Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do all paths lead to God?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:28 PM

Maybe they would SC, but the concept of god and/or goddess, is that it surpasses the human limitations.  

You are female, and I am male.  And, despite any surgical advances to the contrary, that is what we will remain in this incarnation.  God/Goddess, transcends the boundaries of male/female, and encompasses both aspects of creation.  Some folks just find it easier to refer to any celestial entity, in a familiar frame of reference rather than go against the 'norm'.  It's also a helluva lot easier to say/type "God" or "Goddess" than it is to continually say/type "God and/or Goddess".

Me, I find it amusing when people get so polarized over the gender of the deity.  I was at a seminar once, where the speaker referred to the deity as "she", about a dozen people got up and left at that point.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#17    Super Pancake

Super Pancake

Bwa Ha HA HA HA

• 4,131 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(JMPD1 @ Jun 15 2005, 08:28 AM)
I was at a seminar once, where the speaker referred to the deity as "she", about a dozen people got up and left at that point.

View Post

no.gif I wish god did have a gender and the look on those peoples faces would be priceless if god was female.

Anyway I don't believe there is a path, for all you know God could have been the person you see in the mirror. laugh.gif

#18    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,736 posts

• "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(BFG @ Jun 15 2005, 02:37 AM)
QUOTE(Kismit @ Jun 15 2005, 07:27 PM)
So we can surmise that, all paths do lead to God, they just twist and turn in different directions.

View Post

I'm not sure about that personally.  Further on my OP, how can a suicide bomber who kills hundreds of people in the name of his/her God be on the same path as someone who may not even believe in God but lives in harmony with their environment and treat all life as sacred.

That's my two cents worth.

View Post

I used to think like that  also when I was caught up in the reward system of religion on the note of the suicide bomber they really believe they are doing that for God for their religion (I"m not for killing in any form)  Actually they are conditioned from early what a hero they will be where does that idea come from I say from theology,  Ever read the Quran reference after reference of a God that commands killing even in our bible, So is it wrong or a huge misunderstanding of God Society sells a punishing vengeful God ,who has a low self esteem, and if his not her but if his needs aren't meet well need I say more. Thankyou for that point.

#19    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:05 AM

It's a good point Silver. But in the end it doesn't matter who we worship,  we will all go through the same process at the end. Wether it is a simple process of decay, making us one with the Earth, and I feel we can considered the earth as a God like entity. Or wether we all die and go to a spiritual realm good or bad, it's all God's/Goddess's creation.

#20    GodsMessenger

GodsMessenger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:12 AM

How can all paths lead to God?

GOOD choices and actions and motives  lead to God
Bad choices and actions and motives lead away from God.

Simple duality tells us this.

if there is an up there is a down which is AWAY from the up
if there is a hot there is a cold which is AWAY from the hot
if there is a good there is a bad which is AWAY from the good.

#21    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:20 AM

dualistic thought is the greatest of all idiocies!

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#22    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:53 AM

Dualism doesn't work, it's actually impossible.  If there is an up there and a down there then there is also an in the middle. Three sides, and it is no longer a dualistic principle. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it.

#23    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:26 AM

The way I see it, be a good person, be good to others. You don't neccessarily have to live by any commandment or doctrine. Whatever you choose to be, be a good one. A life well lived will have many benefits.  original.gif

#24    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,736 posts

• "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:06 AM

I'm not familiar with the dualism concept, could someone explain it.  The way that I understand (without hot there is no cold without love there is no hate) Hot is the lack of cold , fear is the lack of love, up is the lack off down. Same energys just different perspectives, yet one cannot be without the other, you can't have hot unless you have cold you cannot have female unless you have male, because what would we compare it to, the circle is always complete meaning it leads back to itself.    If the  universe is inherently good( the universe not the world) meaning all there is is love if you are really looking Life is self supporting self sustaining nature always adjusts isself to support any condition The physical system shows us that , just look around than how could NOT any path lead to God, again only theology sells us on the idea that there is a specific way. Could someone explain dualism to me????????????

