Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

FAA to regulate business on the moon

NightScreams

Doesn't this kinda squash the theory that aliens on the moon were the reason we never went back or that they warned us away? I mean here the govt is looking to take steps in commercializing lunar property and commercial rights after all these alleged photo's of NASA photoshopping moon surface pics and other such theories of Alein ruins, mining and conspiracies about what's up with the moon. Further proof that all of that stuff was a series of hoaxes perpetuated by paranormal fanatics.......that or I guess we are about to force the Aliens to walk the trail of tears, it won't be the first time we shoved the natives out of the way.

http://finance.yahoo...-120723692.html

The United States government has taken a new, though preliminary, step to encourage commercial development of the moon.

According to documents obtained by Reuters, U.S. companies can stake claims to lunar territory through an existing licensing process for space launches.

Edited by NightScreams

This is what gets me, who has the rights to the moon?

• Like 1

The Lunatics, er Lunarians, er Lunamen...er, whatever....nationalize, or worlderize existing assets in a hostile Lunar takeover, Moon juntas everywhere....it's....ah....lunacy......

• Like 6

What is there to gain from this? It all seems a bit "luney," don't you think?

Okay, that was bad. I'm so sorry everyone.

• Like 1

Doesn't this kinda squash the theory that aliens on the moon were the reason we never went back or that they warned us away? I mean here the govt is looking to take steps in commercializing lunar property and commercial rights after all these alleged photo's of NASA photoshopping moon surface pics and other such theories of Alein ruins, mining and conspiracies about what's up with the moon. Further proof that all of that stuff was a series of hoaxes perpetuated by paranormal fanatics.......that or I guess we are about to force the Aliens to walk the trail of tears, it won't be the first time we shoved the natives out of the way.

http://finance.yahoo...-120723692.html

no, this is only proof that the federal government is looking for a new tax base.

• Like 1

This is what gets me, who has the rights to the moon?

the usa does, we landed a man there first. just like the spanish owned the new world. they even got the pope to verify it.

I don't see a problem. The U.S. has been giving green cards to aliens for a long time.

• Like 1

Hmm what about the Outer Space Treaty?

The Outer Space Treaty, formally the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies, is a treaty that forms the basis of international space law. The treaty was opened for signature in the United States, the United Kingdom, and the Soviet Union on 27 January 1967, and entered into force on 10 October 1967. As of May 2013, 102 countries are parties to the treaty, while another 27 have signed the treaty but have not completed ratification.

The treaty explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet, claiming that they are the common heritage of mankind.[3] Art. II of the Treaty states that "outer space, including the Moon and other celestial bodies, is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means". However, the State that launches a space object retains jurisdiction and control over that object.[4] The State is also liable for damages caused by their space object.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty

• Like 5

the usa does, we landed a man there first. just like the spanish owned the new world. they even got the pope to verify it.

Is that legally correct? Or just your assumption?

Hmm what about the Outer Space Treaty?

Cool didnt know about that treaty, thats cool. So nobody OWNS the object, but has jurisdiction over it...?

And completely and utterly false.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 5

Cool didnt know about that treaty, thats cool. So nobody OWNS the object, but has jurisdiction over it...?

And that was signed in 67, the US landed on the moon in 69

• Like 3

Nobody owns the celestial body. The jurisdiction and control is reserved for things like satellites or rovers etc. (objects) that interact in some manner with the celestial bodies.

• Like 1

My understanding of this is that the FAA would control the space traffic from American launch and landing sites, just as they do air traffic from American airports... They would not actually control the "bases"...

• Like 2

Nobody owns the celestial body. The jurisdiction and control is reserved for things like satellites or rovers etc. (objects) that interact in some manner with the celestial bodies.

So if I was rich and powerful and had the money to build a rocket and a susiable house on another Celestrial body, like the moon, Do I need any special permission from anyone to:

1. Fly out of Earth

2. Land on the Moon

3. Set a house on the Moon

4. Live there

Thanks peoples.

• Like 1

So if I was rich and powerful and had the money to build a rocket and a susiable house on another Celestrial body, like the moon, Do I need any special permission from anyone to:

1. Fly out of Earth

2. Land on the Moon

3. Set a house on the Moon

4. Live there

Thanks peoples.

No, you wouldn't need anyone's permission. However even at that you would only own and have control/jurisdiction over your residence, not the ground it sits upon.

No, you wouldn't need anyone's permission. However even at that you would only own and have control/jurisdiction over your residence, not the ground it sits upon.

