I said they are normal human beings, who jump on others and get jumped on themselves from time to time. I find it interesting that when a fundie Christian becomes an atheist they stay the same, dogmatic and contemptuous of those who still believe. As many atheist when they leave the fold many fall into fundementlist churches. Simple answeres mabye, don't know. In any case, again, most fundie's that I know are good gentle people....it is the out spoken that draw the fire on everyon in their group, be it atheist, believer of political.

Peace

Mark

Peope disagree about a lot of things but hings which go to the heart of who we are /identity etc are held and defended more passionatley So homosexuality and religiousity are always hot topics

I point out to people what i know from experience and personal evidences. Sometimes that means telling people that their own (dis) beliefs are wrong. But i always add that, when it comes to beliefs, people should hold that which works for them regardless of truth. After all they may not have met god and thus logically can disbelieve in him.

It is not my job to disabuse them of their disbeleif. But it is my right to point out what i know through experience to be true. Atheists do not like to hear that a eral and powerful god has a physical and indendent existenc.e First it contradicts their beleif system and seems like an attack on them and their intelligence.Ssecond it has many implications for them even if they have not encountered god. But that is not my problem. It is something each individual must deal with.

Ps i dont tell people they are going to hell. Hell does not exis.t But i do point out thatl all humans are self aware and know the consequences of each thought and action. That makes them persoanlly and individually resposnible for the outcome of everything they do And knowing that should be reaosn enoguh to act rationally responsibly ethially morally and compassionately.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

Atheists do not like to hear that a eral and powerful god has a physical and indendent existenc.e First it contradicts their beleif system and seems like an attack on them and their intelligence.

To be fair, that contradicts the belief of many - theist and atheist alike.

To be fair, that contradicts the belief of many - theist and atheist alike.

True, but it is even more incompatible with atheism. Even theists with a different view of the nature of god tend to a mindset that includes god in their considerations and actions. They calculate the existence of some form of god into their word view.

Atheists deliberately calculate god out of their world view, and out of consideration in their ethics, moralities, associated beliefs and actions. Thus, for an atheist to be told that there IS a real physical god is more uncomfortabl e and confronting, than for a theist who considers god existent but, say, uninvolved with everyday mundane affairs of humans, and who at least has a theoretical accpetance of gods existence in some form. In other words, the psychological ramifications of the existence of a physical and real god are greater for an atheist than for a "philosophical " theist.

I don't agree entirely with you there, Mr Walker. If god is a real and evolved part of our universe this would turn over a lot of religious dogma - especially that god was the prime cause of all creation.

However, I take your point on a general principle.

The number of Religious people who'd think that is a very, very small minority. The same might perhaps be said of the militant Atheists, but, perhaps like the hardline Religious people, they just make themselves heard to a disproportionate extent, who can say? really, I think militant Atheists are hardly any different from religious fundamentalists, and if they do get a hard time, then that's perhaps why.

A lot of us Atheists don't want to be associated with The Freedom From Religion Foundation any more than Christians want to be associated with the Phelps can. They reflect badly on the rest of us. The last thing I would want to do is try and tell anyone how they should live their life and I think the Atheists that try to convert people are hypocrites.

• Like 3