Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

9 Big Myths We're Being Peddled

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#106    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

View PostRavenHawk, on 27 October 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

You’ll find heavy criticism in just about everything.  That doesn’t change the work that went into the research in this novel.  You’ll find that stereotypes are not necessarily bad.  It presented the good Arab and the bad Arab.  For the story, that’s all we needed to know.  The contrast may be simplistic but it is accurate.

One of these days I will.  But I’m not going to do it to placate you.  Knowing that a screenplay leaves out a lot of the story and knowing that Dalton Trumbo wrote the screenplay, I can guess or extrapolate back that it (the novel) is probably accurate.  It goes into the inner struggle of groups like the Irgun and Haganah.  The struggle with the British and the Mufti.  The post war detention camps and the people determined to die to find a home.  What some went thought in the Nazi camps.  Etc., etc.  It’s a level of accuracy needed to tell the story.  Nothing more.

One could say that “The Right Stuff” has historical distortions and heavily contrived stereotypes but I wouldn’t hesitate to present it in a history class to introduce the student to the space program.

Do you understand anything?  You have the historical backdrop and then you fill it with a love story or a story about the hero, etc.  The characters aren’t meant to be factually historical even though some will be based on real people, such as Ari may be based on Moshe Dayan.  This is why in my original post I believe that Uris had probably incorporated Ruth’s thoughts on certain things, especially some things with life in the kibbutz.  How much more accurate can you be than to incorporate the thoughts of those that were actually there?

I would love to read this story and compare it to the screenplay and the film.  But it would probably be better if you do it.  I already know what to expect.  So I would be biased as you would probably put it.  You could more easily point out what you consider inaccurate.

Uris is but one source.  I guess you expect only to get your information from one source, whatever that may be.  I try to have a broad collection of points of view.  When you have such a broad base, you can usually discern what actually happened.

I would never read historical fiction in the place of real history written by a real historian. And no, all the Arab characters in the book were all represented popular stereotypes. Simplistic ... yes! Accurate... NO!

By fact, none of the main characters are ... Arab? No. Which means the reader is only going to read a biased one view propagandist fictional rubbish. Why would I want to read Exodus when there are no major Arab characters? And what Arab characters there are, they are popular western stereotypes.

Now one historical fiction writer I would consider reading and know I read some great history in fictional trappings is Nigel Tranter. I do want to read this author's trilogy on Robert The Bruce and other works.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#107    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:22 AM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 27 October 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

I would never read historical fiction in the place of real history written by a real historian.

Really? Seems to me and others that it was the opposite.

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#108    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,490 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

View Postand then, on 15 October 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

So your point is that Israel is an illegitimate State, or as the Arabs like to say - Zionist Entity.  Fine.  You and they are absolutely within your rights to FEEL about the situation any way you want... But about 6 million Jewish human beings live on the land now, despite multiple attempts to strangle the nascent State in the crib.  They have the best military in the region - one of the best in the world.  They have nuclear weapons.  And most importantly they have an unbreakable will to survive.  The one thing they lack and that the common Israeli seems to want more than anything else is PEACE.  There is a strong peace movement and the government will eventually bow to  pressure by the world again and they will attempt to make the "tough choices" and give the Palestinians a lot of what they desire.  And then the Palestinians who never missed a chance to miss a chance, will start attacking them yet again.   And supporters of the Palis will continue to decry Israeli aggression.  And the really sickening thing is that no one seems to see the end of the season of trouble and what fruit all this is going to bear eventually.

LOL.  What a contorted view of reality.

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users