Thank you for your advice.

(off to start fund raising for my house on the moon :alien: )

Regards,

• Like 2

Regulation of Moon land sounds like a good idea. The last man to walk on the moon (Eugene Cernan) put his daughters initials in the lunar dust there, they are still there today. There are many artefacts from our early exploration days. It would be good if we could preserve these moments intact for historical record and make sure future missions do not destroy historical sites. If we all died out tomorrow, the moon would tell someone else we once existed when everything on Earth is taken back by nature.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

We at least can try to make it another Hundred years B-4 we do ourselfs in ! But If your really young like under Five years old And for some strange reason reading this, Buy Stk and Land above 900 feet.ASL ! ANd DOnt listen to us in here ! :tu:

• Like 1

Regulation of Moon land sounds like a good idea. The last man to walk on the moon (Eugene Cernan) put his daughters initials in the lunar dust there, they are still there today. There are many artefacts from our early exploration days. It would be good if we could preserve these moments intact for historical record and make sure future missions do not destroy historical sites. If we all died out tomorrow, the moon would tell someone else we once existed when everything on Earth is taken back by nature.

Does this mean you believe there are aliens out there who could actually get to our Solar System?

Ultimately it comes down to who is able to uphold a claim on the moon. A handful of countries have the capability to get into space, none at present have the capability to send people to the moon ie: currently have spacecraft, built and ready to go.

This will not really be an issue for many decades. As a moon base is likely not going to be 100% self sufficient, at least not at first, any hold on the moon is going to be shaky at best. In my opinion no one country is ever going to be able to lay claim to the Moon, any potential settlement will likely be international, not least to spread the costs of such a venture.

Ultimately it comes down to who is able to uphold a claim on the moon. A handful of countries have the capability to get into space, none at present have the capability to send people to the moon ie: currently have spacecraft, built and ready to go.

This will not really be an issue for many decades. As a moon base is likely not going to be 100% self sufficient, at least not at first, any hold on the moon is going to be shaky at best. In my opinion no one country is ever going to be able to lay claim to the Moon, any potential settlement will likely be international, not least to spread the costs of such a venture.

Sadly, it may ultimately depend on what, if anything, is found on the Moon. The Antarctic Treaty of 1961 has stood for over half a century, but if large quantities of oil and gas are found down there, sooner or later there will be disputes over who who owns it. (I am not of course suggesting there will be oil or gas on the Moon, but there are likely to be rare earth metals etc.)

Does this mean you believe there are aliens out there who could actually get to our Solar System?

Of course!! It would be a one way trip, be huge and take a very long time, but yes of course. We could be at Alpha Centauri right now if not the Nuclear Treaty Test ban. If we wanted to build a generational ship, point it in the most positive direction and then wait a few hundred years then we would find a habitable planet, perhaps even life. What stops us and others would be resources. It is an immense undertaking, it would not nothing like the silly stories of sports sauces zipping to another solar system overnight and barely fit the occupants in it.

Have you not heard of Project Orion (Nuclear Propulsion)? I rabble on about it all the time here.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Sadly, it may ultimately depend on what, if anything, is found on the Moon. The Antarctic Treaty of 1961 has stood for over half a century, but if large quantities of oil and gas are found down there, sooner or later there will be disputes over who who owns it. (I am not of course suggesting there will be oil or gas on the Moon, but there are likely to be rare earth metals etc.)

He3 is thought to be abundant on the moon.

Of course!! It would be a one way trip, be huge and take a very long time, but yes of course. We could be at Alpha Centauri right now if not the Nuclear Treaty Test ban. If we wanted to build a generational ship, point it in the most positive direction and then wait a few hundred years then we would find a habitable planet, perhaps even life. What stops us and others would be resources. It is an immense undertaking, it would not nothing like the silly stories of sports sauces zipping to another solar system overnight and barely fit the occupants in it.

Have you not heard of Project Orion (Nuclear Propulsion)? I rabble on about it all the time here.

I recall reading about Project Orion many years ago, so I looked up some recent articles. A "manned" interstellar voyage of that nature is an enormous undertaking, requiring global cooperation, perhaps for decades. The motives behind a mission on that scale would have to be far more than just scientific curiosity. I wonder if the situation is that by the time a civilization has the need to travel to another star, it has done so much damage to its own planet/society that it is too late to mount such a huge project. That would be very sad indeed.

• Like 2