Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dinosaur DNA could not survive in amber

Still Waters

Ancient dinosaur DNA is unlikely to survive inside the bodies of insects encased in amber according to a new study that will dash the hopes of fans of Jurassic Park that it may be possible to one day resurrect the giant prehistoric reptiles.

http://www.telegraph...e-in-amber.html

That is a shame. :cry:

I imagine a lot could have been learned if we were able to compare ancient dinosaur DNA to modern reptile DNA and I guess my dreams to have a pet Brontosaurus are out the window. :td:

Edited by Razer
  • Like 1

That is a shame. :cry:

I imagine a lot could have been learned if we were able to compare ancient dinosaur DNA to modern reptile DNA and I guess my dreams to have a pet Brontosaurus are out the window. :td:

Or a pack of Deinonychus to keep the magazine solicitors and JWs at bay.

Huh. That's too bad.

Maybe in time they will find a viable amber-encased insect that fed on the open carcass of a dino(as I doubt they could pierce a living dino's skin)

Or maybe some other type of "encasement", such as glaciers as with the wooly mammoth's, or something else. Who knows.

Or even much more advanced DNA extraction in the future.

And I suspect that Antarctica, many miles deep in it's ice(in places), might eventually surprise us all with frozen dino's.

Something tells me that this story is far from over with. Though perhaps not available in our lifetimes.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

They already have the DNA of multiple Dinosaurs... (Including T-rex)

So this is completely inaccurate.

The newest method also allows you to reach DNA from soft tissue in the center of the bone. (marrow etc.)

My advice; read about science from a scientific site...

Edited by digitaldegradation

Why would you want one? There's plenty around today to amaze us so I don't feel we need to revive extinct species,unless of course we want to make them extinct again

Why would you want one? There's plenty around today to amaze us so I don't feel we need to revive extinct species,unless of course we want to make them extinct again

Actually, there is much curiosity with regards to "revived" dino's as opposed to just looking at their fossilized bones.

Maybe in time they will find a viable amber-encased insect that fed on the open carcass of a dino(as I doubt they could pierce a living dino's skin)

My thoughts were on this line too. What are the chances of this really?

It was a good idea to be used in making a film, but so was Batman and Robin.

But somewhere out there, there may well be an amber encased insect which dined on the carcass of dino, but would guess it would be like looking for a bat in a giant cave after your torch batteries have run out.

My thoughts were on this line too. What are the chances of this really?

It was a good idea to be used in making a film, but so was Batman and Robin.

But somewhere out there, there may well be an amber encased insect which dined on the carcass of dino, but would guess it would be like looking for a bat in a giant cave after your torch batteries have run out.

True.

It will, if possible, be an accidental discovery.

But likely, this did happen. Perhaps never to be found. So much world, and so much to be discovered...

I appreciate the curiosity aspect and the advances in science should we be able to achieve the resurrection but I feel the energy would be better spent on current investigations into wildlife survival and so many more discoveries that I'm sure are out there just waiting

Ancient dinosaur DNA is unlikely to survive inside the bodies of insects encased in amber according to a new study that will dash the hopes of fans of Jurassic Park that it may be possible to one day resurrect the giant prehistoric reptiles.

http://www.telegraph...e-in-amber.html

Before many days i saw a documentary where they said it is not possible to get Dinosaur DNA that easily like shown in the movie Jurassic Park. Anyway,i never beleived that they could bring back a Dinosaur.

They could still make dinosaurs by taking the closest extant relatives (birds, I think) and tricking out their DNA. Of course, even if it looked very much like we think it should, it would not be the real thing, but for the sake of an amusement park it would work find.

They could still make dinosaurs by taking the closest extant relatives (birds, I think) and tricking out their DNA. Of course, even if it looked very much like we think it should, it would not be the real thing, but for the sake of an amusement park it would work find.

• 1 month later...

Oh. Wow. They were actually trying to make a real Jurassic Park?