Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How would you prove ghosts are real?

Use your brain

Personally I am a skeptical person, but if I were to see a ghost in person I believe that my views would change. This question is meant do be directed at skeptics like myself, I am not looking for a blurry photograph answer or video that can have any way of being disputed as fake by a credible source.

With all the fake pictures and videos out there, how would you do this? I have given this a lot of thought, as I may have a very lucrative opportunity presenting itself soon. I am looking for something that would actually be convincing, I do no want ways to fake this, I want a way that can be proven real.

What would it take for you to believe? You may be like me and it would have to be a personal experiance, which I understand.

Thank you for your time.

• Like 2

I'm in your boat already, give me an oar. I've seen and heard things; very real to me, but no proof to show others. As for what others say they have experienced, good stories. :mellow:

• Like 2

Some people will not be convinced no matter the evidence. I'm a skeptical believer who has had experiences but I still believe in other possibilities.

• Like 5

Personally I am a skeptical person, but if I were to see a ghost in person I believe that my views would change.

I think that is true about aliens, bigfoot, Nessie, angels, lizard people, leprechauns... If you see one, you're likely to become a believer.

I think someone will have to build a trap that can contain a ghost. Much like in Ghostbusters, you'd have to catch one and display it scientifically before people would believe.

How to go about catching one? That I am not sure of...

• Like 5

I think someone will have to build a trap that can contain a ghost. Much like in Ghostbusters, you'd have to catch one and display it scientifically before people would believe.

How to go about catching one? That I am not sure of...

Hmm interesting answer. I will look into this to see if it is even plausable given my budget. Thank you for the response.

I am not sure how to go about this either, but if someone could actually pull this off it would be well worth the time of the research and equipment used.

Edited by Use your brain

First I think would be figuring out if there is a physical or energy element to the ghost entity. If so, then a trap that works on physical materials or energy forms could potentially capture one.

I believe I've read that very often a ghost will cause a negative temperature change, making an area colder. This could be a clue as to a ghost moving energy around. Which could be a clue as to the material world nature of a ghost.

• Like 2

I think there will always be some skeptics who could have someone they personally know, come up to them from beyond with secrets only they would know and say hi, and the skeptic would still be explaining away how it's not real. My husband is like that. We had an experience together at a hotel in Texas, reported to be haunted, and he still kept saying it was something else. There are some who will not believe it. And of course, there are some who you can scream boo to, and they will say 'ghost'.

Despite all that, I think for most of the populace, what I just said, a past loved one, coming back with knowledge of their loved ones, and saying hi to all. I think that would be the closest way to prove it to most.

• Like 2

I think there will always be some skeptics who could have someone they personally know, come up to them from beyond with secrets only they would know and say hi, and the skeptic would still be explaining away how it's not real. My husband is like that. We had an experience together at a hotel in Texas, reported to be haunted, and he still kept saying it was something else. There are some who will not believe it. And of course, there are some who you can scream boo to, and they will say 'ghost'.

Despite all that, I think for most of the populace, what I just said, a past loved one, coming back with knowledge of their loved ones, and saying hi to all. I think that would be the closest way to prove it to most.

Thats what happened to me. No one will ever convince me my Grandmother didnt come back to comfort me. Most things ive explained away. Not that one!

• Like 4

Thats what happened to me. No one will ever convince me my Grandmother didnt come back to comfort me. Most things ive explained away. Not that one!

And so they should not.

I am a skeptic, but if comfort is brought by an experience, then it should not be taken away.. Sometimes a bit of empathy is more important than the want of proof.

• Like 6

The problem is how do you know it is your grandmother and not a demon or something like that, and that is only after you rule out, which you can't, all sorts of more mundane things, like visions and hallucinations and frauds and tricks and false memories and no end of psychological things that happen when we are stressed.

I rather think they probably do exist here and there, but not something subject to proof and therefore not free of skeptical attack when people try to prove it.

• Like 4

It's a completely subjective thing.

Some people would still be in denial if they were stood in a room with a tap dancing ghost playing a pair of bongos. Others would be calling the Ghostbusters if they felt 'a bit of a breeze in the room'.

Personally, it would take a personal experience followed by an exhaustive investigation to rule out any natural explanations.

