Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

For Catholics Converts.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    Dang

Dang

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(scipherel @ Jul 21 2005, 09:09 AM)
Well, i am a catholic because i am always free to go to church or not to go to church without being question by other. And i can also go to other religion even i am a catholic.

View Post

Yeah. We can attend other religion services if we choose to do so. The Mass is a lot more spiritual though then listening to some bible thumper prance back and fourth on a platform wrongly called an alter.  I don't do other churches anymore though.

#17    JuneyGirl

JuneyGirl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE(Dang @ Jul 21 2005, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE(Geoff @ Jul 21 2005, 04:50 AM)
QUOTE(Dang @ Jul 21 2005, 03:25 AM)
Finally I asked myself "Why do Catholics belive Mary remained a virgin when the bible says so plainly she wasn't?" This question bugged the hell out of me for many years.  So I researched it with a Bible dictionary that I bought at a christian book store and looked up "brothers" and found grounds why the Catholic Church could argue with the idea that Jesus had brothers and sisters. And I learned that the word "till" has a lot more meanings then one. Firstborn! It's a title also for an only son! For the rights that come with it.

View Post

Hi Dang,

You have every right to believe as you wish, but it won't make Jesus' brothers and sisters disappear.

[H.R.: could you give us a complete list of the names of Jesus' brothers and sisters?]

Of course, I will do this with great pleasure. Jesus had five brothers, namely, James (Ya’qov), Simon (Shim’on), Judah (Yehudah), Joses (Yosef) and Thomas (Toma’). And he also had two sisters, Rachel (Rakhel) and Lea (Le’ah).

The Education of Jesus in Egypt

View Post

And it gives me great pleasure to give you the names of his cousins. James,Simon, Judah, Joses, ect ect ect.

View Post

James was his brother  tongue.gif

''Fear not; I am with you to the end of the age.” Jesus

#18    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,986 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:17 AM

Religion, in my opinion, is only useful because it provides a building where one can meet with like-minded individuals in worship to God.  I do not attend a Catholic church because I believe those teachings are in contradiction to the Bible.  I attend an Anglican church, yet I do not agree with all the teachings of this religion either.  It all comes down to meeting with other Christians and worshipping our great God together.

All the best,

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#19    scipherel

scipherel

Extinct at 13 Nov.2006

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:17 PM

There's peace of mind on the Roman Catholic Church.

Don't be scared of what you cannot see, your only fear is possibility,
never wondered what the hell went wrong,  your second chance may never come along.
Hold on now your exits here, it's waiting just for you,
don't pause too long its fading now, its ending all too sooooon,
you'll see. ~pete murray~

#20    Dang

Dang

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(JuneyGirl @ Jul 23 2005, 03:01 AM)
QUOTE(Dang @ Jul 21 2005, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE(Geoff @ Jul 21 2005, 04:50 AM)
QUOTE(Dang @ Jul 21 2005, 03:25 AM)
Finally I asked myself "Why do Catholics belive Mary remained a virgin when the bible says so plainly she wasn't?" This question bugged the hell out of me for many years.  So I researched it with a Bible dictionary that I bought at a christian book store and looked up "brothers" and found grounds why the Catholic Church could argue with the idea that Jesus had brothers and sisters. And I learned that the word "till" has a lot more meanings then one. Firstborn! It's a title also for an only son! For the rights that come with it.

View Post

Hi Dang,

You have every right to believe as you wish, but it won't make Jesus' brothers and sisters disappear.

[H.R.: could you give us a complete list of the names of Jesus' brothers and sisters?]

Of course, I will do this with great pleasure. Jesus had five brothers, namely, James (Ya’qov), Simon (Shim’on), Judah (Yehudah), Joses (Yosef) and Thomas (Toma’). And he also had two sisters, Rachel (Rakhel) and Lea (Le’ah).

The Education of Jesus in Egypt

View Post

And it gives me great pleasure to give you the names of his cousins. James,Simon, Judah, Joses, ect ect ect.

View Post

James was his brother  tongue.gif

View Post

James is his cousin.  thumbsup.gif

#21    tony de Lucchi

tony de Lucchi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:18 PM

Cos its fun being a Catholic. When Proddies are having a debate knocking the old church it is nice to experience the silence when you announce you are catholic.

#22    Dang

Dang

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE(tony de Lucchi @ Jul 26 2005, 05:18 PM)
Cos its fun being a Catholic. When Proddies are having a debate knocking the old church it is nice to experience the silence when you announce you are catholic.

View Post

LOL! Amen to that! They have no idea that the Catholic church is tho most populated Christian denomination...Oh, wait. I keep forgetting...."Catholics ain't Christian"

#23    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,986 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:13 PM

Christ-ian - Christ follower.

No one's saying Catholic's aren't Christian.  There are many practicing Catholics who you could consider as "Christian", just as there are many protestants who can not be considered "Christian".

It's just that I believe the Catholic church (as in the organization) has it wrong in many regards.  My posts as such have always been aimed at them and not at individual followers of said religious institution.

