Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zombi

EnglishStudent526

I would like to know where you heard of zombies as their origin. What i heard, was that it originated from vodoo, and was the effect of a plant. What others have said was that it was a rare disease. any others? please try and give a full explanation. I want to hear more

I would like to know where you heard of zombies as their origin. What i heard, was that it originated from vodoo, and was the effect of a plant.

Me too. It was explained on an episode of Miami Vice.

You need only but Google, however if that's too much for you then here. Click this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie

Everything you want to know about them and more.

Honestly, people have the power of the internet at their finger tips and yet, for some reason, they can't handle a simple search engine.

• Like 2

Zombi with an i ,differs from zombie with an ie .

Zombies are a Hollywood creation .

Zombis come from african lore,via Haiti and beyond .

It's very staunchly believed in areas where its part of the religion .

There are two kinds of zombis,theoretically . They can be one in the same ,but in Haiti ,people swear corpses can be reanimated .

Watch The Serpent and the Rainbow . There is also a documentary on the subject ,highlighting Haitian lores ,and how Zombi powder is made.

You need only but Google, however if that's too much for you then here. Click this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie

Everything you want to know about them and more.

Honestly, people have the power of the internet at their finger tips and yet, for some reason, they can't handle a simple search engine.

i often ask even though i have googled as too find out what others think? im sure most do the same

i find umers better than a single google search as any one can make a web page and wiki isnt always right

Edited by Armchair Educated
  • Like 2

Yes, and we have a lot of serious zombie experts here all ready to share their knowledge with you.

Please......

:passifier:

• Like 2

I didn't want to use google... I wanted to hear from you people. damn... Where you heard it and such

There are two types of "zombi's"?

how so?

Zombi with an i ,differs from zombie with an ie .

Zombies are a Hollywood creation .

Zombis come from african lore,via Haiti and beyond .

It's very staunchly believed in areas where its part of the religion .

There are two kinds of zombis,theoretically . They can be one in the same ,but in Haiti ,people swear corpses can be reanimated .

Watch The Serpent and the Rainbow . There is also a documentary on the subject ,highlighting Haitian lores ,and how Zombi powder is made.

I saw a documentary about zombies in hati. I think it was done with the poison from a puffer fish. The witchdoctor/voodoo practictioner would choose a victom and poison them, it made them look dead. The family would bury them, the WD would dig them up that night and give an antidote. If it worked he kept them prisoner as his slave, if not, he would put them bac in the grave. They said it fails more often then worked, the antidote that is., There was one proven case, a man who regained his memory, it effects a persons memory, and he went back to his family. They proved his ID and showed his grave marker.

Absolutely DO NOT watch "The Serpent & the Rainbow" for information on Haiti, Voodoo and Zombies.

It's a horrible movie, based on a very good book.

Read the book. It's a factual account of a Harvard botanist who investigated the Zombie phenomenon in Haiti and discovered the use of a drug that great slows the heart rate.

It's a fascinating, believable book.

The movie based on the book is trash. It's made to be scary and it's so bad it's laughable. It's only resemblance to the book is the title and the location: Haiti.

But by all means read the book. It was published in the early 1980s and may be out of print. But you may find a paperback in a used book store.

• 1 month later...

I first heard about zombies during the video nasty craze of the early 1980s. There seemed to be dozens of zombie movies around at the time.

There are two types of "zombi's"?

how so?

Sorry .Missed this til now.

In Haiti ,and in voodoo in general ,they believe a dead body can be animated .

When people die ,families sometimes hold vigils at the grave,for 48 hours,so the newly buried body cannot be stolen .

They steal them,to reanimate them ,or so they say .

That's Zombi type one .

Zombi type two ,is the kind that was never dead ,but slipped the Zombi powder ,and went into a type of coma . The powder essentially slows down body functions to such a lul,that vital signs are not perceptible.

But,the person isn't dead. It's similar to the mammalian diving reflex . Life is ongoing ,but metabolism is so slow,nothing is obvious ,and the person is declared dead.

These people are then buried ,and wake up from their near death like state .

It's said they lose all free will after this happens,and whomever slipped them the Zombi powder ,is now their master ,and they follow their masters orders.

I suspect many brain cells die during their dormant time,which leaves them will little memory of who they were .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Absolutely DO NOT watch "The Serpent & the Rainbow" for information on Haiti, Voodoo and Zombies.

It's a horrible movie, based on a very good book.

Read the book. It's a factual account of a Harvard botanist who investigated the Zombie phenomenon in Haiti and discovered the use of a drug that great slows the heart rate.

It's a fascinating, believable book.

The movie based on the book is trash. It's made to be scary and it's so bad it's laughable. It's only resemblance to the book is the title and the location: Haiti.

But by all means read the book. It was published in the early 1980s and may be out of print. But you may find a paperback in a used book store.

Well I meant its factual in that they studied and became aware of Zombi powder,because of those events . I didn't mean the guy calling himself baron samdi was real,although he kind of was. The leader of the ton ton macoutes did practice heavy duty voodoo,and he did call himself baron samdi incarnate

I cant remember where I first heard about zombies to tell you the truth, although once I found out about them I was hooked to say the least,

I heard a tale about puffer fish venom putting a victim into a coma where the heart has slowed down so much the victim seems dead. Then the Shaman gives the victim a antidote bringing them back from the dead. The culture of the places this was happening was so steeped in superstition and voodoo that they actually believed it. certain places in Haiti and Africa still use superstition as a means of control.

So called Shamans are trafficking women into the UK and forcing them into prostitution under the threat of zombification...

• Like 1

i often ask even though i have googled as too find out what others think? im sure most do the same

i find umers better than a single google search as any one can make a web page and wiki isnt always right

You're right, wiki isn't...

According to the West African tenets of Vodou, a dead person can be revived by a bokor, or sorcerer. Zombies remain under the control of the bokor since they have no will of their own. "Zombi" is also another name of the Vodou snake lwa Damballah Wedo, of Niger–Congo origin; it is akin to the Kikongo word nzambi, which means "god".

keninsc: You see what I bolded? Wiki just said that the undead coming to eat your brain are akin to god... Wiki is so accurate ;)

Btw: I have personally seen some African forms of zombi, the ones I saw are not undead.. Just in a submissive trance that makes them appear to be undead. They can easily be turned back to normal if the "master" would just "release them" or if another person knew how to "take them from their master" and then "release them"...

Edited by xFelix

• 1 month later...

Zombi is the name of a snake-deity in some cults of West African Vodun and Haitian Vodou.

Zombi is a Creole word (thought to be derived from Nzambi) supreme god of the Bacongo people of Angola.

Zombi is the name of a snake-deity in some cults of West African Vodun and Haitian Vodou.

Zombi is a Creole word (thought to be derived from Nzambi) supreme god of the Bacongo people of Angola.

Thank you for you input

I grew up a few versions of zombi/zombie....

One was the occult or religious version- Out of the south and the islands, folks that were drugged. Never dead.

Another was out of the movies- folks that were dead and come back in their original physical form.

Another was necromancer- more of a European version of the southern and islands version, but the folks were dead to begin with.

Another version was drug zombies- real living folks who's brains got scrambled with too many drugs, and having no religious, occult, or movie reference. Heard of a couple accounts of this similar thing due to shell shock, or other extremely traumatic event.

I guess the only thing in common they all had was not being in grasp of their own mental functions.

What about Mind control? like using radio waves to control peoples minds?