• Like 8

It's a completely subjective thing.

Some people would still be in denial if they were stood in a room with a tap dancing ghost playing a pair of bongos. Others would be calling the Ghostbusters if they felt 'a bit of a breeze in the room'.

Personally, it would take a personal experience followed by an exhaustive investigation to rule out any natural explanations.

A tap dancing ghost playing a pair of bongos.right in front of me, may convince me. :w00t:

But as you say some people will not be convinced, either way.. But so far, there are more explanations as to why they are no ghosts and as we have gained a better understanding of the world around us over time, much of the old stories have been well and truly explained.

It should have been a great opportunity when the camera was invented, but instead of bringing out the ghosts, it brought out the fakers, triers and many who did not understand how light and reflections work on cameras...as well as what a shaky hand can do.

We should by now have the technology to show us the "ghosts" people claim they see, but it seems to be the opposite, we can now explain what they thought they saw was not a ghost.

• Like 1

As long as their is room for plausible doubt, the ideas will flow in abundance.

• 2 months later...

Personally I am a skeptical person, but if I were to see a ghost in person I believe that my views would change.

For me personally, I don't think this would be the case. Even if an apparition manifests before me, I am still going to try to figure what happened and whether or not it was real. That is just the way that I am.

• Like 2

Personally I am a skeptical person, but if I were to see a ghost in person I believe that my views would change. This question is meant do be directed at skeptics like myself, I am not looking for a blurry photograph answer or video that can have any way of being disputed as fake by a credible source.

With all the fake pictures and videos out there, how would you do this? I have given this a lot of thought, as I may have a very lucrative opportunity presenting itself soon. I am looking for something that would actually be convincing, I do no want ways to fake this, I want a way that can be proven real.

What would it take for you to believe? You may be like me and it would have to be a personal experiance, which I understand.

Thank you for your time.

Pretty easy really.

How many stories do you see about " most haunted ", and people claiming they have occurrences in their homes all of the time? ( poltergeists )

These people could simply invite over a News crew, and gather video evidence. Invite over more people to witness this.

Present this evidence to Universities, and show there is actually something there.

With some of the claims out there, there would be more than enough evidence to convince a University ( or a few ) to come study this. ( the scientific community in general )

Then, it will become a " real " thing........

That day will not come, because that does not happen. Claims are made, but nothing to prove them. And, I am talking about the numerous claims of things happening all of the time.

These people could simply invite over a News crew, and gather video evidence. Invite over more people to witness this.

There are many such news reports if you care to look for them, but they don't often make it to the 'mainstream'. If so, they are presented as 'oddities' of little importance.

Here's a news story reported last year; a CCTV caught a glass cake cover flying across the counter of a New Hampshire Country store. I thought it was quite interesting and people here had a wide range of opinions on this. Here's the DailyMail's article: http://www.dailymail...ing-ground.html

Present this evidence to Universities, and show there is actually something there.

To be honest, very few scientists in Universities are actually interested in the matter of paranormal phenomena. What's the point of wasting time and ressources on something that cannot exist? Asking them to investigate this ''nonsens'' is actually asking them to put their academic reputations in jeopardy. Few even want to be associated with such a thing as a 'paranormal investigation'. You will have much better luck at a department of parapsychology though. They have dedicated their academic careers to the study of such anomalies.

Edited by samus
  • Like 1

How would you prove ghosts are real to other people who haven't experienced them?

You can't.

• Like 2

How would you prove ghosts are real to other people who haven't experienced them?

You can't.

Yeah, that's true, because they will always have that doubt. It seems to me, a lot of those interested in the paranormal, are usually people who have experienced something they couldn't explain. Like myself, I have had experiences both ghostly, and others, that make me want to find out. But trying to explain something that doesn't really have a known basis in our daily lives, how can others see the same thing? I often wonder, well, take them someone to a place that has the most reported experiences and see what happens. Even then, I wonder if that will work.

You could possibly try a Faraday cage to trap one maybe...use a portable set up, take to a well known location for hauntings, rig it up in the 'most haunted' locality and see what you get when switch it on after noting 'manifestations'....

