Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A New Religion

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1    alibongo

alibongo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

I am seriously thinking of starting a new religion. Obviously, it will involve costs, and I aim to cover those and perhaps make a bit as well (I need the money to be honest)..
It will need to be popular enough so I can claim charitable status for tax reasons.
I am thinking along the lines of: all humans are weak and vulnerable (most people think that in moments of doubt),but you can meet lost loved ones, and even meet new people to love, if you subscribe to it.The religion will unlock hidden talents you did not know you possess.
I am thinking of gradually more expense involved as you progress, but I also need subscribers to feel they are benefiting spiritually from my new religion.
I am thinking: the discovery of a previously lost ancient artefact which has mysterious, but potent, forces which can only be unlocked through study and expense
I think this is an ideal forum to ask for ideas.  I know the usual original sinners and redemption ideas are popular, but I want this religion to really get people's imagination and enthusiasm.
What do you think are the requirements for a new religion to really take off?

#2    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,291 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

So you want to start a new religion to lie and cheat people out of their souls and money.  I don't think that would new.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#3    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,850 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

All religion is free

#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,291 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 10 July 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

All religion is free

Spirituality is free, religion is not. Pass the plate.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

I think if I were to worship something it would be cats.  I know that's been done before, but not for quite awhile, and they are just aloof enough yet demanding and selfish and bloodthirsty enough to fill the bill (or claw, as the case may be).

#6    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,291 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

I would rather worship the dog. Give her a belly scratch and she is good. I worship the dog and you worship the cat now we'll have to go to war to see which is one true and loving God of peace.

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

Oh but a dog worships you; you must worship that cat.  That is nature's way.

#8    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

View Postalibongo, on 10 July 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

I am seriously thinking of starting a new religion. Obviously, it will involve costs, and I aim to cover those and perhaps make a bit as well (I need the money to be honest)..
It will need to be popular enough so I can claim charitable status for tax reasons.
I am thinking along the lines of: all humans are weak and vulnerable (most people think that in moments of doubt),but you can meet lost loved ones, and even meet new people to love, if you subscribe to it.The religion will unlock hidden talents you did not know you possess.
I am thinking of gradually more expense involved as you progress, but I also need subscribers to feel they are benefiting spiritually from my new religion.
I am thinking: the discovery of a previously lost ancient artefact which has mysterious, but potent, forces which can only be unlocked through study and expense
I think this is an ideal forum to ask for ideas.  I know the usual original sinners and redemption ideas are popular, but I want this religion to really get people's imagination and enthusiasm.
What do you think are the requirements for a new religion to really take off?

Let me get this right: You are asking for public advice how to best arrange a scam?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#9    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,291 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 10 July 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Oh but a dog worships you; you must worship that cat.  That is nature's way.

Dog make you think that, but in truth you are their slave. Everytime I walk by dog, she rolls on her back and demands bully scratch.  The cat is the evil one.  She plots our death, so she can eat us.

#10    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

The church of Arthur Fonzarelli.

Fonzie be praised.... ayyyyyyyyyy.....
Posted Image

Edited by Lava_Lady, 10 July 2013 - 11:02 AM.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#11    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,026 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

You'll need a name for this.

One really famous writer had quite a bit of success with this idea, If memory serves he was able to appeal to people's logic by using the word Science and people's need for spiritual guidance by also using the word Church in the name he chose for his scam.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#12    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 10 July 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

You'll need a name for this.

One really famous writer had quite a bit of success with this idea, If memory serves he was able to appeal to people's logic by using the word Science and people's need for spiritual guidance by also using the word Church in the name he chose for his scam.

He did. Although I am not sure why you call it a scam. Is it any scammier than the other so-called religions, which we are always told to respect?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

How about "World Church of the Second Amendment."

#14    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,026 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 10 July 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

He did. Although I am not sure why you call it a scam. Is it any scammier than the other so-called religions, which we are always told to respect?
If it costs you about $100,000 for the powers that be in the religion to recognise you as having progressed to a high level - that's a scam.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Religions should be respected and honored; scams should be denounced and the perpetrators put in jail.  So what do you do if something is both a religion and a scam?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users