All the best,

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#24    warrior4christ

warrior4christ

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

• "History is our window to the past" "In order to know where we're going, we should first know where we've been"

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(Dang @ Jul 21 2005, 06:38 PM)
QUOTE(Ashley-Star*Child @ Jul 21 2005, 07:56 AM)
What a load of sh** Geoff. Tell me, when Mary wrote that did she tell of when Jesus was lost in the Temple and she belted the crap out of Him because she was worried sick? Or how, like all children, He misbehaved?

Where did that come from? Not only have I personally have be own 'revelations' through dreams 90% of which include angels in their true forms, but I know someone (and I've spoken of this before on here) who HAS while AWAKE seen Mary the mother of Jesus, and countlss other things. Not only that but she was told countlss REAL revelations which did indeed occur, one of which was about the 92 Gulf War (she started seeing Mary in the late 70's) which she was then told would result in another war later on. Tell me how old did Mary look? What was her eye color, how long was her hair, how tall was she?

EDIT: And for the record, you may be able to put it over other people, but you most definantly can't put it over me. So keep peddling, because I ain't buying.

View Post

Wow Ashley. Private Revaluations? FAR OUT! Aa a Catholic I can take them or leave them so long as they do not contradict the Teachings of the Church.
(I don't even have to except Marian theology to be a Catholic in good standing. But I do. ) So what do you make of Fatima 1917?

View Post

I have a question in regards to the Catholic Church. Whats the deal with the "Assumption" I know what it is as far as what it states, but this belief isnt found anywhere in the Bible. The assumption came about in the 1950's and was added to Catholic Dogma. If the assumption isnt divine mandate, then why believe in it? Also, it seems to me the the word "Assumption" is not a word that should be associated with any belief structure simply because it is a contradiction of the word "Faith" you should never assume anything, you either have faith and believe, or you dont. Thoughts???

#25    aero_360

aero_360

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:57 PM

I'm a Catholic because I've had some unexplainable personal experiences, but there are too many to tell you about.

#26    Dang

Dang

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:35 PM

I have a question in regards to the Catholic Church. Whats the deal with the "Assumption" I know what it is as far as what it states, but this belief isnt found anywhere in the Bible. The assumption came about in the 1950's and was added to Catholic Dogma. If the assumption isnt divine mandate, then why believe in it? Also, it seems to me the the word "Assumption" is not a word that should be associated with any belief structure simply because it is a contradiction of the word "Faith" you should never assume anything, you either have faith and believe, or you dont. Thoughts???

THE FACT OF THE ASSUMPTION

Regarding the day, year, and manner of Our Lady's death, nothing certain is known. The earliest known literary reference to the Assumption is found in the Greek work De Obitu S. Dominae. Catholic faith, however, has always derived our knowledge of the mystery from Apostolic Tradition. Epiphanius (d. 403) acknowledged that he knew nothing definite about it (Haer., lxxix, 11). The dates assigned for it vary between three and fifteen years after Christ's Ascension. Two cities claim to be the place of her departure: Jerusalem and Ephesus. Common consent favours Jerusalem, where her tomb is shown; but some argue in favour of Ephesus. The first six centuries did not know of the tomb of Mary at Jerusalem.

The belief in the corporeal assumption of Mary is founded on the apocryphal treatise De Obitu S. Dominae, bearing the name of St. John, which belongs however to the fourth or fifth century. It is also found in the book De Transitu Virginis, falsely ascribed to St. Melito of Sardis, and in a spurious letter attributed to St. Denis the Areopagite. If we consult genuine writings in the East, it is mentioned in the sermons of St. Andrew of Crete, St. John Damascene, St. Modestus of Jerusalem and others. In the West, St. Gregory of Tours (De gloria mart., I, iv) mentions it first. The sermons of St. Jerome and St. Augustine for this feast, however, are spurious. St. John of Damascus (P. G., I, 96) thus formulates the tradition of the Church of Jerusalem:

St. Juvenal, Bishop of Jerusalem, at the Council of Chalcedon (451), made known to the Emperor Marcian and Pulcheria, who wished to possess the body of the Mother of God, that Mary died in the presence of all the Apostles, but that her tomb, when opened, upon the request of St. Thomas, was found empty; wherefrom the Apostles concluded that the body was taken up to heaven.
Today, the belief in the corporeal assumption of Mary is universal in the East and in the West; according to Benedict XIV (De Festis B.V.M., I, viii, 18) it is a probable opinion, which to deny were impious and blasphemous.

Bull Munificentissimus Deus, 1 November, 1950, Pope Pius XII declared infallibly that the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was a dogma of the Catholic Faith. Likewise, the Second Vatican Council taught in the Dogmatic Constitution Lumen Gentium that "the Immaculate Virgin, preserved free from all stain of original sin, was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, when her earthly life was over, and exalted by the Lord as Queen over all things (Info from :New Advent. com)

Hope this helps.

#27    Dang

Dang

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(aero_360 @ Jul 29 2005, 03:57 PM)
I'm a Catholic because I've had some unexplainable personal experiences, but there are too many to tell you about.

View Post

I'm game. I'd love to hear about them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users