• Like 1

As should be obvious from the discussion, no amount of personal testimony or mechanical recording is adequate for an outlandish claim such as a ghost. Indeed, such evidence is just barely enough to convince me that I am real, and then only on Mondays and Wednesdays.

That is the problem with everything "outré." First, proof is out of the question -- the best to be hoped for is good, universally convincing evidence. This applies to everything we think is true.

For things like ghosts and angels and past lives and dragons and visions and flying saucers, not even that is enough. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and for things like these it never exists (hint: where extraordinary evidence does exist for some outrageous claim it has been accepted and is no longer seen as outrageous and has already been incorporated into science). Rocks from space are an example.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How would you prove ghosts are real?

I Believe that ghosts are real because there is evidence .

Evidence that is collected when you do a investigation in a haunted house .

Ghosts , voices , ouija .

• Like 1

Sorry to have abandoned this topic, I have gathered what I expected from it. For some people, nothing short of multiple personal experiances will be enough ( to make sure the first few aren't you going crazy ) as for others they would believe if they saw a shady youtube video.

I was interested in this because of the case from Indiana that I was looking into. It was the first time the police have listed "Paranormal" as the cause. It had multiple hospital workers seeing a child levatate up a wall and then do a front flip off of it behind them while growling. The police went to go visit the house off the record and took a K-9. They reported the dog behaving strangly and olive oil leaking from the blinds without a source. One officer ( I think the Captain ) took a picture on his Iphone and reported capturing something, but did not release it.

All in all it was just a really strange case with multiple credible witnesses, it really made me want to start looking into this. I am suprised at how this really didn't get any mainstream attention too. I'm not sure if the major news outlets didn't want to scare people or just weren't sure what to make of it or how to tell the story.

I got invited to a home that had supposedly been having some serious "Paranormal" occurances. I was happy to take this opportunity as honestly I would love to see something like that, I have heard stories like the one above, seen videos, seen pictures, and yet until I have a personal experiance that I can be 100% sure is real, then I just can't make myself believe.

I was really making this thread to get an idea of the equipment to take with me, as I was honestly looking at this as an opportunity to make a great sum of money if I could get something that would stick. This however was not the case, all I found were drafty windows and loose pipes. Nothing remotely unexplainable happened, and it was just another let down. I was making some calls before I went, and still have a VERY generous offer IF I can provide something that can pass a full examination.

I am still looking into ways to go about this, I will disclose the methods I am currently using if I can ever capture something first, currently I wish to keep those to myself, as I would love to make some money doing this, as it can be quite fun.

If anyone has any suggestions on a way to go about getting proof I would love to hear it, and yes I am using it for my personal gain, but also if it works then there will finally be a definitive answer to the "Paranormal" debate.

Edited by Use your brain
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was interested in this because of the case from Indiana that I was looking into. It was the first time the police have listed "Paranormal" as the cause. It had multiple hospital workers seeing a child levatate up a wall and then do a front flip off of it behind them while growling. The police went to go visit the house off the record and took a K-9. They reported the dog behaving strangly and olive oil leaking from the blinds without a source. One officer ( I think the Captain ) took a picture on his Iphone and reported capturing something, but did not release it

.All in all it was just a really strange case with multiple credible witnesses, it really made me want to start looking into this. I am suprised at how this really didn't get any mainstream attention too. I'm not sure if the major news outlets didn't want to scare people or just weren't sure what to make of it or how to tell the story.

This topic your speaking of had MUCH media coverage even FOX News.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0LEVyD8ugZVM.QAI6tXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2NjY3OQRfcgMyBGZyA3lmcC10LTkwMS1zBGdwcmlkAzl5VFlIMkZEUXJLUHVIeFF2VHBLVUEEbl9yc2x0AzAEbl9zdWdnAzQEb3JpZ2luA3NlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMEcXN0cmwDMjkEcXVlcnkDaW5kaWFuYSBkZW1vbiBob3VzZSB2aWRlbyBDTk4EdF9zdG1wAzE0MjY1MDQ0NjI-?p=indiana+demon+house+video+CNN&fr2=sb-top-search&fr=yfp-t-901-s&fp=1

Edited by jamesjr191
  • Like 2