#25    Super Pancake

Super Pancake

Bwa Ha HA HA HA

• 4,131 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:21 AM

Dualism is often described as a doctrine that the universe is under the dominion of two opposing principles one of which is good and the other evil. We can also broaden it to other areas as well as you stated hot and cold, love and hate.

The trouble with dualism is that there is no universal meaning for all the dualistic values we create, also people do not consider themselves evil in their actions. A man can kill your father for whatever reason, you will consider it an evil act and maybe go as far as calling him an evil man, but the man would justify his actions and said he did a good. Who is right when it comes to good and evil the man or you.  

Anyway you get the point, right and wrong and all the other dualistic values is all perspective not universal, we are all God's to judge.

#26    GodsMessenger

GodsMessenger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(Kismit @ Jun 15 2005, 08:53 PM)
Dualism doesn't work, it's actually impossible.  If there is an up there and a down there then there is also an in the middle. Three sides, and it is no longer a dualistic principle. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it.

View Post

Obviously there is a greater idiocy than dualism but I won't respond to that message.

If there is a middle and you are talking about up and down then it is the middle of up and down.

If you are at the top THEN there would be no up ... if you are at the bottom then there would be no down. But if you are in the middle then there definately is an up AND a down.

#27    GodsMessenger

GodsMessenger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(Sheri berri @ Jun 16 2005, 12:06 AM)
I'm not familiar with the dualism concept, could someone explain it.  The way that I understand (without hot there is no cold without love there is no hate) Hot is the lack of cold , fear is the lack of love, up is the lack off down. Same energys just different perspectives, yet one cannot be without the other, you can't have hot unless you have cold you cannot have female unless you have male, because what would we compare it to, the circle is always complete meaning it leads back to itself.    If the  universe is inherently good( the universe not the world) meaning all there is is love if you are really looking Life is self supporting self sustaining nature always adjusts isself to support any condition The physical system shows us that , just look around than how could NOT any path lead to God, again only theology sells us on the idea that there is a specific way. Could someone explain dualism to me????????????

View Post

I was not talking about dualism the theology I was just talking about dualism the concept of relativism. hot cold, up down, fast slow, light heavy.

#28    GodsMessenger

GodsMessenger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(Super Pancake @ Jun 16 2005, 06:21 AM)
Dualism is often described as a doctrine that the universe is under the dominion of two opposing principles one of which is good and the other evil. We can also broaden it to other areas as well as you stated hot and cold, love and hate.

The trouble with dualism is that there is no universal meaning for all the dualistic values we create, also people do not consider themselves evil in their actions. A man can kill your father for whatever reason, you will consider it an evil act and maybe go as far as calling him an evil man, but the man would justify his actions and said he did a good. Who is right when it comes to good and evil the man or you. 

Anyway you get the point, right and wrong and all the other dualistic values is all perspective not universal, we are all God's to judge.

View Post

As noted above that was not what I was referring to.

But even the concept of Godly judgement is the same. Only God can judge because God represents Absolute Truth and Righteousness. But no man can no God or Absolutes, so no man can judge absolutely, we can only have our opwn perceptions and opinions.

#29    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,932 posts

• Practice Random Acts of Kindness, they return to you!

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:34 PM

Matthew 7:14   Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Most people do not want to know the truth they only want confirmation for what they think is truth.

#30    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:36 PM

...we can only have our opwn perceptions and opinions.

And there is the absolute answer.  It is all perception, opinion, and belief.

Of course, perception can be skewed, opinion can be erroneous, and belief can be misplaced.

You have your faith, but it is based on your perceptions, opinions, and desires.  As is my skepticism.

So, how can anyone claim that theirs is the ONLY path to god?  None of us really has any concrete proof of our beliefs, just our perceptions thereof.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users